News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet Theater and Performing Arts

Hi all,

Any opinions on this one? :unsure: Possible translation if it's readable? I think it's something about Moscow on the reverse. :unsure:

Another goodie from my beloved wife. :love::love::jumping::jumping:

Will do better scans and measurements when it arrives. :D

Thanks! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman

• Replies 75
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

No ideas on this one at all? :unsure: None of my Soviet refs cover this sort of thing and I've searched the web till I'm blue in the face. Totally in the dark. How bout on the inscriptions? I'm hoping blown up (at least on the reverse) someone can make it out. But I promise as soon as it arrives (hopefully tomorrow or Saturday) I'll do better scans.

Thanks, :beer:

Hi all,

Okay... the eagle has landed! Just got this in today as I'd hoped. Thank God for Priority Mail!!!! :jumping::jumping: Just ran down and did some scans which I hope show alot more detail and will help in getting this translated and perhaps identified. Hoping I did okay on this one. Well, without further ado... the scans:

Full Obverse:

Appears that much of the obverse was originally gold plated but it has either worn off or possibly been absorbed over time... if the same happens on some Soviet awards as with some TR German awards. But the hanger has survived in like new condition.

Banner:

Full Reverse:

Reverse closeup:

Seems the reverse at least had a nice blued finish although that doesn't show up well in the scans. Just in person in good light. Not sure if this is silver or steel or what. Kinda hefty when you hold it and definitely hot enamel. A great piece. Size wise the main medallion is a bit bigger than a U.S. nickel.

Would it hurt to clean this one up a bit? I don't do such on a whim but I'm very tempted with this one. Especially on the back as it has a very uneven and unappealing tarnish or patina "if" that's what it is.

Anyhow I'd deeply appreciate any help with translation, identification (if possible) or any other info on this little jewel. Again hoping we did good with this one. :D

Full Reverse:

Reverse closeup:

Seems the reverse at least had a nice blued finish although that doesn't show up well in the scans. Just in person in good light. Not sure if this is silver or steel or what. Kinda hefty when you hold it and definitely hot enamel. A great piece. Size wise the main medallion is a bit bigger than a U.S. nickel.

Would it hurt to clean this one up a bit? I don't do such on a whim but I'm very tempted with this one. Especially on the back as it has a very uneven and unappealing tarnish or patina "if" that's what it is.

Anyhow I'd deeply appreciate any help with translation, identification (if possible) or any other info on this little jewel. Again hoping we did good with this one. :D

Well, my Russian leaves a lot to be desired, but I'll try. I think this is a participant's badge for a 1955 10-day Festival of Belorussian Art and Literature held in Moscow, sponsored by the USSR Ministry of Culture. I think the banner says something like "For Creative Success".

The design intrigues me. I have seen something similar in an Imperial graduation badge from, IIRC, the St. Petersburg Institute of Art and Music. Somewhere around here I have a very small transition government version of that graduation badge. I think that grad badge might be pretty rare.

As for cleaning, since this is likely not a piece that must be preserved for its significance, that would simply be a matter of personal taste. If you want a shiny-new appearance for items in your collection, without regard to context or re-sale, go for it. I know plenty of guys who do that. I prefer to leave them as is.

Thanks for sharing.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Many thanks for the translation. That's very interesting about the grad badge. Would love to see pics if not too much trouble. Was kinda hoping perhaps this was something a bit on the special side but guessing it's just another among many badges they put out. Well, still think it's a nice one. And anything Kim gets me is tops in my book. :jumping::jumping:

Guess I'll stay on the hunt and perhaps something else will pop up down the road. So many things I'm shooting for once my warchest is built back up... just a matter of which ones turn up first at the right price. :P

Thanks again, :beer:

<<Would love to see pics if not too much trouble.>>

OK, I found this little badge, but I've never really been sure what it is. What I think it might be, is a Transition Period graduate's badge from the St. Petersburg Institute, thus a scarce item even in this condition. It is really small, as much a lapel pin as anything, and somewhat damaged. It's only 2.5 cm high. I would welcome anyone's comments about this badge.

Meanwhile, this continues to be an interesting thread. Keep 'em coming.

Chuck

The only information I have about the Concert Front is that basically it was organised by the Ministry of Culture to ensure that the officers and troops were properly entertained. The Bolshoi Theatre was responsible for organising it and the various theatres and conservatoires had to contribute.

There's actually a good book out there about this entitled "Culture and Entertainment in Wartime Russia" by Richard Stites and published by the Indiana University Press. It has an entire chapter about the Frontline Concert Brigade.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Yes, I am aware that many believe that "military music" is an oxymoron. However, I thought I'd share this photo in this thread.

What I think I've got here is a photo of musicians at the Central Asia Military District #5 Music Olympics held in Tashkent, Jan. 20, 1940. I think they fit in here under the "performing arts" umbrella. As I recall (not from this period personally, mind you), any entertainment was better than no entertainment. Maybe they weren't Bob Hope and Joey Heatherton (showing my age here) but they were living proof to the troops that they hadn't been forgotten. That was good enough.

Yes, I am aware that many believe that "military music" is an oxymoron. However, I thought I'd share this photo in this thread.

What I think I've got here is a photo of musicians at the Central Asia Military District #5 Music Olympics held in Tashkent, Jan. 20, 1940. I think they fit in here under the "performing arts" umbrella. As I recall (not from this period personally, mind you), any entertainment was better than no entertainment. Maybe they weren't Bob Hope and Joey Heatherton (showing my age here) but they were living proof to the troops that they hadn't been forgotten. That was good enough.

Hi Chuck,

Great pic! :jumping::jumping: Generally we tend to see pics of military operations, training, etc., so it's nice to find something like this for a change. And in my mind it definitely goes along with the performing arts. Thanks so much for sharing this one! :beer:

• 8 months later...
    • 1 year later...

Thanks for reviving this thread. It's a good one.

Here's an obscure little badge from the 1957 Kirghiz Theater Festival. You remember that one, right? I conducted the Frunze Children's Little Theater play "All Rise for Comrade Krushchev".

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

I apologize for not being able to provide better detail of the reverse engraving; but it seems to say - Neapolitan Orchestra - Gubel N. N. - City of Leningrad - 1936.

Any information that any of you may be able to provide on this would be most appreciated. Thank you and best wishes,

Wild Card

• 4 weeks later...