News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

LW Jackets I - Summer jacket, the "Great White"

Probably the most difficult to find as none is known in collections (one original is supposed to come from a downed fight excavation).

Technical information is available on volume III of "Uniforms & Traditions of the Luftwaffe" (pages 264 & 265).

Please, post as many pics as you can, combined with your questions and remarks

First pic I will attach is from

Oberst

M?lders, Werner

* 18.03.1913 Gelsenkirchen

+ 22.11.1941 bei Breslau

Ritterkreuz am: 29.05.1940

als: Hauptmann

Funktion: Kommandeur III./JG 53

2. Eichenlaub am: 21.09.1940 als Major

Kommodore JG 51

2. Schwerter am: 22.06.1941 als Oberstleutnant

Kommodore JG 51

1. Brillanten am: 15.07.1941 als Oberstleutnant

Kommodore JG 51

• Replies 77
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oberst

Oesau, Walter

* 28.06.1913 Farnewinkel, Krs. Dithmarschen

+ 11.05.1944 bei St. Vith

Ritterkreuz am: 20.08.1940

als: Hauptmann

Funktion: Staffelkapit?n 7./JG 51

9. Eichenlaub am: 06.02.1941 als Hauptmann

Kommandeur III./JG 3

3. Schwerter am: 15.07.1941 als Hauptmann

Kommandeur III./JG 3

The fact that, as far as we know , none of these jackets remain is probably because they were very favorite, probably also after war, plus the fact that not every pilot had one etc ..

Lately these jackets can be found on Ebay, but ofcourse these are fake and show some issues ...

Although the white jacket was a typical Summer item I've seen some Winter pictures where the guys are wearing these.

Then I've seen pictures of the jacket having a fur collar !!

Now that's remarkable, no ?

Jos.

M?ncheberg, Joachim

* 31.12.1918 Friedrichshof, Krs. Dramburg

+ 23.03.1943 s?dwestlich Maknassy/Tunesien

Ritterkreuz am: 14.09.1940

als: Oberleutnant

Funktion: Staffelkapit?n 7./JG 26 "Schlageter"

12. Eichenlaub am: 07.05.1941 als Oberleutnant

Staffelkapit?n 7./JG 26 "Schlageter"

19. Schwerter am: 09.09.1942 als Hauptmann

stellv. Kommodore JG 51 "M?lder"

Thanks for sharing these amazing photos. I guess the photo with the pilot wearing the jacket with the ratty collar is an indicator of how much it was liked.

Are they really that fragile? What where they made of? It is hard to believe that they the are all gone!

Paul, these jackets were made of cotton, in fact just like the blue and tan Summer jackets except for the white having a sloppy collar ...

Blue and tan Summer jackets are rare as well, but some did survive and are in collections ..

Also,white is a bad color when you were doing this job.., think many turned out to grey after a while..

Noone we know has ever seen one ,except for the grounddug example..

Jos.

Hello all, Im very pleased to be a new member. The Great White, and a Holy Grail to many of us. Here are 4 photos of a GW that was removed from the excavation of a shot down fighter. It is missing the collar and sleeves. It clearly is white and shows some of the inner lining. What is not typical is the breast eagle, blue/gray. I havent as yet found a referance photo showing one as such. Also the wide area of cloth at the base of the front zipper is abit different. I have much higher pixel copies of these if anyone wants. Hard to believe one of these hasnt shown up in the world of collecting. While my memory is hazy I believe I at one time saw a color photo of Oseau showing the GW and it appeared the breast eagle was of a silver officer like thread. That photo was from the occasion of his 100th victory. I look forwards to more Luft flight clothing posts and input from all the Experten on this site. Best, Bill Bourque