News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

my Yemen display

Nice items. The Order of Labour - top right is a one class order and the one with the blue ribbon appears to have "borrowed" the ribbon from one of the three classes of the Order of Devotion.

The two neck orders are nice - manufactured in Budapest and unfortunately they do not match the neck badge in the image I submitted.

What is the red and green ribboned award?

Regards,

Owain

Holger,

Can you provide a close up of the obverse & reverse of the combat agaist Oman medal - thanks.

Paul,

The Star is a Hero of Yemen star - also manufactured in Budapest and of very poor quality - almost plastic like in its finish.

Owain

• 5 months later...

hi,

the order of the earth has more grades. i have a not enameled gold plated one, and i bought today the same not enameled in bronze. the gold plated one is on my site yet, ( www.vorbeste.hu ) i will list the new one yesterderday after cleaning. i was wondering about the grades, nobody told me anything about it. all the yemeni medals are made in hungary..

Edited by vorbeste

Dear Vorbeste,

I strongly suspect that what you have is an unfinished factory piece and not a junior grade of the order.

Medals of the PDRY were manufactured as follows:

High Orders - State Mint Moscow or Leningrad (Breast Badges - Orders of Revolution, of Independence, of Bravery, of 22 June, of Friendship; War of Liberation Medal)

Internal Security Awards - State Mint in East Berlin (Order of Bravery; Service and Anniversary Medals)

All other - Budapest (Neck badges Orders of Earth and 22 June; Hero of Yemen Star, Orders of Devotion, of War Wounded, Science; Medals of Nationalisation, of Combat Proficiency, of Military Service, Army Day and Independence Anniversaries; Police Service and Anniversary Medals)

There are also a number of semi-official Governate, militia, labour, youth, literacy, education and sports medals/badges which may be of eastern European or even Chinese manufacture. One Governate medal may even be of British manufacture!

Finally the medal indicated being for fighting against Sultan Qaboos of Oman in fact a commemorative medal issued by the National Democratic Front of North Yemen. Founded in 1976 and advocating the unity of Yemen it was based in Aden. In 1979, with the support of the P.D.R.Y., it fought limited actions in the south of the Yemen Arab Republic. The obverse is a clenched fist rising out of the outline of a united Yemen and surrounded by the inscription, ?National Democratic Front, The Yemen Arab Republic.? The reverse bears a circular outline of the Yemen Arab Republic flag, surrounded by the inscription, ?Primacy for the Nation, Democracy for the People, Unity for Yemen?

Kind regards,

Owain

dear Owain,

many thanks for the reply. i thank it, because it is gold plated and the other is a bzonze plated piece. so it is colored before the enameling. it is senselessly, because the galvanisation burns it down. and the medals are in 2 colors..

Dear Vorbeste,

I strongly suspect that what you have is an unfinished factory piece and not a junior grade of the order.

Medals of the PDRY were manufactured as follows:

High Orders - State Mint Moscow or Leningrad (Breast Badges - Orders of Revolution, of Independence, of Bravery, of 22 June, of Friendship; War of Liberation Medal)

Internal Security Awards - State Mint in East Berlin (Order of Bravery; Service and Anniversary Medals)

All other - Budapest (Neck badges Orders of Earth and 22 June; Hero of Yemen Star, Orders of Devotion, of War Wounded, Science; Medals of Nationalisation, of Combat Proficiency, of Military Service, Army Day and Independence Anniversaries; Police Service and Anniversary Medals)

There are also a number of semi-official Governate, militia, labour, youth, literacy, education and sports medals/badges which may be of eastern European or even Chinese manufacture. One Governate medal may even be of British manufacture!

Finally the medal indicated being for fighting against Sultan Qaboos of Oman in fact a commemorative medal issued by the National Democratic Front of North Yemen. Founded in 1976 and advocating the unity of Yemen it was based in Aden. In 1979, with the support of the P.D.R.Y., it fought limited actions in the south of the Yemen Arab Republic. The obverse is a clenched fist rising out of the outline of a united Yemen and surrounded by the inscription, "National Democratic Front, The Yemen Arab Republic." The reverse bears a circular outline of the Yemen Arab Republic flag, surrounded by the inscription, "Primacy for the Nation, Democracy for the People, Unity for Yemen"

Kind regards,

Owain