News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Morton & Eden is selling the foreign awards from the collection of the American Numismatic Society, in New York. This is a collection put together about 80 years ago and has a remarkable range of material. This is part 1 of a 2-part sale, I believe.

Ach du liebes Bisschen, did you see the 1813 EK Spange? What a great collection of items, and the estimates seem ridiculously low.

M&E tends to have low estimates. They seem to think this encourages bidding. Maybe they have a point. But non-British stuff has not been strong in UK auctions over the last couple of years. We shall see . . . .

It is my understanding that there may be another installment coming.

Guest Rick Research

And why is a NEW YORK institution "de-accessioning" (I :angry: that euphemism for "we're cashing in on your 'permanent' donations") to a BRITISH auction house?

Are there no auctioneers in The Big Apple?

Can it be

SHAME

????

The ANS is selling its non-US medal collection to fund its acquisition of items more central to their core interests. The board accepted proposlas from a number of US and overseas auction houses, but chose to go with Morton & Eden.

They chose not to liquidate their US collection. I don't know what sealed that decision, but it may have been the discovery that they could not sell their Medals of Honor. At one point, they thought they could get a waiver to Title 18, Section 704, to sell them. It would be interesting to see what a Civil War Medal of Honor to a sailor aboard USS Kearsarge would bring in the open market. Or some Davis Guard Medals. We may never know.

• 2 months later...
    • 9 months later...

They just had the final (third) part of the ANS sale today.

I went 3 for 12, which is better than 0 for 12, I guess?!

:jumping:

One of the rarer items, not of much direct interest to me, but super-rare:

Edited by Ed_Haynes

And why is a NEW YORK institution "de-accessioning" (I :angry: that euphemism for "we're cashing in on your 'permanent' donations") to a BRITISH auction house?

Are there no auctioneers in The Big Apple?

Can it be

SHAME

????

Certainly agree, all the good people would be horrified :o to learn that their donations can no longer be viewed by the public, in hindsight would have been better for the owners to leave their collections to family, big big :banger: mistake now. I for one always :D enjoyed visiting the ANS and view their amazing collection now no longer possible :( . Tons of auction houses in NYC, I feel collections large or small if formed in the States should be sold in the States. In the past had good experiences with MortonandEden ( quick to reply ) more then I can say for some of the other foreign auction houses.