News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

House Order of Hohenzollern - info needed

Siegfried Krick was Kommandant of Stalag Trier at the time of his death.

Ernst Stamm was Leiter WMA Köln 2. He was an E-Offizier - Hauptmann (E) with an RDA of 1.1.34 and promoted to Major on 1.1.40. He was born on 8.7.1892 in Elberfeld and died in Reservelazarett Köln-Hohenlind. You can add the WHDA4 to his awards.

Georg Sperlich was born on 27.4.1877 in Beuthen in Oberschlesien. He commanded Landesschützenbataillon 472 Münster.

Wilhelm Rünz was born on 28.1.1883 in Kettig, Coblenz. His promotion to Dr.phil. was on 23.11.1910 from the University of Bonn and he was an Oberlehrer in Dülken. His Einjährig-Freiwilliger year was 1.10.1905-30.9.1906 in the Bavarian 1. Infanterie-Regiment (he was a student at the University of Munich at the time). He was promoted to Lt.d.L.-Inf. I (Rheydt) in RIR 68 on 24.12.1914.

Oskar Schulz was a Hauptmann in IR 16. He was born on 15.9.1880 in Ellrich, Grafschaft Hohenstein.

Ernst Krüger was an OLt.d.R. (II Cöln) in JB 5, promoted to Hptm.d.R. on 5.2.15 while with Luftschiffer-Ersatz-Abteilung Nr. 3. His HOH3X came with Schlachtstaffel-Gruppe A. He also had the LD2.

Wilhelm Lindau was born in Wiesbaden. Although the Todesanzeige says "5mal verwundet", he only appears in 2 Verlustlisten. His SLK was awarded on 21.2.1917. I have no idea about the WF3bX. He does not appear in the Personal-Nachrichten in the Württemberg Militär-Verordnungsblatt, but I don't know how many awards to Prussians were not recorded there.

Alexander Bergmann also had the LD2 and ÖM3K and probably the Treudienst-Ehrenzeichen. He died on 16.12.1965 in Frechen, Landkreis Köln. He has a Wikipedia entry: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Bergmann_(Jurist)

Hi Webr55

The info regarding Hptm dR Ernst Krüger is extra ordinary interesting, at least for me :)

I have hunted his date and place of birth for more then 15 Years. I was able to follow his life through the German address books which are available on the net. I was able to follow him from circa 1910 until 1940, mostly he was living in Cöln. I contacted the historische archive in Cöln but they could not find him, so maybe he was actually born in another place ?. 

Apparently he went over the Airfield from LEA 3 to FEA 7 to join the Fliegertruppe for for observer education late spring 1915 (they shared the same airfield). After education he took command of FFA 70 in Aug 1915. Later in 1915 he took over KG 5/27 and stayed there until the autumn of 1916. He then joined FEA 5 Hannover, first as Kp leader (dont knew which Kp) then as commander (Kommendeur) from circa March 1917. Late 1917 he became commander of FSS Asch

Schlachtstaffelgruppe A was not an official unit, only those with number was. So during his time as leader he apparently did belong to an AFP or Kofl stab.

It existed a third high ranked Hptm dR aD Ernst Krueger within the Air Force. Born 29.08.1883 Berlin. He was leader of at least two Aviation units. Is he listed among those who received the Hohx ?

Gunnar

Ernst Krüger was born on 8.3.1877 and died on 5.8.1940. I too have not found a birthplace. His Kontrollbezirk when he was commissioned in 1902 was IV Berlin, and he was in Cottbus in 1907/08 and Elberfeld in 1910/11.

The only other known Ernst Krüger/Krueger with the HOH3X is the later Luftwaffe general. The only other unknown-first-name Krügers/Kruegers with the HOH3X are Leutnants der Reserve.

Thanks Dave,

For me it is little strange if not the "Berliner" Ernst Krueger received the HOHX3X as his military flying service is much more impressive then the other two, but the award system is not always logic. Anyway his obituary might give further info as his BAMA file only contains WW2 info. He was already before the War an well known pilot.

Gunnar

Hi webr55,

The BAMA file for Peter Ingenhoven born 16.12.1894 Düsseldorf gives the following awards for him during WW1.

EKII 20.09.1915,FzAbz 22.05.1917,EKI 22.09.1917,VwAbz 01.08.1918,Hohx 16.08.1918

His only front-line flying unit was FA 33, 29.03.1917 - Ende

Gunnar

On 19/09/2021 at 14:26, webr55 said:

Walther Schmandt died 1935. (We also had a Lt Ludwig Schmandt before.)

schmandt1.jpg

Not sure if this is a HHOX, cannot find him in the list: Major aD Otto von La Valette St. George from UR 5, died in 1936:

lavalette.jpg

What is the St. Georgskreuz m.d. stern? Is it papal?

Otto Bausch received the HOH3X on 12.10.1918 as Adjutant of Artillerie-Kommandeur 14. 14.11.1903 Lt.d.R. des FAR 7, 18.12.1912 OLt.d.R. des FAR 7, 3.1.1915 Hptm.d.R., z.Zt. beim Stabe der 14. Feldartillerie-Brigade. He is listed in the 1914 rank list as an OLt.d.L. Transfers from the Reserve to the Landwehr are not gazetted in the MWB. Transfers back to the Reserve usually are, but his does not appear to have been gazetted. Add the LD2.

Arthur Schoeller was born on 21.4.1890 in Kirchseifen, Schleiden and died on 19.5.1932 in Berlin-Schöneberg. He appears to have been the Lt. in IR 117 (22.8.1908 Lt., 25.2.1915 OLt., 27.1.1918 Hptm.). He received the EH3bX as a Lt. in FFA 4. As an IR 117 officer, he likely also received the HT. Perhaps Gunnar will have more information/confirmation.

Friedrich Wilhelm Emil Alexander Kisker was born on 18.11.1886 in Lippstadt and died on 20.10.1925.

Peter Kuhler was born on 31.10.1888 in Ölmühle, Remscheid. He was promoted to Lt.d.R. (Lennep) in IR 16 on 29.12.1914 and was wounded 4 times. He left Germany for Argentina in 1922.

Ernst Rudolph Heinrich Theodor Lange, *5.1.1880 in Königsberg i.Pr., †11.2.1942 im Reserve-Lazarett Wernigerode. His Truppenteil was Kommandeur des rückw. Armeegebiets 559/Abt. IV, and he was transferred to Kraftf.Ers.Abt. 46 Deggendorf on 24.1.1942. I'm not sure about WW1; I think he's the Ernst Lange who was a Hptm.v.d.A. with the Militärmission in the Ottoman Empire, and later with AOK 9, promoted to Major on 15.2.1918.

Franz van Endert was born on 5.10.1869 in Neuß. He was from the Reserve of DR 7.

Hi Dave,

I basically have the same info as you regarding Arthur Schoeller. In one source I have seen his birthplace given as Hellenthal, Schleiden which is nearby the given by you. I have not found any birth certificate for him but both his heirat certificate and death certificate gives Kirschseiffen, Schleiden which probably is correct place. In these two certificates his name is given as Artur Schöller, and he also himself wright his name so. ? But I believe Arthur Schoeller is his correct birth name.

He was an original member and observer in FFA 4 which was formed out of FB 4/1 Straßburg at BOW, but I dont have notes on his pre-War service. He later went over to fly Giant a/c in RFA 501 before returning to an home-land unit in Aug 1918.

Gunnar