News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Afghanistan & Operational Service Medals

Hi,
    Has anyone any idea what the current state of play is, as regards medals issued for this campaign, is the OSM still being awarded? I`ve heard talk of a NATO medal with the clasp ISAF. Anyone any ideas?? I also believe that theres a heavy TA involvement out there, does this mean that there`ll be a medal that loads of TA have, but few Regular soldiers?? Now theres a thought, has there ever been another campaign where this has been the case??
    BJOW.

• 4 months later...
    • 1 month later...

For one, the taliban don't wear uniforms, 2. they run across the border to Pakistan if things get too hot. 3. they are well financed by saudi oil money, 4. there are lots of hiding places in the mountains. 5. they are fanatics who want to kill anyone....

(topic moderated please read forum rules)

Same as every other time the Brits went in to "sort them out".... or the Russkies....

Hi Jacques... why is the Afghan clasp not on an Outre Mer? And what is the middle one on the top row?

The Afghan clasp was added to the Center-Europe Commemorative Medal and not to the Overseas Medal. I don't know why . I would have prefer ... Overseas medal is more associated to Africa (not everywhere), Cambodia, Gulf war...

the second medal is the " Nation Gratitude Medal" for participation to foreign operations.

jacques

Edited by jacques

The Operational Service Medal (OSM) was introduced in 1999 and effective from 1st January 2000. It is intended to replace the Campaign Service Medal (CSM) for minor campaigns that are not awarded their own seperate medal (with the exception of operations in Northern Ireland and Air Operations Over Iraq which continues to see the CSM awarded).

It seems likely that a seperate ribbon will be awarded for each minor campaign (similar to the UN medal). Two ribbons have so far been awarded the first for Sierra Leone and the second for Afghanistan.

Obverse: The crowned effigy of HM Queen Elizabeth II. Reverse: A four pointed star with a crown between each arm of the star resting on a sword. In the centre is a cicular disc containing the Union Flag made from a central cross and the blades of the swords. Around the disc is the inscription 'FOR OPERATIONAL SERVICE'.

The picture below has the Sierra Leone ribbon, but the medal its self is the same for Afgan.

They would be better than the NATO or UN ones.... if Queeny did not look like the grandmother in the Giles Comic with an extra large chamber pot on her head. Check out the evolution of regents heads on British medals in the last 150 years, the head gets smaller and the crown gets bigger.... with the new lot it has reached a point that when I see them I can only think "Man... thats one BIG motherfckn crown !!!"

I hate that oversized crown it is UGLY !!!

As for the OSM I would not be at all suprised to see a new GSM on the horizon as I don't think the OSM is sustainable in its current form.

• 2 weeks later...

As for the OSM I would not be at all suprised to see a new GSM on the horizon as I don't think the OSM is sustainable in its current form.

Unfortunately, I do think that the OSM will be sustainable.

I think that the Govt. has looked about the world and seen the veritable Christmas Trees on the chests of some countries and come to the conclusion that our boys look naked. They may also have looked at the NATO and UN medal issues and decided to standardise our medal issues like them. Perhaps Lord Robertson (Is that his name - bit of a mental block) had a hand in that.

It could also be a cost issue. It's going to be far easier & cheaper running off a large production of OSM's & new ribbons than to have to come up with small numbers of clasps and bars for a CSM every so often.

Cheers

Graeme

A agree!!!!

I don`t think any service personel with complain about having too many medals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Except when you have to get them mounted that is!!!!

It beggars the question given recent events in the UK, whether there should be a medal issued to the Police, Fire & Ambulance, maybe similar to the WW2 Defence Medal? What do you guys think?

Surely things like this will be come more common, and I know we fought the IRA,etc for 30 years with any medals, but it would be nice if they did decide to award our emergancy service personal with a medal!!!!

It's a great idea but it may be difficult to come up with criteria for the medal. If you give it to a fireman who dealt with London do you also give it to a fireman who dealt with the aftermath of a nasty pile up on the motorway. Both equally traumatising and demanding on the people involved in their own right.

Perhaps greater use should be made of the commendations and gallantry awards (and the scope widened) that are currently available to recognise their efforts.

Graeme

Hi G,

Thats a good point. But didn`t the RUC used to have a medal, for any officer that served 18 months? Couldn`t we have something like that?

I for one would certainly welcome, more awards for Police Officers, they seem to go unrewarded, a vast amount of the time. Something that merits a soldier to get an MID or MC, goes unrecognised for a Bobby, who appears to be just doing his duty?

G.