News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nakhimov Medal s/n. 2.200

Nakhimov Medal to comrade Gnultschinsky

Gentlemen,

in 1996 I bought this medal with document in Vienna. It came with a new replacement ribbon in the booklet, but I kept the old one of course.

The (numbered :angry: ) Valour Medal is missing and the Nakhimov Medal is still unresearched.

Best regards :beer:

Christian

BTW: I paid in 1996 for my Nakhimov EUR 145,-, which was quite cheap even for the "Golden Years" of Soviet collecting.

EUR 145 in 1996? That was about 150 dollars back then! That was your once in a lifetime bargain!! It is a beautiful piece. Please get the research! :jumping::jumping:

Dear Paul,

many thanks :cheers: .

This Nakhimov and another Uzhakov Medal (without documents) will be researched rather soon :D .

My once in a lifetime bargain hadn't been that Nakhimov Medal, but Sgt. Gnitienko's full cavalier of the Glory set of the 1st category, as it turned out after the comprehensive research:

- correct s/n. of the Glory 1cl

- Glory 1cl in an almost 10/10 condition

- excellent, very early & historic important citations of all 3 Glories

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5536 (citations are at the end of the thread)

I paid in january 1994 EUR 1.380,- for the set ..... :rolleyes:

Today's market value (dealer's retail price!) of Gnitienko's set might be already beyond USD 20.000,- :unsure:

Christian

Dear Paul,

This Nakhimov and another Uzhakov Medal (without documents) will be researched rather soon :D .

My once in a lifetime bargain hadn't been that Nakhimov Medal, but Sgt. Gnitienko's full cavalier of the Glory set of the 1st category, as it turned out after the comprehensive research:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=5536 (citations are at the end of the thread)

Today's market value (dealer's retail price!) of Gnitienko's set might be already beyond USD 20.000,- :unsure:

Christian

Herr Zulus, why not just sell the cavelier group to me for 3.000 Euro then. You make >100% profit and I get a good deal - everybody happy :cheeky::cheers:

Herr Zulus, why not just sell the cavelier group to me for 3.000 Euro then. You make >100% profit and I get a good deal - everybody happy :cheeky::cheers:

Dear Mr. Bob,

that's really a generous & serious offer with 100 % profit :cheers: .

Maybe you would also like the Nakhimov Medal for EUR 300,- :unsure::rolleyes: .

Christian

BTW: I won't even sell the Gnitienko set for EUR 30.000,- :cheeky: .

In Dutch we have a saying: he who doesn't dare to ask, already has "no" as an answer :cheeky:

Seriously, great awards you have. Would be nice to see a picture of how you display them or are they safely locked away?

Seriously, great awards you have. Would be nice to see a picture of how you display them or are they safely locked away?

Dear Bob,

That's a look to a part of my modest collection: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16223

The drawers with the more expensive items & groups are usually in my family's safe at the bank, otherwise the insurance would be far too expensive ... :rolleyes:

If a collector-friend visits me, I fetch the drawers from our bank and display the full collection :D .

Christian

The Gods must love you in a BIG way!! :speechless1:

The Gods must love you in a BIG way!! :speechless1:

Dear Paul,

our researcher does always a perfect job and Podolsk is a well organized archive :D .

I am not sure, if "God" lives in Podolsk - maybe, who knows ;) .

In december 1993 I inherited a savings book from my passed away grandfather with some thousend Dollars. I didn't really need the money, since 1980 I had my academic interest in Soviet history and so I invested the money into the nice Soviet items, I saw in the shop windows of three major dealers in Vienna. That's the simple story, how I got into Soviet phaleristics and how I got my crown jewels for an bargain - just the right time for investment :rolleyes: .

The fact is, that without the research, Gnitienko's Glory-set would have far less than 50 % of it's actual market value, besides the fact, that the research induced "living history" into the 3 medals.

Christian

I know what you mean... Right time and right place.

I was lucky too. Nothing like a XX Anniversary of Red Army with photoed document for 200 dollars and a screwback ORB with some enamel replacement(minor) for 190 dollars!! :rolleyes: Most of my Soviet Orders and medals I would not be able to afford today! My only regret is that I did not get some of the items I wanted when I could have actually afforded them. :unsure:

I remember Igor offering me a Nakhimov medal without document for 200 dollars, but I wanted a whole bunch of WW2 Campaign medals he had at the time, instead... :banger:

I know what you mean... Right time and right place.

I was lucky too. Nothing like a XX Anniversary of Red Army with photoed document for 200 dollars and a screwback ORB with some enamel replacement(minor) for 190 dollars!! :rolleyes: Most of my Soviet Orders and medals I would not be able to afford today! My only regret is that I did not get some of the items I wanted when I could have actually afforded them. :unsure:

I remember Igor offering me a Nakhimov medal without document for 200 dollars, but I wanted a whole bunch of WW2 Campaign medals he had at the time, instead... :banger:

Dear Paul,

in 1994 a wasted EUR 150,- into a faked screwback ORB and in 2000 I found a genuine one T2/V2 s/n. 41.317 at the flea market in Vienna for EUR 36,- (thirtysix).

I didn't buy a cased HSU for EUR 800,-, a Suvorov 2cl (erased s/n.) for EUR 950,-, a Suvorov 1cl (genuine, but with "museum"-stamp and without s/n.) for EUR 2.900,-, a Uzhakov 2cl for EUR 4.500,- or a Kutuzov 1cl for EUR 5.000,- in the year 1994 :banger::speechless::angry: .

Christian

Dear Paul,

in 1994 a wasted EUR 150,- into a faked screwback ORB and in 2000 I found a genuine one T2/V2 s/n. 41.317 at the flea market in Vienna for EUR 36,- (thirtysix).

I didn't buy a cased HSU for EUR 800,-, a Suvorov 2cl (erased s/n.) for EUR 950,-, a Suvorov 1cl (genuine, but with "museum"-stamp and without s/n.) for EUR 2.900,-, a Uzhakov 2cl for EUR 4.500,- or a Kutuzov 1cl for EUR 5.000,- in the year 1994 :banger::speechless::angry: .

Christian

Yesterday's missed opportunities are today's broken hearts... :(

Very nice - it will be very interesting to see what the research reveals.

On a side note I find 50% of the collecintg part is finding the item :jumping: , the other 50% is banging our heads against the wall when we "could have and should have..." :banger:

50% is banging our heads against the wall when we "could have and should have..." :banger:

Dear Charles,

banging our heads is not up to our Christian belief :jumping: .

Someone other is happy with that award our group :D .

Christian

BTW: We are not the owners of our collections of Soviet awards, we just keep them. The owner is the recipient - or the people of the (non-existing) Soviet Union.

wow!!!that was a fantastic bargin!!!!!love the ribbion on it!!!that shows beatiful wear and tear!!!though have to add my bargin was an order of alexander nevsky for ?120 irish pounds in 2002!!!!! :jumping:

Edited by paddywhack

• 9 months later...

I count 105 on both sides of yours, although possibly 106. Its easy to lose count. McDaniel & Schmitt indicate 110 obverse and 111 reverse.

Dear Tom,

many thanks for the information :cheers: .

So, if there is no variation of strucking by the mint with lesser dots and differnt letters, then "Houston, we have a problem" ... ;)

Well, I bought the set rather late in the year 1996 and this had been a time, when high-end fakes were on the market. And it is rather easy to fake a Nakhimov Medal ... :mad: .

I had two Nakhimovs in my collection. One was a outright fake: Far too thick and a poor relief of Nakhimovs face. I give it as a gift to a collectors friend, who wanted the faked Nakhimov, despite the fact, that it was a 100 % fake.

Christian