News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

OPW Double Screwback Group

I was getting some things ready to post on eBay and I came across this small group. I thought it was interesting enough to be posted here for your enjoyment.

The recipient was Markoz Lomtatidze of Georgia. He was an NKVD, later KGB, officer and a deputy to the Supreme Soviet. This group was purchased directly from his family.

The order books are falling apart, as if he carried them every day of his life. The deputy's ID folder was lost long ago.

Enjoy.

Chuck

• Replies 98
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:beer: Chuck...WOW!!! A very nice set. A Deputy of the Supreme Soviet...not a lot of those around. That's definately a keeper.

Doc

Thanks, Doc.

It's a good little set, but not really something that fits into any of my specific collecting interests.

As for deputy's badges, I have a very large group that includes Supreme Soviet deputy badges and ID folders for eight consecutive terms -- for the same man -- over a 35-year period. I think it is the only one such in the west and one of the very few, ever.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck In Oregon

Have you tried to research that Red Banner? Should be really interesting if anything is available. I've had some success with NKVD recipients so it is possible that you could find something on him. A nice group indeed.

Doug

I'm a little embarassed to admit it, but I've never researched anything, ever. I don't even know how to do it or how much it costs. At best, I try to get as much of a story as possible when I can buy something directly from a family, then pass along what they tell me. It's not perfect. Heck, it may not even be good, but it's what I've been doing.

You're right, though. I'll think about making this my first one.

I'm glad that my modest groups are giving you some enjoyment. That's the way it's supposed to be.

Poor Zags ... and Dukies. I don't even know who to root for now. I can't bring myself to get behind UCLA or Washington. Maybe I'll just stop watching the tournament. Uh, no.

Chuck

Chuck it is just amazing how lucky you are to have been at the right place at the right moment to get all these precious medals in your collection. I always enjoy looking what you post from your private collection. :)

• 1 month later...
    Guest Darrell

This group has now come to live with me, and I shall be posting any new research finds here, as they trickle in.

:jumping:

Can't wait Ed :beer::beer::jumping:

• 8 months later...

Red Banner is fake :(

Look at this picture (sorry, but very bad) - 100% OK.

Although I am disinclined to enter such discussions, I feel I should say something here since this was originally my group.

No, it is not a fake.

This discussion may now continue without my further participation.

Chuck

Before we get into a he says - they say - I say debate about the authenticity of these awards, I would highly encourage Ed to simply have PMD look at them and we can go from there. Everyone has their own opinions, but we can all agree that PMD is, most importantly, an unbiased and impartial judge of authenticity.

So please, before the fur starts flying...

Dave