News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Es gibt nichts das es nicht gegeben hat .....

It's probably a silly question but somebody has to ask!!

What has the General got wrong? Breast Star not in the correct position perhaps?

I thought that would be obvious from the comparison of the gentleman in the enlargement with the other gents in the pic, but perhaps I'm wrong. Check out the collar tabs....

Edited by GdC26

That is not a minor mistake, but major big time. How could the tailor have messed that up?

And how could the general miss it when putting on the litewka .....? Es gibt nichts das es nicht gegeben hat .....

Gentlemen, thank you very much for the kind and gentle reprimand. My focus was on the Orders, Medals & Decorations. Never noticed the Kragenspiegel. You live and learn!!

That is what it is all about eh?

Kind regards.

Östa

And how could the general miss it when putting on the litewka .....? Es gibt nichts das es nicht gegeben hat .....

By the tentative look on his face ("have they noticed?"), I think he realised the moment he put his new litewka on but, with ten minutes before the parade, there was no time to do anything about it :(

Good spot, GdC26!

Edited by Trooper_D

Östa, I'm looking at it, but what specifically, are your drawing our attention to, please?

To be clear - the picture that started this thread shows Kronprinz Rupprecht von Bayern with several bavarian generals during a postwar gathering. Most generals wear Bavarian style generals tunics with the prussian style collar tabs (Altlarisch) adopted by Bavaria in 1916 (if memory serves). The general I have singled out in the second picture wears a Litewka with what appears to be a Bavarian Borte in front of the collar tabs, and has the collar tabs mounted the wrong way around.

I scanned the link you sent me, but see nothing that addresses (i) Bavarian uniforms and (ii) the mounting of the collar tabs in the manner done by the general shown in the second pic.

Edited by GdC26

Hallo GdC26,

I am simply pointing out an alternative point of view.

5.jpg

What alternative point of view? These collar tabs are (i) WWII vintage and (ii) shown in the right direction - assuming the collar is pointing down, this is how they should be mounted.

• 2 years later...

Just came across this thread. The Generalleutnant with the messed-up collar tabs is, I believe,

Generalleutnant Eduard Lang (1860-1935)

He is wearing the officer's cross (pin-back) to the Bavarian Military Merit Order, which was only introduced for a few years, not many got it. 

Thanks Chris. I was trying to find his face on the web - do you have a picture of hte Generalleuntant? You're right about the officers cross (introduced in 1905 if I'm not mistaken), but Lang was certainly not the only Bavarian general who got one.

Regards,

Sandro

10 hours ago, GdC26 said:

Thanks Chris. I was trying to find his face on the web - do you have a picture of hte Generalleuntant? You're right about the officers cross (introduced in 1905 if I'm not mistaken), but Lang was certainly not the only Bavarian general who got one.

Regards,

Sandro

Not the only one, no. But there are not too many with the Officer's Cross. After looking into the rank lists, I can rule out all the others. 

This general has surprisingly many plain-looking medals on his bar, for a general. Actually, that fits, because Lang held the Centenary and the China Medal, both unusual for a Bavarian. I'm pretty sure it is him. 

Edited by webr55

Hello : Really curious ,the General appears to have composed a personal parade dress .Litewka with plain buttons , helm and feldbinde . the alt larisch braid pointed to the back of the collar is tailor mistake ? or a bavarian invention? possible . the bavarians never acepted without reserves the prussian style . As anecdotical I say to the forists that here in Argentina between 1932 and 1941 generals weared the alt larisch braid over a red patch sewed to the closed collar of the white tunic of the summer parade dress only and the braid was pointed to the back . 

7 hours ago, Bayern said:

"the alt larisch braid pointed to the back of the collar is tailor mistake ? or a bavarian invention?"

Hello Bayern, it's not a bavaraian invention. From the top of my head, the Bavarians introduced the "Altlarische" stickerei in 1916, and expressed their independence by placing a small checkered Tresse (Borte) in Bavaraian state colours  in front of hte prussian style insignia. I think you can see that in the pic at hand as well. Is it me, or is the altlarische stickerei on the left side of the collar (seen from the front) lower than on the right? If so, that could perhaps indicate a rush job to get ready for the parade ....

Regards,

Sandro 

Edited by GdC26

The one second from right is

Generalleutnant Ludwig Ritter von Tutschek (1864-1937)

At the neck, he is wearing the Max Joseph Commander grade above his Pour le Merite. He also has the Bavarian Military Merit Order 2nd class star with swords, and on his bar you see, in second-to-last position, a Swedish Order of the Sword (listed in the 1914 ranklist and in his DOA 1908/09 entry).

Tutschek.png

Edited by webr55

The Major at the center can probably not be identified, but he is wearing a number of 1920s unofficial awards like the Kyffhäuser Medal - and he also has the Hungarian War Remembrance Medal. This actually means that the photo must have been taken between 1929, when this Medal was first handed out, and 1934, when the Hindenburg Cross replaced all the unofficial awards. 

center.png

Edited by webr55

The General standing next to the Crown Prince is

Generalmajor Otto Staubwasser (1866-1949)

He is wearing the Officer's Cross to the Bavarian MMO, the version with swords, awarded during WW1 (in his case, on 12.10.1917 as Oberst and Battalion commander of the 2nd IR). On his tunic is also the Officer's Cross of the Mecklenburg Greifenorden. The combination of these two awards makes him identifiable. There would have been a second candidate, Generalmajor Georg Steinbauer, however he had a Prussian Red Eagle with swords. Staubwasser has a Red Eagle on his bar, but that one is clearly without swords.

Staubwasser.png

Edited by webr55