News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A few of my labor awards

Next up is the Labor Distinction Medal:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Please ignore the price sticker... this is another one I got in one of those big trade deals years ago... I've nowhere near that in this piece and I just never took the sticker off.

And last but not least the Veteran of Labor medal:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Again please ignore the price sticker. I guess I have to pull those off one of these days. :speechless::blush:

Again, a nice set of medals which I think, for the most part, are rather underrated.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Yes, nice awards, and frequently and systematically under-rated. We have, I think, free-standing threads on all (most?) of these labor awards.

See, for example:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7099

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1830

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7777

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7767

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7773

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7771

And so on . . . there is a lot of information on this forum!

Those are very nice!

I have a new appreciation of the labor medals ever since I mounted them together. :)

Hi Eric,

Nice display! :D:beer: And fine looking awards as well. :cheers: I'm sure you know but the one second row from the bottom on the right is actually a Veteran Servicemans medal. And which one is the bottom on? That's one of the Umalatova awards, right? One of the anniversary medals I believe?

That's a nice looking case too (covet, covet, heavy on the covet! :rolleyes::lol: ). Where do you get those? I'm always looking for better ways to display my stuff. I've got a bunch of rikers but never enough. I've actually never just ordered riker mounts... I've tended to get them with medals, badges, etc. and they just came together. And after a few years the glass ends up seperating from the cardboard when the glue gives out. They get torn up... just a mess. Although I hear they've come out with them in plastic now instead of cardboard which may help. I like how they're easy to stack together, you can do great displays in them, they're easy to access and yet they generally don't take up a ton of space.

Again great display! Keep up the good work! :jumping:

Thanks for sharing, :cheers:

Dan

Yes, nice awards, and frequently and systematically under-rated. We have, I think, free-standing threads on all (most?) of these labor awards.

And so on . . . there is a lot of information on this forum!

Hi Ed,

Many thanks! :beer: Glad others agree on these... as even the medals seem to have very pleasing designs and as Eric has shown can make a great little display when put together with all their brother awards.

And yes, this club is an absolute treasure trove of information if one takes the time to look through and read everything that is available. There has been little I've searched for that hasn't at least been mentioned if not gone into in detail. I've learned so much and have much still to learn. This after studying this stuff since I was about five years old (I'm 43 now) and having collecting for around twenty-five years. There's always something new to learn or to discover about this terrific hobby. One can never get bored with it.

Thanks to great folks like you and the rest of the membership a militaria collector never needs to feel alone or isolated. We need only pop on here and we have a vast array of knowledge and resources at our fingertips, along with some good old fashioned comradeship... guess that's an appropriate word to use here in a Soviet forum. :rolleyes::lol: Just great people all pursuing the things they love and sharing with the rest of us. Just can't say enough good things about this place. :beer:

Dan

>Nice display! And fine looking awards as well. I'm sure you know but the one second row from the bottom on the right is actually a Veteran Servicemans medal.

Phahhhhhh...... Uh, yeah, I did know that. :banger:

Back to the ol' drawing board

>And which one is the bottom on? That's one of the Umalatova awards, right? One of the anniversary >medals I believe?

Yep. Anniversary of the October Revolution. I like it and it matches the bog boy in the upper left.

>That's a nice looking case too (covet, covet, heavy on the covet! ). Where do you get those?

These are damn nice, ain't they? I get 'em at the craft store called Michael's. Usually they're $29.99 but often the hole ailse is on sale for 30% off. Plus, they got the same style in smaller sizes.

> I've got a bunch of rikers but never enough.

Never been a big fan of Riker's mountings. Just something I don't like about them I guess.

Hi Eric,

No biggie on the Vet medal... it's an easy mistake that I've even seen dealers make. That and the Labor Vet medal just look so much alike, even down to their ribbons... it's almost like they were trying to screw us up! :lol: Methinks another commie plot has been discovered! :cheeky:

Thought so on the umalatova... they're really nice awards, especially in their use of enamels. I only have a few but hope to add more along with the Russian Federation awards. But money and time wise I often wish they'd stop putting stuff out for a few years just to allow me and everyone else to catch up! Seems they ended the USSR and then just went right into cranking out new awards working overtime all the while. Too little money, too little time, far too many shiney things! :rolleyes::lol:

I'll have to check that place out... those are really nice looking cases. On rikers they serve the purpose but they're not overly attractive like wood and the flocking inside can often drive me nuts! Seems to stick to stuff whenever I try to put a piece in or take one out and throws off everything else in the case. But they're inexpensive and far better than just chucking stuff into a box... heaven only knows how I've had to do that. I keep getting more goodies quicker than I can get cases for them. I have several big wood and metal display cases, but they're either too big for the space I have right now or they need new glass. :banger: One of my three nice locking aluminum display cases needs new glass put in and not quite sure where to get it done. Got broken right before we moved. :angry::speechless:

Dan :cheers:

Eric,

:jumping: GREAT display!!! :jumping: After i finish my campaign medal project I'll have to start on my labor group.

Dan,

Good collection of labor medals!! :cool:

:beer: Doc

Hi Doc,

Definitely worth going for. I'm still working on my campaigns as well. It's never ending isn't it? :D Of course, that's good... keeps us all off the streets! :rolleyes::lol:

Dan

>display cases needs new glass put in and not quite sure where to get it done.

Home Depot and Lowes sell glass and will cut it to size (beware the flunkies who work there though).

Try the local mom&pop hardware store or framing store. They can do it, too.

>display cases needs new glass put in and not quite sure where to get it done.

Home Depot and Lowes sell glass and will cut it to size (beware the flunkies who work there though).

Try the local mom&pop hardware store or framing store. They can do it, too.

Hi Eric,

Yeah, actually have dealt with them before down in Florida. Good glass but other than one guy they all seemed to be morons. And not just in the glass department. But we do have an excellent little home town hardware store here and they do glass... I've got a beautiful Case commemorative picture which is framed behind glass. One of two things that the glass broke in on our move. :banger: But lucky more didn't get broken... it's actually amazing as we had two big trucks and in one section of road we went through in Minnesota it was just bouncing up and down through nearly a third of the state! But they did a terrific job putting in new glass and you'd never know it happened. :D

Only thing on this aluminum case is that it has to be put in by someone familiar with those types of cases. They have to know how to get them apart and also have to be able to put the gasket seal in properly. But I think I may take it up and see what they can do, if anything. If not I may have to take it to one of the bigger cities.

But the other wood ones should be fairly simple and I'm sure they can handle it. Just have to wait a tad bit longer in order to build my war chest back up and then I'll take them over and let them have a crack at it.

Dan

>Thought so on the umalatova... they're really nice awards, especially in their use of enamels. I only have a few but hope to add more along with the Russian Federation awards.

Yeah, I like them a lot, too (the Umalatovs, that is). You and me are in the minority here.

Where abouts in Floriduh did you live Dan?

Eric & Dan, Add me to the list of those loving the Umalatovas. I just bought my first two. The medals are nicer than a lot of Soviet jubillee medals

Doc

Edited by Riley1965

Eric & Dan, Add me to the list of those loving the Umalatovas. I just bought my first two. The medals are nicer than a lot of Soviet jubillee medals

Doc

Personally, I like them MUCH better that that post-Soviet faux-Tsarist neo-Russian "stuff". At least the "Umalatova" have some history and some meaning behind them.

Doc

Hi Doc,

Before I run I'm finishing up these last few replies and caught this one. Which ones did you get? I got the "Order of Stalin" one with doc about a month or so ago but haven't had time to post it yet. It's the one similar to the Order of Lenin... just made a heck of a lot cheaper. It even pales in comparison to copies of the OL and that say's alot! ;)

I've put in a suggestion for discussion about the possibility of having a separate section for Russian Federation and umalatova awards but haven't heard anything back on it yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Really love the enamels on them... not like old world quality but better than just plain medals.

Hi Doc,

Before I run I'm finishing up these last few replies and caught this one. Which ones did you get? I got the "Order of Stalin" one with doc about a month or so ago but haven't had time to post it yet. It's the one similar to the Order of Lenin... just made a heck of a lot cheaper. It even pales in comparison to copies of the OL and that say's alot! ;)

I've put in a suggestion for discussion about the possibility of having a separate section for Russian Federation and umalatova awards but haven't heard anything back on it yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Really love the enamels on them... not like old world quality but better than just plain medals.

There is already a thread. Duplicate threads get lost.

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8152

• 3 years later...