News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Jessica Lynch

Now that the whole story as been revealed a spin, surely she still isn`t considered a hero in the US? Why a 2004 Silver Eagle...WHY? I see on Ebay that there is also numerous 2003 ones, with her autograph on.

Total scam, I think. Especially as they are grossly over priced!!!

Didn`t she get a Bronze Star was well? I assume it was just a good girl one as apposed to with `V` for valor? Anyone know?

Edited by mariner

Hero...? Not by me.

She did her duty and survived an ambush. She is a war veteran and should be respected for that, but to win a Bronze star for that is totally out of line. It should be revoked.

Complete hype by the gelded US media and their military masters.

However, since everyone else seems to get Bronze Stars if they heard shots had been fired in anger . . . .

Ratio of Bronze Stars for valor to deaths by branch:

Army 0.7-to-1

Marines 0.8-to-1

Navy 7-to-1  

Air Force 4.5-to-1

Ratio of Bronze Stars for merit to deaths by branch:

Army 21-to-1   

Marines 1.8-to-1

Navy 13-to-1

Air Force 56-to-1

See: http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/181337.html

Edited by Ed_Haynes

I personally know five people in the Coast Guard who have received the Bronze Star for Merit. I wonder how many are out there that I do not know of? Perhaps dozens and dozens!!

I am surprised that we(Coast Guard) is not in the stats somewhere. Us Coasties are always left out... :rolleyes:

Isn't a Bronze Star awarded along side a Purple Heart nowadays? If so PFC Lynch didn't receive anything out of the ordinary.

What this really means is that the coin grading services are scrapping bottom to try to complete with one another.

Isn't a Bronze Star awarded along side a Purple Heart nowadays?

I dont think so. I was around when we lost our one member to enemy fire. A shipmate was wounded and received the Purple Heart. I did not see him get a Bronze star though. I have seen him since and he was not wearing the BS ribbon either.

Paul

I dont think so. I was around when we lost our one member to enemy fire. A shipmate was wounded and received the Purple Heart. I did not see him get a Bronze star though. I have seen him since and he was not wearing the BS ribbon either.

Paul

I must admit, I find the whole Bronze Star thing very confusing. I know of two guys who for sure got Bronze Stars along with their Purple Hearts, granted they were both killed in the process, so I`m not passing any comments on that. I just find the whole criteria for this award very hazy to say the least. Re Lynch`s award, I assume she wasn`t awarded it with `V` for valour? The Bronze Star certainly gets issued out en mass, but then again the same can be said of the ARCOM award. I believe that Lynch was also awarded the POW medal, again was she technically a POW, or just a wounded solider, they took into their care. Whatever the score, it all came out in the wash in the end didn`t it.

Getting back on topic, I feel these coins are total rubbish, and I certianly wouldn`t pay over the going rate for a eagle for one!!!

Getting back on topic, I feel these coins are total rubbish, and I certianly wouldn`t pay over the going rate for a eagle for one!!!

Oh, yeah, this was about some commercial commemorative collector's coin concoction . . . .

I forgot.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Oh, yeah, this was about some commercial commemorative collector's coin concoction . . . .

I forgot.

To be fair, I think I`m right in thinking that the proceeds from these coins went to the Jessica Lynch Foundation, but I maybe way off? :speechless1:

:off topic: I think the fact that her awards have now clearly been given for circumstances & deeds, that are in fact flawed, they mean nothing, and certainly devalue ones genuinely earned. I wonder has she ever worn them in public since? Is she in fact still serving?

C`mon guys, she did not create the hype. She was more or less a victim of it. To revoke it would mean wrong doing on her part. She may not be sgt. Rock but I am sure there are many medals out there that were awarded because of hype.

Remember way back when? The 3-4 GIs that were captured in the Balkans? They made a wrong turn, were captured..... and got medals? Not their fault either...

C`mon guys, she did not create the hype. She was more or less a victim of it. To revoke it would mean wrong doing on her part. She may not be sgt. Rock but I am sure there are many medals out there that were awarded because of hype.

Remember way back when? The 3-4 GIs that were captured in the Balkans? They made a wrong turn, were captured..... and got medals? Not their fault either...

True, Chris. But I thought your second scenario was in the movie "Wag the Dog"?

:P

Yeah-during the Kosovo thing. They ended up with about 6 awards each-I believe including purple hearts and POW medals.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9905/08/pows.return.01/

Edited by Ulsterman

Just a pawn......

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,956255,00.html

I also found this....

Jessica Lynch signed a few thousand different coins ranging from State Quarters, Silver Eagles, Commemoratives and the Westward Journey Nickels. Only 52 sets of those nickel sets exist.

The 2003 Jessica Lynch signed Silver Eagles are genuine and approximately 5,000 to 10,000, & 600 2004 Jessica Lynch Silver Eagles.

So she sat round, signing 10,000 pieces of paper.....nice they really spoiled her with that task hey!!!!

& it gets worse....

Item number: 250143799683, This it really takes the biscuit!!!!

:off topic: OH Boy!!!Don't bring that one up Chris!! I was fairly good friends with Sgt. Stone and I know the REAL deal on that story :banger::banger::banger: .

Eric

Yeah-during the Kosovo thing. They ended up with about 6 awards each-I believe including purple hearts and POW medals.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9905/08/pows.return.01/

Yeah, after it was over and the U.S. soldiers returned from their "ordeal" one appeared with his German girlfriend on a German T.V. show, he recounted his adventures, I was in a friends house in Bavaria at the time and after listning to his story "Oma" sniffed and said "what he endured was a holiday compared to what our boys captured at Stalingrad had to endure!!!"

Sort of put things into perspective!

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Well I really hate to get off topic here :rolleyes::rolleyes: but it had nothing to to do with taking a wrong turn... I'll just say that war is hell when your looking for cell phone reception

Eric

Eric, what did Sgt Stone have to say?

Well I really hate to get off topic here :rolleyes::rolleyes: but it had nothing to to do with taking a wrong turn... I'll just say that war is hell when your looking for cell phone reception

Eric

:cheers: Eric, I had to think about this one for a minute, then the penny drop!!! Yes, I can well believe this type of incident happening!!!! :cheers: Gordon.

I personally know five people in the Coast Guard who have received the Bronze Star for Merit. I wonder how many are out there that I do not know of? Perhaps dozens and dozens!!

I am surprised that we(Coast Guard) is not in the stats somewhere. Us Coasties are always left out... :rolleyes:

Paul, I would think that there aren't quite that many Coasties leading the charge with the BSM. Most are printed up in the Reservist...and I think that I can acurately count six awards of the BSM - the three cutter COs involved in the intial phase of OIF, one USCG officer that served as a linguist ( for about three months ), and the two guys from the LEDET/TACLET ( I thought that both were awarded the BSM, but could be wrong ). I serve for a time in G-CI, Int'l Affairs and CDR Smith had the BSM and Combat Action Ribbon that he earned as one of the aforementioned cutter COs. The entire crews of each cutter were awarded the CAR - as an aside and a bit off topic.

Paul, I would think that there aren't quite that many Coasties leading the charge with the BSM. Most are printed up in the Reservist...and I think that I can acurately count six awards of the BSM - the three cutter COs involved in the intial phase of OIF, one USCG officer that served as a linguist ( for about three months ), and the two guys from the LEDET/TACLET ( I thought that both were awarded the BSM, but could be wrong ). I serve for a time in G-CI, Int'l Affairs and CDR Smith had the BSM and Combat Action Ribbon that he earned as one of the aforementioned cutter COs. The entire crews of each cutter were awarded the CAR - as an aside and a bit off topic.

Yep.

I remember the three skippers getting theirs. I also know of a certain OSC who was awarded one, for Merit, and one other... :banger: I remember the cutters getting the CAR. I cannot believe that it has already been over three years now.

:cheers: Eric, I had to think about this one for a minute, then the penny drop!!! Yes, I can well believe this type of incident happening!!!! :cheers: Gordon.

What? Um, er sorry not sure what you were saying, I am concentrating on the attached image! :jumping::cheers:

Regards;

Johnsy