News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

LW Jackets I - Summer jacket, the "Great White"

• Replies 77
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for showing these amazing photos. For something that was underground for so long, it looks to be in great shape! Were there remains inside of the jacket when it was found or was it being stored somewhere within the cockpit when the plane was shot down?

Thanks for showing these amazing photos. For something that was underground for so long, it looks to be in great shape! Were there remains inside of the jacket when it was found or was it being stored somewhere within the cockpit when the plane was shot down?

Now we have something to discuss (not to argue through a pissing contest)

Like Bill, I have those pics for some times now, have played with them (enlarge, compared, reverted the colors ....) and my opinion is that I am far from thinking that this relic is a GW.

I may be wrong and apology in advance but looking at the photos can we say for sure that this jacket was white from the begining and not a "more regular" blue one which has lost its original color

Discussion opened :ninja:

While I was looking if I could find a pic of a GW with blue NCO eagle the same thought crossed my mind...

Might be a bit too early perhaps to state that all GW's we have seen have the original applied white eagle or no eagle, plus I've seen a few examples with a hand-applied officer's eagle sofar.

I've never seen a GW with a original applied blue NCO eagle sofar, so I can share your thoughts that this might be a blue jacket which lost all its color through some kind of process...

Jos.

Francois alerted me to this excellent thread. Studying the pics of the GW Bill Bourque posted, I noted some differences in construction between that jacket, and the ones shown in photographs my mentor in this field kindly shared with me.

Firstly, all of these pics seem to confirm Jos?assesment that the eagle on original GW?s comes with a hite backing. Secondly, it strikes me that whilst the jacket shown in hte pics posted by Bill has the usual cotton reinforced front zipper and woolen waistband also found on the blue summer LW jacket, the white jackets in the pics I will show seem to have a solid woolen waistband, and therefore seem to be of the pullover type.

Hope this is of some use,

Regards,

Sandro

Pics # 8 and 9, showing details of the jacket?s construction. All of the pics I have posted appear to show (1) white backed eagles; (2) solid waistbands and (3) the presence of a mappocket on the left upper breast. An exception to (2) appears to be the jacket of Werner M?lders shown in Francois second post: but also in that pic, the zipper (if it runs to the bottom of the jacket) seems to lack the cotton reinforcements present on the jacket shown in Bill?s pics.

I?ll be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Regards,

Sandro

Hello, here is photo of Walter Oesau on the occasion of his 100th victory party. Im reasonably certain I have seen an up close photo of him that was taken in color on this occasion. Somewhere, some book has that color picture. Ive looked in Der Adler magazines from around that time and been unsuccessful. It has a pretty good close up of the breast eagle and as I mentioned before the eagle thread appeared very silvery. Or it just maybe poor memory on my part. Bill