News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgaria - Order for People's Liberty 2nd class

Hello Everyone,

Some time ago I purchased this medal and I was informed it was the Order for People's Freedom 2nd class of Bulgaria. I was told it was awarded to person's who took part in the partisan's movement in Bulgaria from 1941 to 1944.

Could anyone verify that this is what I have? I purchased this medal because I really liked the look of it, I think it has pretty good enamel and it is quite heavy. If this is authentic, when was it actually instituted?? It came with the original box and papers.

I hope you like it and if anyone can add any imformation it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

• Replies 91
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: By an amazing coincidence, I just ordered a cased one with award book yesterday, same class. So I'd like more information too! :cheers:

Is the recipient's photo in your Orders Book? Mine is from 1969 and has a photo.

I seem to remember dimly that the design was changed in 1959 and yours and mine--when it arrives--are the 1959+ 2nd type.

:Cat-Scratch: By an amazing coincidence, I just ordered a cased one with award book yesterday, same class. So I'd like more information too! :cheers:

Is the recipient's photo in your Orders Book? Mine is from 1969 and has a photo.

I seem to remember dimly that the design was changed in 1959 and yours and mine--when it arrives--are the 1959+ 2nd type.

Hi Rick,

That is a coincidence. There is no photo in the Orders book I have.

For the price (assuming yours cost the same) you couldn't go wrong.

I'm looking forward to seeing yours when it arrives.

Cheers

Brian

Guest Rick Research

Aha. Case is titled differently on my inbound one-- in five lines with the 1941-1944 dates.

I've never had a PRB Orders Book before, so don't know if there is a "series" year printed-- probably someplace on the last page, following Soviet practice?

Good day, collegues. This order was instituted in 2 classes on 9 of september of 1945. It awarded to bulgarian and foreghn citizens for "participation in revolutionary fight for the bulgaria". Total amount of awarded items - 68 265. This item is 3-d type of award.

Guest Rick Research

Excellent information-- thanks for showing the earlier types! :cheers:

What earned a 1st class or a 2nd Class?

I hauled out my book (buried under a pile of African regimental histories no less) and it states:

This Order was instituted by Directive/Law on September 9th, 1945 in two classes. It was intended originally as a one-time award to both Bulgarians AND Foreign Nationals (e.g. Soviet citizens etc.) for participation "in the revolutionary struggles of the people of Bulgaria". The Order was conferred posthumously. Originally manufactured by the firms of Onik Chakarov, Onik Simonyan and Strahil Miloshev in Sofia, in 1952 it was made in the state mint.

The first award was to Georgy Dimitrov, whose name was placed at the top of the list of the first 114 awards made on September 9, 1945 by the Regents. (Note, this list and subsequent awards apparently exist in the archives in Sofia). In 1991 the Order was revoked and the total number of BOTH classes of award was 68,265.

The first class has white enamel and the second class has red enamel.

There were three major issues of the order.

The FIRST ISSUE (earliest era) Orders were pin back awards.

Second and Third Issues were placed upon a ribbon.

In the Third Issues, Hristo Botev is facing leftwards. In the first and second issues he is facing rightwards. Also, the third issue clearly was more cheaply made. The first issues are very well done with what looks like cold enamel.

From documents, awards were made to senior communists, some military officers and soldiers who fought the Germans, partisans, Soviet soldiers and other fellow travelers who survived the purges. Later, they went to apparatcheks and old vets. of the struggle.

If we posit that they were awarded sequentially, then there were @ 25,000 awards made from 1978-91 just by the docs. on this thread.

Edited by Ulsterman

Guest Rick Research

"terms of awarding 1-st OR 2-nd class?" Yes. What was required to get a 1st Class instead of a 2nd class? Higher rank? Simple participation (for a 2nd?) versus some award for merit (for a 1st?) or.... ? :cheers:

I can read Russian, but my computer cannot.

"I hauled out my book (buried under a pile of African regimental histories no less) and it states":

Excuse me, what is the name of this book?

From what resourse you recognize that it was 25 000 awards in last period of communism?

I think that conserning the state of awarding on the first place shell be the rank of the awarding man + the event on what he receive the order.......

"I hauled out my book (buried under a pile of African regimental histories no less) and it states":

Excuse me, what is the name of this book?

From what resourse you recognize that it was 25 000 awards in last period of communism?

I think that concerning the state of awarding on the first place shell be the rank of the awarding man + the event on what he receive the order.......

The books' title is: "Bulgarian orders and Medals 1878-2005" by Todor Petrov, Voenno Izdatelstvo, Sofia, 2005 (no ISBN number I can find).

It's a large, well illustrated but basic level of information book.

The Numbers are from the document shown in this thread. if there were a total of 68,265 and the document shown was issued in 1978 for #043261 ...then it follows that there were @25,000 awarded from 1978-1991, when the Order was abolished.

Edited by Ulsterman

Thanks. I know this book very good........

As i know in Bulgarian award system the number of the award document doesnt mean the number of awarded order......Aspeccialy in the lust period when special award booklets were given to recepients. Some times in this book can mentioned not only one award.....

Look at the picture - 2 orders in one award booklet.....