News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Es lebe die deutsche Freiheit!

In treuer Kampfverbundenheit

meinem lieben Freunde

Hellmuth Gülke

mit herzlichsten Wünschen

zum 28. Julmond 1938

August Lindner

It is from Lindner to Gülke

Julmond = December

The signature is not readable for me.

Uwe

Es lebe die deutsche Freiheit!

In treuer Kampfverbundenheit

meinem lieben Freunde

Hellmuth Gülke

mit herzlichsten Wünschen

zum 28. Julmond 1938

August Lindner

It is from Lindner to Gülke

Julmond = December

The signature is not readable for me.

Uwe

Hi Uwe,

The signature is difficult as the glass feflects, it is a standard Ludendorff one.

August Lindner seems to have been a bit of a writer in Theme Ludendorff.

best

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

That is a great photograph and message on the back! I think Chris' suggested history of the piece is defendable.

Thank you for not only showing the photo, but the message on the back and its meaning.

• 1 year later...

Ludendorff does not really capture the imagination of the present collecting generation, but he covered many bases.... personal bravery at the beginning of the war... and then the absolute warlord, a 14-18 darth vader.... if he had just had the X-Factor to make him a popular figure in collecting circles...

I'd say for his time he was the quiet professional, leaving the flashy personality cults to others.

I do not agree, because it was Ludendorff who stood side by side to the men who ran up in the Munich revolt, and his name was attached to many revisionist publications after the ending of the Great War. So he sought the lime light thoughtfully in search for personal importance, perhaps even in competition with Hindenburg, and his name was attached to some groups in the "roaring 20s"in Germany. In other words, he did not take a distance from the political situation in which Germany stranded, quite the oposite. And as such, many postcards and signed photos of him appear in dealers lists. He was regarded an icon of the old school, and he let it happen and cherished his role as such.

I do not agree, because it was Ludendorff who stood side by side to the men who ran up in the Munich revolt, and his name was attached to many revisionist publications after the ending of the Great War. So he sought the lime light thoughtfully in search for personal importance, perhaps even in competition with Hindenburg, and his name was attached to some groups in the "roaring 20s"in Germany. In other words, he did not take a distance from the political situation in which Germany stranded, quite the oposite. And as such, many postcards and signed photos of him appear in dealers lists. He was regarded an icon of the old school, and he let it happen and cherished his role as such.

I think Don hits the nail on the head, he was more or less a quiet professional because he was in the shadow of Hindenburg....

Lets keep this 100% politics free, but look at him, and look at Karl Rove ... the man Bush called "The architect"... these guys have something in comman... they look a bit like a slug... have super brains... can organise and plan... but will always be the brains in the background, they know this and dont try and become the poster boy...

Agreed, post war he tried to reinvent himslef... but once again, he just did not have the "X-Factor" that would make him a proper "leader"... He was a 100% Militarist, but so were many. I think few officers were middle of the road moderates in the post war time...

He also had the opportunity to jump on the Nazi bandwaggon and did not, other than a bit of dabbling at the beginning...

I am happy with these, they are more than a postcard signed for someone, the Lüttich print is a real piece of history.

Best

Chris

• 1 year later...

Here is a little gem... or a large one... depends how you look at it,,,,

A print of Ludendorff in the action where he made his name... the taking of Lüttich....

It is a very detailed print, technically and uniform details fantastic....

I have the regimental history of Feld-Artillerie Regiment Nr. 4 and there is a very detailed description of the house to house fighting by 14. Brigade after Ludendorff takes command, and in particular 4. Batt. FAR 4 which the 10.5cm lFH 98/09 depicted in the print represents. Two NCOs who were gun chiefs and the Leutnant who was the platoon leader were decorated for the action.