News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

Some time ago I mentioned that I was going to recreate the spange of my uncle, Major Dr. Ochs. Here is the result. I know you purists are going to cringe. I'm no Ordensjuwelier, but I think the result is quasi-okay. I used high-density cardboard for the back plate, and sewed the medals directly to it, then used black felt for the backing. Now I just need the swords device for the Austrian KDM and a Luft eagle for the Wehrmacht DA.

Gentlemen,

Some time ago I mentioned that I was going to recreate the spange of my uncle, Major Dr. Ochs. Here is the result. I know you purists are going to cringe. I'm no Ordensjuwelier, but I think the result is quasi-okay. I used high-density cardboard for the back plate, and sewed the medals directly to it, then used black felt for the backing. Now I just need the swords device for the Austrian KDM and a Luft eagle for the Wehrmacht DA.

Hi Vince

nice bar !! what is the last medal?

The last medal is the Italo-German Campaign Medal awarded by Italy to Germans.

Here's the obverse & reverse

:beer: Doc

... for participation in the North African Campaign(Afrika Korps).

I would have thought that the Austrian WW1 Commemorative Medal would have been postioned before the Hungarian Medal... also, I would think that African Campaign medal would be in a higher position than the Comm medals.(unless you were going by a photo of his actual bar).

Regards

Paul

I would have thought that the Austrian WW1 Commemorative Medal would have been postioned before the Hungarian Medal...

If I remember correctly, it was me who told him this - or I told it anyone else who asked the same question, have no idea.

We're talking about post1938, when Nazi Germany made Austria a part of Germany, and the imperial Austrian awards were worn like any other war awards of former German kingdoms und grand duchies ...

Please, ccorrect me if I'm wrong on this.

Paul,

Thank You for finishing my sentence!! Much appreciated :P

:beer: Doc

I have your back, brother! :cheeky:

I know that Vince is recreating a medal bar. I also know that there are tons of original bars that are not in the correct order as well. I am not being critial, yet I am just curious if the medals were placed in the order Vince saw in a photo or ...

Thanks for the comments, gentlemen. I took the precedence directly from Dave, and I hope I got it right. John, I don't have any photos of him wearing his big spange, only this one of him with the feldspange, summer 1940 as CO of 9. JG 3. In fact, I have very few photos of him from WW 2, and I've been looking for years for what would be for me the Holy Grail, a photo of him with his ME 109.

Great photo! So as a flying officer he's elected to wear a WW1 pilot's and not a commemorative pilot's badge. Did he have a photo album that is also MIA, Vince? Do you have family in Europe with more bits unaware that you lie awake nights dreaming of goblets and crosses? :sleep::lol:

Rgds

John

LOL John, yes, I'm guilty of all of the above. Needless to say, recovering my uncle's "lost goodies" has become an obsession over the years. According to him, much of his ephemera was "liberated" by US forces while he was recuperating from surgery in a field hospital at wars' end. The items that did survive, including his 1918 Ehrenbecher, were hidden by his sister and recovered later. I believe his 1940 Ehrenpokal is in a collection in Germany, but that's another story....

Vince,

I'm not all that well versed in matters "TR", ...but, that caveat being said, I recall reading that "Italian" medals were often removed from ribbon and medal bars in late 1943 and 1944, once Italian t forces withdrew from the war and either surrendered to the Allies or were disarmed and interned by German forces in Italy.

The presence of an Italian medal on your uncles's chest/bar suggests 1942 or 1943...and prior to the 1944/1945.

Interesting how some medals can come and go....much like Brian's grandfather's Japanese and Russian medals being removed during WWI, but "politically correct" for pre-1914, or post 1919. :D

Les