News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have found that my best investment in collecting over the past twenty years was good lighting for photography. That was even more important than a good camera!

For "big" stuff like uniforms and headgear, I bought a portrait setup from Smith-Victor, consisting of two halogen umbrella lights and one hair light (though I rarely use the latter). I also bought a professional backdrop holder, white paper background paper and a nice study table to hold the coat forms. (See photo attached...)

For photographing medals, I bought (yet another) Smith-Victor desktop light tent with two halogen lights and a white fabric light tent. The point of the light tent is to diffuse the light coming in at the sides... something I'm still working on.

I had a 5.1 MP camera, then moved to an 8.0. I finally sold that one and splurged with a 10.0 MP one. For the money, I think the 8.0 was probably the best of both worlds with the equipment that I have... just goes to show that you don't have to have the "best" camera in order to get really good photos!

Dave

Edited by NavyFCO

• Replies 74
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice equipment, Dave.

Here is another new arrivel. Luckily bought and paid before my car broke down on Friday :banger: , otherwise i would have had to pass on it. I am happy to finally have a 1st class and its for sure not the last one. Research for this OPW 1 Nr. 72.620 will be ordered as soon as my bank account recovered. Here is the beauty:

Nice piece Gerd , can?t wait to see it in person :beer:

sorry about your car :(

best regards

Andreas

Thanks, Andreas. :beer: I already ordered another one complete with research, but i had to pass on it, as life comes first. I have just found someone, who can repair my car privately, so i will get away cheaper than planned. Its nice to drive a BMW, but only until you need a repair for the first time :speechless:

This piece is a beauty and i am sure, you will like it :cheers: I look forward to our meeting, when you have your vacations.

best,

Gerd

Nice OGPW1 :beer:

I do have to symphise with you on the car front my SAAB has just had to tyres replaced at a cost ?400, which has meant my Soviet projects for this month have been put on hold :mad:

Having said that thogh it wasnt as bad a new fule pump for a Alfa Rome at ?500 :speechless1:

Order of Victory

Edited by order_of_victory

Nice order Gerd! I would say it is from late 1944, but also could be early 1945. Depends on what Front it was issued. I'll check my database in the evening to find some close range numbers and let you know.

Car problems, huh? That is always piss me off. When I was a student I used to have an old Russian-made LADA 1978 model. I've spent lots of time fixing it :speechless: But it was fun.

Now I have 2003 Toyota and so far it works OK, so switch from BMW to some Japanese brand :D

Just a joke...

Thanks, gentlemen. I?d agree, could be late 44/early 45. We will find out for sure hopefully.

John, my nephew has an Alfa and he also complains a lot about the replacement parts prices. They really seem to be quite pricy

Andrew, no joke at all, would you believe, that i switched from Toyota to BMW three years ago? I had a tiny little Toyota, which i loved and which was the most reliable car, i have ever had. Over the 6 years, i drove it, i only once had to have something to repair for about 50 marks then and that was my own fault. That was a fantastic and very economical car and i seriously think about to sell my beemer and buy a Toyota again.

Glad, you all like my new OPW. :cheers:

Gerd

We have had a couple of Japs and killed them both outright, but the one car nothing can kill is my mums Merc S600, its nearly 100,000 miles and still going strong... I feel it will otu live us all :lol:

Order of Victory

The old Mercedes Diesel were the best cars ever. There were some on the streets, which had more than 500.000 miles on the counter and were still in very good condition. My brother only had a few of them and he never drove something else than Mercedes since...

Gerd

Well, if you live in Europe it's a good option to buy German-made car. But in US they are way too expensive because of the taxes. But the quality and safety rates are comparable with top three japs cars (Toyota, Honda and Nissan). Also the gas is much cheaper in US, so you can buy something with a powerful engine.

BTW from were does the Europe buy oil? Is it from Middle East or from Russia? As far as know there is no significant oil resources in Europe except for Romania, but they are depleted already...

Edited by MONDVOR

Germany does buy a lot of its oil from Russia, Norway, Lybia and Saudi Arabia.

I bet, noone pays more for gas than we germans do. 5,10 Euro/gallon or 1,35 Euro a litre :speechless: We wouldn?t have the problem, if we would have kept the russian oilfields :cheeky:;)

Edited by Gerd Becker

Gentlemen,

Allow me to open this post by saying that this is not meant to be a political statement; and I hope that it does not send us off into political discussions.

Here in The States, we commonly see significant price differences on a state by state basis. As I write this, gas prices where I live are at $2.80 per gallon while in Los Angeles they are at $3.05 and in Macon Georgia they are as low as $2.50. By far, the most common reason for this disparity is state and local taxes.

Now, I believe that most countries buy their oil on what is called the World Market and the disparity of prices, country by country, is caused by the taxes applied. Simplistic I know; but a, if not the, major factor.

Yours truly,

Wild Card

Gentlemen,

............................................................................................................................................................

Now, I believe that most countries buy their oil on what is called the World Market and the disparity of prices, country by country, is caused by the taxes applied. Simplistic I know; but a, if not the, major factor.

Yours truly,

Wild Card

I guess you're right about that. Also I guess each country, depending on the amount they buy (most probably the more the better), might have "special deals". And then there is the real political aspect, but that's another story... ;)

And Gerd, it seems we (unfortunatelly! :banger: ) "beat" you on those prices here.

Gas 95 octanes: 1,343?

Gas 98 octanes: 1,408?

Special 98 octanes: 1,478?

Diesel is a bit cheaper but I don't have the exact costs.

Dolf :banger::mad::angry::speechless:

Edited by Dolf

Andrew,

Right :D

Because public transportation is not getting cheaper either anyway... :speechless:

Dolf

Right! When I came to New York in 2002 the price for a subway or bus ride was $ 1.50. But in 2003 it jumped up to $ 2.00. :speechless1:

• 1 month later...