News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 Uniforms...all nations

Nice tunic. I know where this piece was before it turned up on the collector market within the last six months. :cool:

The colored stripe ("Egaliserung") was worn on the collar to designate the regiment of the wearer. The Austrian uniform regulations used a combination of button colors (white/silver or yellow/gold) and a piece of colored wool to designate the regiment. This particular tunic has vegetable ivory buttons, but does have gold stars indicating metal tunic buttons would have been yellow/gold.

If you check the gold/jaeger green color combination, that will give you the particular regimental number and whether the unit was part of the "Austrian" or "Hungarian" branch of the Imperial army. I don't have the list at hand, but a quick visit to Glenn Jewison's site on the Austro-Hungarian army ought to turn that information up for you.

After 1922, the Austrian Republic used jaeger green as the standard color for all infantry collar patches.

What are Austro-Hungarian tunics priced like?

Best

Chris

They vary. Officer's tunics turn up on the market more often than enlisted tunics. Also, WWI era and post-war Republic tunics (prior to the mid-1930's) are similar enough that unscrupulous people have attempted to convert pieces. There is not a big demand for Austrian Republican uniforms from the 1922 through circa early 1930's era, while there are people who do collect WWI era items. In the US, the demand is relatively "small" and "Echte" Austrian WWI feldgrau tunics bring about a third of what a German WWI era feldgrau tunic brings. In Europe, the situation is a bit different, particular in Italy where there is a thriving market for Austrian WWI era items.

Over the last ten years, I've seen several, and would advise caution when buying these. The wartime "feldgrau" tunics were made from all sorts of material: imported German woolen cloth, captured and converted Italian tunics, Austrian made wools (which have even more variation then German WWI feldgrau uniforms with colors that can include grey, green, dirty browns) and also cottons.

Post-war Austrian Republic uniforms are very similar, but have different collar patch and color systems. I have seen altered Republic era tunics that appear to have had the collar patches removed, and "iffy" looking patches added. People attempted to turn them into WWI looking tunics, not always convincingly.

This particular piece hasn't been altered or converted. I can say that from having handling and looking at it directly. I looked at the construction methods, how the stars and "Egalisering" were attached. There is nothing suggesting the piece is anything else than what it appears.

Edited by Les

Nice tunic. I know where this piece was before it turned up on the collector market within the last six months. :cool:

The colored stripe ("Egaliserung") was worn on the collar to designate the regiment of the wearer. The Austrian uniform regulations used a combination of button colors (white/silver or yellow/gold) and a piece of colored wool to designate the regiment. This particular tunic has vegetable ivory buttons, but does have gold stars indicating metal tunic buttons would have been yellow/gold.

If you check the gold/jaeger green color combination, that will give you the particular regimental number and whether the unit was part of the "Austrian" or "Hungarian" branch of the Imperial army. I don't have the list at hand, but a quick visit to Glenn Jewison's site on the Austro-Hungarian army ought to turn that information up for you.

After 1922, the Austrian Republic used jaeger green as the standard color for all infantry collar patches.

They vary. Officer's tunics turn up on the market more often than enlisted tunics. Also, WWI era and post-war Republic tunics (prior to the mid-1930's) are similar enough that unscrupulous people have attempted to convert pieces. There is not a big demand for Austrian Republican uniforms from the 1922 through circa early 1930's era, while there are people who do collect WWI era items. In the US, the demand is relatively "small" and "Echte" Austrian WWI feldgrau tunics bring about a third of what a German WWI era feldgrau tunic brings. In Europe, the situation is a bit different, particular in Italy where there is a thriving market for Austrian WWI era items.

Over the last ten years, I've seen several, and would advise caution when buying these. The wartime "feldgrau" tunics were made from all sorts of material: imported German woolen cloth, captured and converted Italian tunics, Austrian made wools (which have even more variation then German WWI feldgrau uniforms with colors that can include grey, green, dirty browns) and also cottons.

Post-war Austrian Republic uniforms are very similar, but have different collar patch and color systems. I have seen altered Republic era tunics that appear to have had the collar patches removed, and "iffy" looking patches added. People attempted to turn them into WWI looking tunics, not always convincingly.

This particular piece hasn't been altered or converted. I can say that from having handling and looking at it directly. I looked at the construction methods, how the stars and "Egalisering" were attached. There is nothing suggesting the piece is anything else than what it appears.

Thanks Les! This does seem to be an area where US collectors have overlooked. For fielding such a huge army in WWI, it is surprising how little of the Austrain Military's uniforms are collected in America.

Speaking of this, How often, if ever, do Turkish uniforms ever surface?? The Ottoman's had a huge empire still at the start of the war, yet I never see uniforms/medal groups to Turkish soldiers. I see Turkish medals on German tunics, but not straight Turkish. (or Romainian for that matter)

Edited by Chris Liontas

Hello,

I'd post a few additions to the thread, but unfortunately the collection is a thousand miles away. I'll add some to the thread as soon as I'm back in town, though, some time down the road.

I've seen, I think, one Ottoman uniform for sale. It went for a very reasonable price, around $1000. However, they're rare enough that the National World War One Memorial Museum in Kansas City still doesn't have one - and they've been building their collection since the '20's! I suspect it's in part because the Ottoman Empire was somewhat distant, and their uniforms were somewhat plain. Some of the most sought-after uniforms are the simplest of field uniforms, because unlike dress uniforms their is no obvious reason to keep it looked away with mothballs for a century. That's why Union sack coats from the Civil War (produced in the millions) go for $30,000 and up, and why the M15 feldbluse is so hard to find.

I'd own more Austrian uniforms besides my single rotten tunic if they ever came up for sale. Trawling American, French, and British eBay has yielded only one good Austrian uniform for the collection. (If anyone knows of good dealers, do tell!) I have, however, picked up Japanese, Belgian, and various other odd WWI uniforms from my sources.

TTFN,

~TS

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone would have Austrian uniforms, I am betting it would be Sergio Seminio. He comes upon the most rare items I have ever seen from WWI and before.

He does not speak English, but usually with small translations, he gets what you are trying to say

http://www.kunst-und-militaria.de/

Here is a good combat uniform. Uniform of CPL Walter Francis Miller, of Portage, WI. Enlisted in Wisconsin National Guard in 1916, after Mexican expidition was incorperated into Co F, 128th Infantry during WWI. Served in the 64th Brigade, 32nd Division until 8 Octover 1918. On that date, the 64th Brigade was in support of the 63rd Brigade (32nd division) to crack the Krimhilde Stellung. CPL Miller was hit by German Artillery fire. His wounds being such, he did not rejoin the division until after the Argonne offensive.

• 1 month later...

Nice uniforms showed here. It's not my collection area but i own to nice WW1 unifoms.

Here the first.

Ulanka M10 from Ulanen Reg. Nr 11 to an Lt. who later changed to air service.

Not the best presentation, sorry.

Regards Alex

Nice uniforms showed here. It's not my collection area but i own to nice WW1 unifoms.

Here the first.

Ulanka M10 from Ulanen Reg. Nr 11 to an Lt. who later changed to air service.

Not the best presentation, sorry.

Regards Alex

Wow Alex!! That is an amazing tunic!! Is it named? Any history with it?

Hi Chris,

yes it is named. Belonged to Lt. O. Kaiser from UR 11. Sometime in 1917 he changed to air service. I have him 1918 listed on air servive.

Still not known if he was pilot or observer. I suppose he was observer.

Regards Alex

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...
    • 10 months later...
    • 2 months later...

Hello Chris

Thanks a lot. I have an idea. A Great War Map Room. Still I don't know how to do it, but have to be someway. :banger::)

Regards

Boris

Welcome to the Great War sub-forum, Boris! As Chris said, feel free to post your interests. I saw your excellent maps in the modelling sub-forum and if you have any of WWI battles they would be very interesting to see.

• 1 month later...

One of only two preserved Serbian officers' service tunics M1908 from WW1, from my collection. Second one belonged to Tsar Nicholas II as honorary commander in chief - Colonel of the 16th IR, and is in Tsarskoe Selo - Alexander's Palace.

A book on the Serbian Army in WW1 that I recently published in Serbia with lot of material on uniforms, insignia, equipment...

• 3 weeks later...

I don't profess to have seen a lot of uniforms, but these bring to life those black and white photos we all have. I'm always amazed at how tight or tailored combat gear used to be, we are all used to fatigues now. Going to war in a jacket and tie, with lace up office type shoes is a bit wierd to me. Also in observation...how small the men were, uniforms I have seen, their proportions are almost dainty, some tunics I have seen would fit a modern (skinny) twelve year old, never a full grown man. The textures, stiffness and roughness of some materials is astounding. I'm surprised they could dress in it in trench conditions.

Kind regards

Strapper. ( and thanks for a most interesting forum)

The largest [i think] seller of repro. WWI gear in the US uses originals for his patterns but regularly mentions in his advertising that straps have been lengthened on web gear 'for modern figures'.

Remember that the British recruited entire 'Bantam' battalions and eventually two Bantam divisions of men 4'10"-5'3", that later being the usual minimum height for enlistment. Interestingly, the chest size was apparently one inch bigger than the usual minimum: they were looking for men like miners who had muscle if not height. And of course there were many fully employed men, like miners and factory hands, in the UK in the years before the War who could rarely afford meat or a healthy diet and produced children as stunted as themselves.

As to the 'dress up' thing, that was a cultural product: men with any pretentions of class at all wore tailored cloth, ties and waistcoats even in the heat and so on. Kipling even has a story in which young officers under enemy fire on the North West Frontier are told to walk up in down in front of their [sensibly] prone private soldiers to keep up morale. And if hit to roll back through the line of men so the rankers wouldn't have to watch them thrashing and moaning! 'Mustn't let the side down, old boy.' Still looking for a photo of a WWI officer who hasn't shaved or is tie-less!

But you're right about the material: first time I wore a coarse wool tunic and cap [re-enacting] I was too busy scratching to shoot! :cheeky:

• 10 months later...