News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Two Early Aviation Badges

Here are the first two things I'll share from the big group that I just brought home. Both are unusually oversized silver badges compared to badges that we are already familiar with.

I think that the ODVF badge is the Transcaucasus Federation variant of a known Russian badge. I think that the ZakAvia badge is a TransCaucasus Federation pre-Aeroflot commercial aviation badge. ZakAvia existed only from 1923-1925. I believe that both of these badges may be uncataloged and otherwise unknown in the west. I doubt that many other examples could still exist. However, if you own either of them or have even seen them somewhere before, please let me/us know about it.

Enjoy.

Chuck

These are a coupe of my early Friends of aviation society...great badges brilliantly executed! This one came in two variations CCCP and 1923...this is the 1923 award....oh and a solid gold version...never seen one...but it must be worth a fortune!

Chris

This thread is more of a yawner than I expected. I guess there isn't as much interest in early aviation as I thought. Well, I like it.

Chris, I have a variant of the badge that you showed us in post #3, but mine has CCCR in the circle inside the red star. A couple of weeks ago I was offered an example of the terrific badge you shared in post #4. However ... the banner had been snapped off the badge! The price? Only ... $100. Uh, no thanks.

As for your comment "the guys who trained with these early aviation society's which were a guise for future military expansion may have earned their military wings", you're exactly right. I have previously posted a couple of badges from the Tbilisi Flying Club. They trained mostly bomber pilots there. No, the Soviet Union wasn't much into the promotion of private flying lessons for the pure joy of flying. Theirs was an assembly line of military-trained pilots who could be, and were, called up on short notice.

Here is the entire group that came together with these two badges. That's a Georgian deputy's badge, of course, this one is number 281. The Red Banner of Labor is number 6613 and it is in pretty nice condition, with perfect enamel and much gilt left. The original recipient was said to be the personal pilot of a Commissar of the Narkomat for Food Production. Somewhere around here I may have his photo, but I can't put my finger on it right now.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

I for one find this thread very interesting, but I have unfortunately nothing to share

Keep 'em coming :beer:

Jan

Chuck...I think Jan hit it on the head...I think forum members do enjoy looking at these early badges and it is not the yawn you mentioned, it is just that they are so few .

The the WW2 Pilots wings for example...few people know they were issued and genuine intricate friendship badges are also hard to find and getting very expensive when they do.

Great grouping by the way with that early screwbacks Red Banner of Labour and when they were awarded sparingly

Chris

Great grouping by the way with that early screwbacks Red Banner of Labour and when they were awarded sparingly

Chris

I thought no one would ever notice! And it's only #6613. It probably helps when your boss is a Narkomat chief.

You two are probably right. I know that I would like to see more examples of early aviation badges. If anyone out there is wondering whether or not to share ... please do.

Chuck

Chuck,

This is not a yawner of a thread. :jumping: I am thoroughly enjoying these gems!!! :jumping:

Keep 'em coming, PLEASE!!!

:beer: Doc

Hi Doc and Others

I'm glad to see that others enjoy this topic as much as I do.

I have one more outstanding early group, with photos, then you will have seen pretty much everything I have in this field. I'm not sure when I'll have time to post it, so you'll have to settle for "one of these days soon".

The good news is that my friends know to look for this theme for me, so I will have more in the future.

Chris, what is that pin of yours? It's really interesting, maybe late-20s or so?

Chuck

• 1 month later...

This is a very early Pilots badge for the first Soviet civil aviation fleet "Dobrolyot". The emblem was created by artist K.S.Malevich.

This fleet had quite a close conection to early German civil aviation as well....so much so that I think the badge may be even made in Germany as the catch is so ....er...well German!

Any thoughts?

Chris

Edited by Chris S

• 1 month later...

Chuck and all,

I think that when you have something that is so obscure and RARE, that many people do not know much if anything about them and do not post. I for one have some WW1 Turkish aviation items like that and I still don't know much about them. Please don't think this is a boring thread, I love to see these early aviation items from ANY country. Back then you flew by the seat of your pants and worked on your own plane. There were no air controllers. If you got lost, you flew lower and compared the landscape to a roadmap and if you screwed up and did something stupid no matter how minor it could cost you your life. Something as simple as a cross wind when trying to land could flip your plane and get you killed. A lot of good pilots died that way. I have the utmost repect for all of these early pilots, no matter what nationality.

Dan