News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 3 weeks later...

I have a photo (see above) with a similar tally, my best guess is SPERRSCHULVERBAND, a tally worn between 1936 and 1939.

I have a photo (see above) with a similar tally, my best guess is SPERRSCHULVERBAND, a tally worn between 1936 and 1939.

Thanks for help and comment.Now i see your Photo with similar tally.

Hi Martin,

I did not have it in my list either, but there have been many more tallies which were not "listed" in books etc.

That's the reason why such a study as your's is so valuable.

My list contains 440+ different titles, but I think it's not half of all the tallies that were worn, at one time or another, previous to September 1939 (exclusive Marine HJ, Merchant Navy Institutes, and others).

Regards, Odulf

Hi Martin,

I did not have it in my list either, but there have been many more tallies which were not "listed" in books etc.

That's the reason why such a study as your's is so valuable.

My list contains 440+ different titles, but I think it's not half of all the tallies that were worn, at one time or another, previous to September 1939 (exclusive Marine HJ, Merchant Navy Institutes, and others).

Regards, Odulf

Hopefully,we can come up with more rare and "unlisted" titles here Odulf.

Thank you for your input.

Regards,Martin.

• 3 weeks later...

Tallies with the name of the ship/unit in Gothic script (Frakturschrift) were introduced in 1930, and they continued to be worn until 5 September 1939, and again between 1955 and 1960.

Here some portraits of sailors of the Reichsmarine, beween 1930 and 1933.

Nachrichtenstelle Warnemünde

Kreuzer Leipzig

Linienschiff Schlesien

About the Mützenbänder, there is not so much detailed information available as hoped for. In my library I have the next titles, which deal with the subject more or less extensively:

- "Unsere Marineuniform - Ihre geschichtliche Entstehung seit den ersten Anfängen und ihre zeitgemässe Weiterentwickelung von 1816 bis 1969", zusammengestellt und bearbeitet von Josef Zienert; Hellmut Gerhard Schutz Verlag, Hamburg, 1970.

- "Die Mützenbänder der Kaiserlichen Deutschen Marine 1848-1920", Herausgeber und Verlag Horst Rivier, Kolbermoor, 1980.

- "Die Mützenbänder der Deutschen Reichsmarine und der Kriegsmarine des III. Reiches 1920-1945, Herausgeber und Verlag Horst Rivier, Kolbermoor, 1980.

- "Headgear of Hitler's Germany - Volume 1: Heer - Luftwaffe - Kriegsmarine", by Jull Halcomb and Wilhelm P.B.R. Saris with Otto Spronk; Published by R.James Bender Publishing, San Jose, Ca., 1989.

- "Die Kriegsmarine - Uniforms & traditions - Volume 1", by John R. Angolia and Adolf Schlicht; Published by R.James Bender Publishing, San Jose, Ca., 1991.

- "Die Deutsche Wehrmacht - Uniformierung und Ausrüstung 1933-1945 - Band 2, Die Kriegsmarine", Adolf Schlicht / John R. Angolia; Motorbuch Verlag, Stuttgart, 1995.

An interesting quote from the first book on the list (Unsere Marineuniform, page 274) I will include below. It states: Auf den Mützenbändern ist zunächst (1935) überall an der Stelle der Beschriftung "Reichsmarine" jetzt "Kriegsmarine"getreten. [On the cap tallies, from 1935 on, any where in place of the text "Reichsmarine" from now on "Kriegsmarine" is worn]

In the Imperial Navy, a tally with "KAISERLICHE MARINE" was used (in gold and silver text) by unassigned sailors, and after the Great War (in 1920) this was replaced by a tally "REICHSMARINE" (in gold). Probably a tally "Reichsmarine" in Gothic script followed in 1930, and this, according to Josef Zienert, was replaced by a tally "Kriegsmarine" in 1935. So this could lead to the conclusion that the tally "Kriegsmarine" was in use long before that tally replaced all other tallies in September 1939.

To confirm this, I would be interested to see a portrait of a sailor wearing the "Kriegsmarine" tally, dated before September 1939 (preferably with a postmark). I have gone through my collection but without success.

Edited by Odulf

To confirm this, I would be interested to see a portrait of a sailor wearing the "Kriegsmarine" tally, dated before September 1939 (preferably with a postmark). I have gone through my collection but without success.

Interesting observation Odulf.

I will go through my collection and look at dated images.

Thanks for the list of books on the subject also.This is very helpful.

I do have the Rivier 1920-1945 book,plus the Headgear,Vol 1 and the complete set of Die Krtiegsmarine.

Regards,Martin.

• 2 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

A couple of new additions in my collection.

First,is another example of the Marinenachrichtenschule.Odulf posted the same type of tally in post # 21.

Edited by Martin W

• 2 weeks later...

Well,there is not much going on in the awards department for me lately,but i was able to pick up these two new additions to my photo collection.

Schlachtschiffe Scharnhorst.

Edited by Martin W