News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I really like this photo.

The photo shows a member of the KM with a tally that reads ??flottille 12.

Thanks to the help of Markus B,he determined that it is probably a photo taken in the Winter of 1939-40 (notice the snow) and shows a group of men from the 12.U-Jagdtflottille 12.

In the Spring of 1940 all individual unit designated cap tallies were for forbidden in wear,i beleive?

In this photo we can see no WWII awards in wear.So,as Markus suggests the photo was possibly taken in the early months of WWII.

Regards,Martin.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

Schiffstammabteilung der ???

attachicon.gif2.jpg

Best Regards,Morten.

Can you give a full image of this photo?

The pale blue stripe on the knot of the silk gives an indication about the Fleet (Nordsee or Ostsee); from left below to right above is Northsea, the opposite (from right below to left above) is Baltic Fleet.

Edited by Odulf

Please note that the pale blue line on the knot of the silk denotes the Area of the wearer.

For the warer from right upper to left lower = Nordsee; from left upper to left lower = Baltic

Edited by Odulf

• 5 weeks later...

HI larry,

my references show that there were 4 Torpedobootshalbflottille.

Is there any writing on the reverse of the photo that might indicate where the photo was taken ??

Regards,Martin.

HI larry,

my references show that there were 4 Torpedobootshalbflottille.

Is there any writing on the reverse of the photo that might indicate where the photo was taken ??

Regards,Martin.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately nothing on the back of the photograph.

Cheers,

Larry

When you look at the thin blue line on the silk knot you can deduct that this sailor belonged to the Marinestation der Nordsee (see my previous remarks about this matter).

The portrait dates pre 1930 (Latin script), and in that time the I. Torpedobootsflottille (comprising 1. & 2. Torpedobootshalbflottille) was stationed in the Ostsee.

Thus, this chap belonged to a TB of the II. Topedobootsflottille (comprising 3. & 4. Torpedobootshalbflottille).

An interesting photo of four sailors wearing the cap tally "Marine Nachrichenschule" in Fraktur script.

On the sailor's cap, the black/white/red national cockade, which was re-instated per Vfg.v. 14.3.1933 and 15.3.1933 (MV 33, Nr.65, 67) to replace the oval gilt cap badge with the black Weimar eagle.

But the German eagle on the breast and on the cap was not introduced until a year later, per Vfg. 24.3.1934.

Edited by Odulf

In October 1929 replacement of Latin by Fraktur script cap tallies was ordered.The first ships to receive the new tallies in May 1930 were the Cruisers Karlsruhe and Köln, shortly before they went on an international journey. Later the other sailing and land based units followed.

Gunners o/b the cruiser Nürnberg (from:Jahrbuch der deutschen Kriegsmarine 1937).

• 3 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Some time ago I bought this set of pictures offered on eBay. Unfortunately the vendor broke up a series and none was marked, thus not a clue about their context.

But in the end, the photo where the cap talies are visible give the clue, it is Otto Ciliax as a Kapitän zur See o/b the Panzerschiff Admiral Scheer somewhere between 1936 and 1938.