News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iraqi Swords

Sal

Hi all....while I am not a collector of swords and edged weapons, I was offered a grouping here in Baghdad that contains 2 swords. both are well made and solidly constructed. I hae no idea when they were made. Both are marked with German maker marks. I did t write the names. One is marked with the Iraqi National Republic eagle and some script. The other is marked with a triangle atop an arab symbol....not sure what it is or what letter it is.

I am curious what, if any, value Iraqi swords would have in the parket and what the potential value is. They are part of larger group but the seller says he wants 1000 bucks for each....any thoughts are appreciated....I am lost in this realm of collecting but if I can get a legit price, I will make an offer to him.

Thanks for any help

Tony

• Replies 72
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would guess waaaay overpriced? The dream price of a local seller that has no idea of objective market value?

I have found that when I travel to places sellers often make an insane price because they have 1) No real idea of value and 2) they think you are made of money.

In Cambodia and Laos the local medals were almost twice the price of what they cost in Europe. Turkish medals in Istanbul can be way more expensive than the same medals in Germany. A south African antique dealer had SA badges for 3 or 4 times more than I can buy them on Ebay etc. etc.

Thanks Chris.....good points, and it is clearly in full swing here. I can find the same Iraqi medals on ebay for 1/2 what one dealer here has them....but go to the next booth and he sells the same for 10 bucks a pop and they are real as well.....

This guy had some amazing items.....but since I am ignorant in the sword world, I couldn't even venture a swag at what the basic value of a sword would be...with no provenance other than the markings.

My guess was waaaay out of wack on the proce as well. I would guess 200-400 at the high end just for the fact it is linked to the regime and quasi current events

We'll see.....

1- When dealing with things where there is no established market and less of any established market value, all bets are off. Neither sellers nor buyers have any clue.

2- Any item, of course, is "worth" only what a given fool is willing to pay for it on a specific day.

3- ECON 101: Supply and demand.

4- When merchants sell to members of an occupying army, prices will go to the maximum possible.

1- When dealing with things where there is no established market and less of any established market value, all bets are off. Neither sellers nor buyers have any clue.

2- Any item, of course, is "worth" only what a given fool is willing to pay for it on a specific day.

3- ECON 101: Supply and demand.

4- When merchants sell to members of an occupying army, prices will go to the maximum possible.

Right on Ed. That's exactly what it is right now. Ironically, this same guy with the Iraqi group (including the swords) is also the same guy that has all the medals for cheap.....funny thing is that they are printing your information off your site and using it to show prospective buyers of the medals what they are and what they were awarded for.....so you are also a known expert in Iraq too....well done

Tony

Are they military or traditional swords? I would love to see some photos.

I have never seen such items for sale. I say that if the items speak to you and you can afford them, get them. Chances are, you will not see similar pieces in the near future.

We need to see photos. You may have a big hit there, as Sadaam awarded "swords of victory' to officers who led successful attacks and defense operations in the Iran war and the Kuwait invasion. the latter were made by Wilkinson and delivered 5 days before the invasion.

We need to see photos. You may have a big hit there, as Sadaam awarded "swords of victory' to officers who led successful attacks and defense operations in the Iran war and the Kuwait invasion. the latter were made by Wilkinson and delivered 5 days before the invasion.

No luck....the military will not let us take any pictures in the bazaar....neither will the vendor. He is afraid of getting in trouble. I will try to find like swords and post them as an example. He did tell a buddy of mine he would sell the 2 for 500 bucks.....pics as soon as I find something

Sorry for the delay

Edited by Sal

OK....no pics again. I did find out one of them sold. The sword wih the Iraqi National Emblem (eagle) sold.....he said a COL gave him a grand for it.....I doubt it. He was going to take 550 for both from my friend the other day.

Anwyay, Below are 2 links from the internet showing the type I believe it is....I lean more toward the Model 1897 Infantry sword than the Regimental model. The handle is not black....but looks like whatever wood was used to make it. The blade is in excellent shape and the engravins are clean and crisp. The guard is good as well. Overall it shows some wear and age but is in good shape. certainly not a brand new sword or refurbished either. The sheath is in good condition as well. It is marked Solingen but I forgot already the maker.

http://www.wkc-solingen.de/newshop/ukrifle...entdetaill.html

http://www.wkc-solingen.de/newshop/infantrysword.html

The dealer here offered to go down to 800 bucks....just for me..... :jumping:

On the blade where you would see the cypher of the monarch is an unattested symbls purpotedly used to identfy the Iraqi Army in general. I have attached the symbol as well. This symbol is also on the cuff/guard as well. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Tony

• 3 months later...

OK....no pics again. I did find out one of them sold. The sword wih the Iraqi National Emblem (eagle) sold.....he said a COL gave him a grand for it.....I doubt it. He was going to take 550 for both from my friend the other day.

Anwyay, Below are 2 links from the internet showing the type I believe it is....I lean more toward the Model 1897 Infantry sword than the Regimental model. The handle is not black....but looks like whatever wood was used to make it. The blade is in excellent shape and the engravins are clean and crisp. The guard is good as well. Overall it shows some wear and age but is in good shape. certainly not a brand new sword or refurbished either. The sheath is in good condition as well. It is marked Solingen but I forgot already the maker.

http://www.wkc-solingen.de/newshop/ukrifle...entdetaill.html

http://www.wkc-solingen.de/newshop/infantrysword.html

The dealer here offered to go down to 800 bucks....just for me..... :jumping:

On the blade where you would see the cypher of the monarch is an unattested symbls purpotedly used to identfy the Iraqi Army in general. I have attached the symbol as well. This symbol is also on the cuff/guard as well. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Tony

Tony

You should have bought them for that price, they had one on ebay last month for 1,500.00. It was in very nice condition. I would pay a $1,000.00 for one. The one that I seen sale in FOB Liberty had the leather straps with it. That was back in 2005, while i was in Baghdad, iraq for my second tour.

Be safe my brother, need some mini medals JK

God Bless

SSG Luna, Lorenzo

Here is an Iraqi Sword you should see very Rare PAO Sword:

This is in my brothers collection of Iraqi Militaria that he would never part with, If you have any information post here we would like to learn more about it.

Thank you

God Bless

SSG Luna, Lorenzo

Edited by IMHF

Here is another sword that all Iraqi ODM Militaria collectors should have.

Iraq Kingdom era King Faisal's Sword/Kingdom of Iraq.

Thank you

God Bless

SSG Luna, Lorenzo

Lornezo,

Can you please trim down the size of the photos a bit? It makes browsing a little easier. :cheers:

Your swords are totally amazing. How did you get all of this back?

Paul

These are not my swords, they are my brother's. They are very beautiful and rare that he will not sale them to me. They are a part of his Large collection of Iraqi Militaria. I will trim down the photos before I post them, my camera is new and I am learning more about the settings.

Thank you

God Bless

SSG Luna, Lorenzo