News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Just wondering whether anyone can confirm what I think reads the award of the Iron Cross 2nd Class in January 1915 and also the wound badge in July 1918 (less certain, does not seem to fit with German script but cannot think other than 'verw. abzeichen' would fit), but cannot make out in what grade. I have highlighted these areas. I cannot make sense of the remainder of the script, so if anyone could have an attempt it would be appreciated. Does it show any other medals or distinctions?

It is to a a soldier of the 175th West Prussian Infantry - more of the other documents are (mistakenly) in the AH section.

Thanks,

Richard

german medals.JPG

Hello!

Yes! The name could help.

9.3.-19.3.17: Revierbehandlung (sick or wounded-treatment in the regimental area.

25.4.17 Sanitätskompagnie (Medical company) N°86.

In March/April 1917 the regiment was at the Somme and  the "Siegfried-Front".

But why? I can´ t read.

Edited by The Prussian

18 minutes ago, The Prussian said:

Hello!

Yes! The name could help.

9.3.-19.3.17: Revierbehandlung (sick or wounded-treatment in the regimental area.

25.4.17 Sanitätskompagnie (Medical company) N°86.

But why? I can´ t read.

19.3.17 Schürfwunde l. Unterarm
    25.4.17 Zahnbehandlung

Many Thanx!

But that was not enough for a wound badge...😁

And I have a problem with Minenwerfer-Kompagnie 343. An MWK with that number did not exist!

But I´ve got some crazy ideas in my crazy head...

The Inf.Rgt.343 was formed by:

I.Btl. of Ers.Btl./IR129

II.Btl. of Ers.Btl./IR141

III.Btl. of Ers.Btl./IR175

August 8, 1918 a Minenwerfer-Kompagnie was set-up in that regiment (formed by Minenwerfer-Kompagnie 86)

Maybe he was transferred to Inf.Rgt.343 and came in their MWK?

Note: The Inf.Rgt.343 belonged to the 86th Infantry Divison.

And the medical company 86 was in that Division too!

Edited by The Prussian

Thanks everyone for the help, here is the rest of the Militarpass over several uploads - has a very long list of where his unit was stationed inside it, glued to the pages.

His name was Otto SEMRAU. I can find one entry for someone of that name who was married in 1912 in Wissek, Wirsitz, Posen, West Prussia - ties in with the 175th's recruitment area. Born 4.4.1887.

Cheers

Richard

20231016_164032 (1).jpg

20231016_163951 (1).jpg

20231016_163913 (1).jpg

20231016_164156.jpg

20231016_164133.jpg

20231016_164144.jpg

And the remainder. I also have his certificates for his German, Austrian and Hungarian awards. No EK2 or Wound Badge papers, unfortunately.

20231016_164047 (1).jpg

20231016_164041~2 (1).jpg

20231016_163936.jpg

20231016_155659 (1).jpg

Edited by Rich

Thank you very much.

Semrau did seem to have a very busy war to come through it unscathed. That list of battles and frontline duty is immensely long.

So he was with 343 IR for much of the war, 1915-18, in the mortar section? He had a very early EK2 award, so it is a pity it does not elaborate about why he received it.

I wonder what he received the Wound Badge for - presumably not for the abrasion or the dental treatment? - EDIT:  Thanks Andy, I have just seen the casualty list you posted. I assume he got the medal retrospectively when it was introduced in 1918. I also wonder whether he received the EK2 following being WIA (presumably at the Battle of Lodz)?

And, for completeness, here are the medal certificates that came with the book. 

Unfortunately no Iron Cross or Wound Badge certificates with them.

20231016_155904.jpg

20231016_155943.jpg

20231016_161941 (1).jpg

Edited by Rich

I would assume he received his Verw.Abzeichen for this injury:

image.png.bf1f672e6293c6797c585e4d7570bf3f.png

It reads: "Am 22.11.14 verwundet, Alexandrow,

But I can´t decipher the abbreviations within the brackets: (G. G. b or l. U.-Arm) - they are typical medical abbreviations I think.

Regards

Christian

Hello!

G.G. means "Gewehr-Geschoß".

Rifle-bullet.

l. U-arm = linker Unterarm = left forearm.

That was the reason for the wounded badge.

By the way. The 1934 Cross was not a war medal. It was awarded to all front-line soldiers who took part in the war.

Edited by The Prussian

Thank you both - remarkable help from all involved and much appreciated.

So, Otto Semrau was injured 22.11.14 by a rifle bullet at Alexandrow, which would have been right during the Battle of Lodz, in which the 175th Regiment was involved. Confirmed on the casualty list published some weeks later, which Andy shared. (The German list shows a remarkably similar delay between injury and reporting to the official lists in the British Army during WW1.) Received the Wound Badge in July '18 after it had been established.

Edited by Rich

This is the part of military collecting I enjoy the most along with the medal collecting and research.

I have approx 150 Militarpas that I'm slowly going through and trying to trace the backgrounds of the people in them, along with award documents.

My main area of interest is the Saxon Regiments that were on the Flanders front as this ties up with my Grandfather who was with the 23rd London Reg at the battle of Messines on the 7th July 1917 and was wounded there. Finding out about the  Saxon forces that were opposing the attack and the guys in the battalions is a fascinating insight into history.

Mike

I mainly collect British medals, but I have always had a soft spot for the paperwork that comes with the medals from other nations, mostly WW1 and the German side most especially - I think it was from watching All Quiet on the Western Front so many times when I was younger. The Militarpass is a remarkably good document. 

It's unfamiliar territory for me, but I've been amazed what can be unearthed about the individual soldiers.

Edited by Rich

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I mainly collect British medals, but I have always had a soft spot for the paperwork that comes with the medals from other nations, mostly WW1 and the German side most especially - I think it was from watching All Quiet on the Western Front so many times when I was younger. The Militarpass is a remarkably good document. 

It's unfamiliar territory for me, but I've been amazed what can be unearthed about the individual soldiers.

Your right Rich, with the German pass everything is contained in them, unlike those from the British in WWI. For more information on our troops you have to trawl through masses of archive references just to find out anything on their service record or awards. But, at least our medals are impressed with the name, rank and service number, unlike German awards.

6 hours ago, Mike Huxley said:

This is the part of military collecting I enjoy the most along with the medal collecting and research.

I have approx 150 Militarpas that I'm slowly going through and trying to trace the backgrounds of the people in them, along with award documents.

My main area of interest is the Saxon Regiments that were on the Flanders front as this ties up with my Grandfather who was with the 23rd London Reg at the battle of Messines on the 7th July 1917 and was wounded there. Finding out about the  Saxon forces that were opposing the attack and the guys in the battalions is a fascinating insight into history.

Mike

Hello Mike!

I assume, you know this page?

https://www.royalsaxonarmy.co.uk/index.php/our-publications