News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Alexis Fürst zu Bentheim und Steinfurt

Dear fellow collectors,

I have recently visited Schloss Bentheim in Bad Bentheim, one of the oldest castles in northern Germany. I go there every year with my family and every year I look forward to visiting the castle. It has a lovely collection of awards from the imperial era, together with some uniforms, helmets, caps and equipment. Most of the awards are centered around Alexis Fürst zu Bentheim und Steinfurt. His RAO 1. klasse, his Lippe verdienstkreuz 2. klasse and several other high european orders. There are also a number of awards on bow-ribbon, which I suppose were given to his wife. Among these awards on bow-ribbon there is a Luisen-orden, several marriage-medals and a silver (?) China-denkmünze on bow-rbbon. My question is, was this award given to women during the time of the Boxer-rebellion. I've added some pictures, please excuse the quality, my camera has the power of a potato. I have also added a picture of a painting in the castle, depicting Georg Viktor von Waldeck-Pyrmont, the father of his Alexis' wife Pauline.

Kind regards, and thanks in advance, Laurentius

20190225_131511.jpg

20180227_110749.jpg

20180227_110744.jpg

20180227_110736.jpg

20180227_110722.jpg

20180227_110712.jpg

20180227_110718.jpg

There were several awards of churhessian orders to the House Bentheim and its different branches

CHGL2a 08.12.1817 to Carl Franz Eugen Fürst v. Bentheim (28.03.1791-04.12.1871) a churhess. Rittmeister

CHGL2b 05.10.1831 to Friedrich Wilhelm Christian August Graf von Bentheim-Tecklenburg-Rheda (21.01.1767 - 26.12.1835) a churhessian Kammerherr

CHGL1 14.03.1844  to Ludwig Casimir Wilhelm Heinrich Clemens Fürst zu Bentheim-Bentheim und Bentheim-Steinfurt a danish GM

CHGL1 23.12.1848 to Ludwig Wilhelm Erbprinz von Bntheim-Bentheim und Bentheim-Steinfurt 

a collection of churhessian Orders is displayed in pics 3 and 4

Edited by David M

Dear David M,

9 hours ago, David M said:

we all know the kurhessian orders in pic 3 and 4 were to his father who was awarded the CHGL1 23.12.1848. Christmasgift I guess

I said most, not all;), the medalbar next to the multiple Kurhessian House-Orders of the Golden Lion also did not belong to him. The last award on this medalbar, on the blue ribbon has been removed and someone put a KVK on there, backwards. I think there might have been a Treudienst-ehrenzeichen there, removed after the war perhaps?

Kind regards, Laurentius

Laurentius,

The answer to your question about the China-denkmunze is yes if the medal on the bow is steel.  Please see below.

Regards,

Gordon  

The China Medal is a on May 10, 1901 by Emperor Wilhelm II donated honor symbol on the occasion of the armed conflicts in East Asia between 1900 and 1901 with the participation of the German armed forces.

170px-China-Denkm%C3%BCnze_recto.jpg

China Medal
    170px-ChinaDenkmuenze.jpg

Backside of China Memorial coin

The commemorative coin is made of steel or bronze and shows on the front an eagle holding a dragon in its claws, on the reverse the imperial initial, above it the imperial crown and at the commemorative bronze the inscription The victorious combatants 1900 China 1901 ; at the steel made merit to the expedition to China . It is worn on the left chest on an orange, black-white-red-ribbed band.

The China Medal in bronze was awarded to those involved in the armed conflict members of the German army and navy, to all persons not of Chinese nationality who at this time of the embassy in Beijing or at the consulate in Tien-tsin have listened and have been present as well as the nursing staff working in the hospitals and hospital ships.

The China Commemorative Medal in Steel was awarded to all persons who were exceptionally active in the interests of the troops sent to East Asiaand to the crews of German ships chartered to transport troops to East Asia.

It could also be awarded to members of allied troops. China commemorative coins have also been donated in Italy (1901), France (1902), England, the USA, Japan and Russia .

Dear VtwinVince,

yes indeed, truly beautiful, one of the reasons I visit every year. It is a shame that not all decorations belonging to Alexis are displayed. The picture of him in the glass showcase, just like his uniform, show that he had more decorations than are shown in the castle. Perhaps some orders are still in Burg Steinfurt, the other castle of the Zu Bentheim und Steinfurt family, or lost during the war. I wonder what happened to Alexis' EK2 from the Franco-Prussian war.

Kind regards, Laurentius

• 4 years later...
    On 02/03/2019 at 04:56, VtwinVince said:

Now that's an interesting medal bar, isn't that an English Jubilee Medal on the end?

Correct, probably the gold jubilee medal 1887. The picture is from before 1897 (I think) because it does not have the attachment for the diamond jubilee medal of 1897.

On 01/03/2019 at 17:31, VtwinVince said:

Looks like a very nice collection of some rare orders.

I noticed during my last visit (this august) that almost all the orders had been removed. Some of the uniforms and helmets remained. I wonder if they were moved to the other castle of the family, whether they were lend to a museum or whether they were sold, given the prices for such pieces in the current market.