News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medalstand for screwback-orders

Gentlemen,

i had an idea for a Medalstand this morning and would like to get some comments on the design of this thing. Don?t look at the quality, i quickly cobbled something together, with the materials, i had available at home.

I like wood and glass and i like geometrical shapes, like you can see. Imagine this one with a real glass disk (thicker glass of course to make it more stable) and a well made wood-frame. The disc attached on this one is plexiglass. It may not make sense for a Red Star, but i guess a Bogdan Khmelnitsky or an Order of Lenin would look very nice on this stand.

What do you think? Worth to develop it further?

Thanks for looking

Gerd

Edited by Gerd Becker

Gerd,

Excellent idea. I would stick with perspex rather than glass, less chance of breakage, chipping etc. Also, rather than having parts of it in wood I would have the entire stand in perspex so that all you see is the order.

Alternatively, have the wood stained black and black coating on the perspex so that the entire stand is black and the order stands out in contrast against it.

:beer:

Paul

Gentlemen,

thanks a lot for the suggestions. I will do the final version in black to see, how it looks like. And i will use perspex rather than glass, as i guess, a really safe glass disk could be too thick for shortened screwposts.

Could you imagine a bigger (2-3 place) version with a rectangular plate for groups? Or even bigger? And do you think, the felt should be attached to the disk/plate or should only be available as an option? I haven?t tried it without felt yet, but i guess, the order would leave too many scratches on the disk.

Once again, thanks you all very much for the tips :beer:

I will let you know the outcome and show the final version.

regards,

Gerd

Suggestion: Rectangular piece of plexiglas, heat and bend (or cut, mitered and screwed back together) to a 50-60 degree angle. If you like the wood, use some strips to frame the plexi.

...rough idea:

Cool idea Gerd but I think Ralph has just nailed it .... 100% made from clear plexiglass/perspex, wide base with centre of gravity right through the centre of the base. Lightweight transparent structure.....

Brilliant!

Jim

Edited by jimzammit

Suggestion: Rectangular piece of plexiglas, heat and bend (or cut, mitered and screwed back together) to a 50-60 degree angle. If you like the wood, use some strips to frame the plexi.

...rough idea:

Thats excellent, Ralph! Thanks for the idea. Thats not only nice, but also very stable.

I?ll get some perspex in the next days and try both ideas. I?ll keep you updated.

Great suggestions everyone, thanks a lot :beer:

Hi Gerd

That's a darn good idea. I've seen something similar, but you should be able to sell some of these on this and other forums, on The Bay and at any shows that you do. Do you sandwich the item between two pieces of acryllic, maybe with spacers of the same wood, or just mount them to the acryllic? It looks like the latter.

I think I will make some larger versions for a few of my documented groups and see how they turn out, and I'm going to try the 2-piece idea for them, and keep the documents inside sleeves of their own within the display. It will at least keep them a little cleaner and be easier to clean when I need to. I have a particular need in my early aviation and Imperial medical collections, with lesser needs elsewhere.

Personally, I like the wood frames with acryllic pieces. I make small things with exotic woods and nice wood often hides the craftsman's flaws. Plus, if you are contemplating selling these, different exotic (or interesting domestic) woods gives people something else to choose from and will definitely catch people's eye. I mean, everyone has all-acryllic holders, but not everyone has, say, mahoghany-frame acryllic displays.

Be careful here. You may find, as I have, that getting too many orders (believe it or not) takes some of the fun out of making things. Of course, paying for your hobby, even having a few bucks left over, isn't a bad consolation. In fact, I'm going out to my garage/shop right now and fill a nice order for some turned pens.

Displaying groups in an appropriate, interesting and respectful manner has always been a challenge for me. Anyone else have any good ideas about that? What has worked for you?

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

thanks a lot for your opinion and the suggestions. I am going to do different versions, the one displayed on top of the thread, another 2-place with a rectangular plate and additionally i?ll try to do the version, Ralph suggested. I like the idea with the different woods and i think, a nice dark wood would look very nice too. If i get ahold of the parts, i need, i get some darker wood too.

This version is just mounted on the acrylic, but i really like the idea of an additional layer to protect the piece. That wouldn?t be too difficoult, i guess. This would also add the possibility to display Documents between two layers and probably even combinations are possible, an Order with a Document for example...

I will work on this idea and include the excellent suggestions from this thread.

Doc, i?ll keep your inquiry in mind :)

Gerd

Nice Gerd. I'd use actual Russian uniform cloth. Easy enough to get and the prices are reasonable... I like it, you can finish the wood anyway you like. Patent it quick!!! :beer:

Thanks, Rick. The use of Uniforum cloth is a good idea and like you said, it should be easy to get ahold of a reproduction-tunic for this.

I have a talent to miss the obvious :speechless:

Thanks again :beer:

Gerd

Guys, aren't you afraid about oxydation by displaying your screwback orders so ??? :o

Me I would't try this on a long term.

Would/does acryllic emit a corrosive outgas? I suppose that wood does, at least a bit. Normal air circulation is likely to eliminate any hazard to collectibles attributable to those causes. Note that this merely is my opinion, not something that I have researched.

Short of museum-quality display or storage, with inert gases and temperature/humidity controls, I think Gerd's idea is a good one for most of us here. I wouldn't fear inordinate oxidation or other damage from his method of display, or pretty much any other. I do have a very few documents that deserve special attention, but I have yet to give them that. For my sparklies, most anything is better than just sitting in boxes. For me, getting my things out of boxes and into displays far outweighs any potential for corrosion inherent in Gerd's displays.

I would like to see a lot more ideas for displays. Is there such a thing as acryllic pegboard? If there is, where can I buy some?

Sometimes I forget how much I loved show-n-tell.

Gerd, thanks a bunch for this thread.

Chuck