News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yugoslavian Partisan Stars

Here are my favorite yugoslavian orders in my collection. They are simple, but to my eyes among the most beautiful orders of Eastern europe communist bloc.

Here is a new addition to my collection.

Partisan Star 2nd Class

• Replies 344
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

My one and only diversion into Yugoslav awards, 3rd class # 12,491:

It's really difficult to get the nice enamel to SCAN well.

On the Mondvor Partisan Stars, the Russian made an error and spelled wrong the inscription in Slovenian language. Instead of STOLPNJE it should be STOPNJE. The word STOPNJE means "grade" in slovenian (or "class" I guess) . I heard that on first and second class you can find them with Croatian and Serb inscriptions in Latin and in Cyrillic.

You should be able to get a 3rd Class from the Monetny Dvor for around $50 and one from the IKOM at $35. I would better save the money for a Monetny Dvor. These are much nicer!

Instead of collecting Mongolian awards like many members here, I decided to make a Yugoslavian collection. These are very nice and much cheaper than the Mongolian ones. They are also numbered, so who knows maybe one day research will be availible. :rolleyes:

The Partisan Star was awarded in 3 Classes: 1st Class: Red Star with gold laurel wreath, 2nd Class: Red Star with silver laurel wreath and the 3rd Class: Red Star with crossed riffles. The order was instituted on August 15th 1943. It was awarded to partisans who had shown exceptional leadership and bravery in the war.

The red five-pointed star was initially used by the partisan fighters as the symbol of the liberation movement and the communist revolution. Since the very beginning, the symbol was also used on the national tricolour flags carried by the partisan units. So they also put the Red Star on this nice order.

Edited by Soviet

Thanks. Interesting. Any idea as to numbers awarded? Were they given to allied troops?

Any way to tell the difference between a wartime issue piece and a later made piece? Are the Russian made ones post war or before 1946?

Thanks,

I am full of questions-sorry.

As far as I know, these were also issued to Russians who fought in Yugoslavia. There is no real way to say if it?s a wartime issue piece because the orders made by the MONETNY DVOR were also given after the war. What is for sure is that all IKOM made orders are post-war issued. The Russian orders were made during the war

The first shipment from the Soviet Union was in 1944 and the firsts to be awarded were on September 7th 1944.

A collector said on an other forum that these have been awarded :

1st class 627 from 1944-1980

2nd class 1531 from 1944-1972

3rd class 10384 from 1944-1972

There were 3 main shipments from the Soviet Union to Yugoslavia:

1. September 1944 : 1st class 1000 orders,2nd class 1750 orders and 3rd class 4000 orders

2. October 1944 :1st class 2116, 2nd class 3588 and 3rd class 8100 orders.

3. June 1945-2nd class 3000 and 3rd class 10000 orders, no 1st classes.

The forum member said that these are figures from the official list of orders from the chancellery in Belgrade from 1987.

The IKOM Partisan Stars 3rd Class start around the serial number 22,000 and these are for sure post-war.

That's interesting. There were 10,384 3rd Class awarded, but you can find them as high as in the 28,000. So there is a lot of 3rd Class on the market that comes from stocks in former Yugoslavia.

I have read somewhere that the orders weren't awarded in chorological order.

Research of numbered YU-Awards

Instead of collecting Mongolian awards like many members here, I decided to make a Yugoslavian collection. These are very nice and much cheaper than the Mongolian ones. They are also numbered, so who knows maybe one day research will be availible. :rolleyes:

Dear Bryan,

wise decision :beer: .

Research has to be possible and all our archives are in Belgrade.

After we have formed a new government, with new ministers, responsibilities etc. I will try to find a solution for researching the numbered awards (a lot of them are unnumbered!). I hope, that I - as the Secretary General of the "Austrian - Serbian Union" http://www.oejg.net - could offer a service to the collectors community. Coming week I will have another meeting with our military attachee in Vienna and I will ask him about the possibilities.

But the big mass of numbered YU-Awards at the market seems to be unissued and unawarded fresh from the stock :-(

We should also publish a comprehensive guide about YU-Awards.

Best regards

Christian

Christian that would be more than welcome! :jumping:

I really like Tito era orders and I guess if a comprehensive guide about Yugoslavian Awards was written, much more people would be interested to know more about this nation among the collector community. And if research is somehow available that would so NICE !!!

I guess you are the right man to make pressure on this issue. Good luck my friend!

By the way, there is a real lack of information about Yugoslavian awards among foreigners. Any guide or information is always welcome! :)

This is great news! Something I've been waiting to hear for years! I hope that researching yugoslav awards will really be possible some day!

Research of numbered YU-Awards

Dear Bryan,

wise decision :beer: .

Research has to be possible and all our archives are in Belgrade.

After we have formed a new government, with new ministers, responsibilities etc. I will try to find a solution for researching the numbered awards (a lot of them are unnumbered!). I hope, that I - as the Secretary General of the "Austrian - Serbian Union" http://www.oejg.net - could offer a service to the collectors community. Coming week I will have another meeting with our military attachee in Vienna and I will ask him about the possibilities.

But the big mass of numbered YU-Awards at the market seems to be unissued and unawarded fresh from the stock :-(

We should also publish a comprehensive guide about YU-Awards.

Best regards

Christian

Edited by Ostfront

• 1 month later...

Hello YU-orders collectors!

I would have a question. Some guy is offered to me the partisan star, fist class. I have already seen the order, it is in perfect condition, the russian type with the serial number some above 1400. That means the order is from "store". The price is 650 ?. What do you think about it?

I think it is not to expensive.

P.S.: The order of the partisan star was not given only to the partisans for their military merits during the WWII, but also to officer in post-war time for military merits in ithe YPA.

Thanks,

Darjan.

Hello YU-orders collectors!

I would have a question. Some guy is offered to me the partisan star, fist class. I have already seen the order, it is in perfect condition, the russian type with the serial number some above 1400. That means the order is from "store". The price is 650 ?. What do you think about it?

I think it is not to expensive.

P.S.: The order of the partisan star was not given only to the partisans for their military merits during the WWII, but also to officer in post-war time for military merits in ithe YPA.

Thanks,

Darjan.

Dear Darjan,

I think, that price is a real bargain :beer: .

A Partisan Star 1cl in pristine condition (Soviet made) for EUR 650,- is a very solid investment :D .

Best regards from your neighbour country

Christian

• 2 weeks later...

Partisan Star 2cl for EUR 250,- on sale

Gentlemen,

Darjan posted that link http://www.bolha.com/oglas2268817 to us, where a "Partisan Star" 2cl - fresh from the stock & in mint condition (looks almost like a 1cl ;) ) - is on sale.

Picture of that order:

Best regards :beer:

Christian

BTW: Darjan got his Partisan 1cl - congratulations :cheers: .

• 3 months later...

As far as I know, these were also issued to Russians who fought in Yugoslavia. There is no real way to say if it?s a wartime issue piece because the orders made by the MONETNY DVOR were also given after the war. What is for sure is that all IKOM made orders are post-war issued. The Russian orders were made during the war

The first shipment from the Soviet Union was in 1944 and the firsts to be awarded were on September 7th 1944.

A collector said on an other forum that these have been awarded :

1st class 627 from 1944-1980

2nd class 1531 from 1944-1972

3rd class 10384 from 1944-1972

There were 3 main shipments from the Soviet Union to Yugoslavia:

1. September 1944 : 1st class 1000 orders,2nd class 1750 orders and 3rd class 4000 orders

2. October 1944 :1st class 2116, 2nd class 3588 and 3rd class 8100 orders.

3. June 1945-2nd class 3000 and 3rd class 10000 orders, no 1st classes.

The forum member said that these are figures from the official list of orders from the chancellery in Belgrade from 1987.

The IKOM Partisan Stars 3rd Class start around the serial number 22,000 and these are for sure post-war.

Bringing this back to the top as I was offered a 3rd class recently from the Soivet Mint. For the third class according to the post above - there would have been 22,100 3rd class made in the Soivet Union between 1944 and 1945. I would assume that these had the serial numbers engraved in them and probably in numerical order (?) But if

"There were 10,384 3rd Class awarded, but you can find them as high as in the 28,000. So there is a lot of 3rd Class on the market that comes from stocks in former Yugoslavia."

Then that would seem that the Soviet stocks would have been enough well into the 1970's. So - my question is do we have any data of those that were awarded during WW2 and then after? Of course if they were not distributed sequentialy, then this makes the matters worse when trying to figure out New Old Stock and awarded items. Also after the fall out with the CCCP in 1948 did the Soivet made awards then fall out of favor as well? Or was there little interest in "forcing themselves away" from the Soviets, that it mattered little where the awards came from? :blush: