News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

EK 2 with core error

I have had this for some time and since things are slow, I thought I would show it. It is a CD800 marked cross. Apparently the mold or die was not aligned properly when this core was made. As you can see part of the crown and part of the W, was milled away on one side to allow it to fit the frame. :unsure: The wierd thing is, they knew it was bad, but they modified it to make it fit anyway. :speechless: I wonder why they didn't just toss it and resmelt the iron. The thick ring looks odd too.

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Reverse. You can see that on this side it looks reasonably well centered. Anyone else have a oddity like this or some other "not really close enough, but we can make it fit" item? Post 'em if you have them.

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

dan-

i've seen them, and actually, if you look

at 10 or 20 different crosses side by side

you will find that there is a pretty wide

variation in placement of the core.

up to a point.... at which time you see

no more variation, except in crosses like

yours.

supposition: yours is a mid or late war

cross and the demand for them was such that

"this will do."

i like it.

joe

I agree with Joe-the '14 Ek2 was a mass award,so they used everything they had.Don't forget,all this Eks where handmade,so they shurly didn't wanted to waist the working time. Btw,the thick ring is typical for this maker.

Micha

I've posted this one before, but will show it again. The core was stamped, rotated 180 degrees, and stamped again. You don't expect top quality from MEH, but jeez.

I think most KO marked pieces fit into this category. They seem to be too close on the bottom and the 4 in 1914 is crowded next to the frame. I have never been a fan of that maker because of this.

I like that they have flaws and are each slightly different. To me it is one

of the things that makes Imperial more interesting then the mass produced

awards of the TR.