News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

First World War postcards

Eduardo

Great photo postcards Ksg. Thanks for sharing them.

If you can read "postcard" German maybe you could try reading a card with four soldiers that I have placed above and give me a hand. The reverse with the text is in the German uniforms etc. section.

Have a Merry Christmas

Eduardo

Edited by Eduardo

• Replies 316
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great photo postcards Ksg. Thanks for sharing them.

If you can read "postcard" German maybe you could try reading a card with four soldiers that I have placed above and give me a hand. The reverse with the text is in the German uniforms etc. section.

Have a Merry Christmas

Eduardo

Hi Eduardo

I will try to do so during the holiday, There are some writings on the back. Will get back to you.

A Merry Christmas to you to !

Best,

Kjell

These two new cards were Santa's Christmas present for my collection. The first one shows a very dramatic view of the last fugitives leaving Ypres. The card was printed in Paris by: Imp. Phot. Neurdein et Cie.

Edited by Eduardo

This last postcard of today is very special. Not only a dramatic card showing the destruction of the Halles of Nieuport in Belgium printed by "Imp. E Le Deley, Paris". but a delicious text written by "Emile" to his parents and dated 21 march 1916, in which he thanks them for the raisins and sausages which improve his diet.

"We have dinner at very variable hours, and it is a re-heated dinner which is no great pleasure. Today I had an excelent dinner with half of the sausage.... I have kept the rest for my night guard that is from mid night to 7 hours."

Edited by Eduardo

Hi all,

I'd like to second the motion! :D As I've said before these are simply fantastic. :love::jumping::jumping: So much history... so many faces and places that otherwise might be long forgotten were it not for fantastic collections like these. You are literally preserving what was for those who have not yet been born and I know they will thank you as we do. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Thanks Chris and Dan,

As a historian I am well aware that almost anything can be a source for history. The postcards combine the photograph which is a view frozen in a given moment; the message, informative and with a fresh insight in some cases like in the last one by Emile; and all the political intentions for printing them. I will continue posting the cards as I get them.

Eduardo

• 5 weeks later...

Hello, I have some new postcards to add. The first one is one printed by G.D & D., London under the name of: "The Star Series" Although posted on December 27, 1908, this full body picture of General John D.P. French, 1sr Earl of Ypres wearing a beautifull uniform and all his decorations is a very special photograph even if it not in a very good condition.

This card was printed and issued in Paris. by Phototipie Baubibt.....? as the next two. The picture was made at Margival and belongs to the Battle of Chemin des Dames. I had never seen a machine like this one. It sais: French piece that destroys the "Bertha". Maybe someone can explain more.

Two views of the destruction at Coucy-le-Chateau issued in Paris by the same printer as the previous one. The first one shows the ruins of the tower blown by the "boches" in their retreat on March 1917. and the second one what was left of the market place.

Edited by Eduardo

The last card I will post tonight is a view that I find awesome. The ruins of the church square at Loos-en Ghelle with a broken wagon that is in itself a representation of the desolation of war. The card was printed by "Visa, Paris".

This card was printed and issued in Paris. by Phototipie Baubibt.....? as the next two. The picture was made at Margival and belongs to the Battle of Chemin des Dames. I had never seen a machine like this one. It sais: French piece that destroys the "Bertha". Maybe someone can explain more.

Hallo Eduardo, :cheers:

Great Cards as usual, the Bertha probably refers to "Big Bertha" one of a number of long-range artillery pieces the Germans used to lob shells into Paris, this looks like the body of the gun, the barrel being blown off, the guns were mounted on railway waggons.

Kevin. :beer:

Thanks Kevin. Yes I understand it refers to the "Big Bertha" cannons which were monted in railroad wagons. What gets me is the french inscription "Piece francaise qui detruisit les Bertha". I will post this card in the weapons section to find out if it is a Big Bertha with its barrel blown off or something else.

Eduardo

Edited by Eduardo

Today I will post three views of Belgium. The first one of Ethe, in the south, and the other two of the Halles of Ypres after its destruction.

The "Panorama" after the battle of Ethe, was printed by "Verlag W Capus, Luxemburg-Bahnhof, after a photografh made by N.chumacher. numbered: Mr.49.

I am posting now a postcard which I doubted if I should include it into my collection. For one thing because it is dated before the war, 22. XI. 1913, and because nothing about the war can be seen. Nevertheless if heads or state and other political actors of the war are included, the Reichstag "Plenar Saal" I believe fits properly. Even if it was taken a few months before the war.

This card, issued by "Kunstverlag J. Goldiner, Berlin." was send by a Peruvian tourist Mr. Jos? Barrios to his brother Jorge L. Barrios in Lima, Peru.

• 2 months later...
    • 1 month later...