News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear Collectors Friends,

I've find this badge in an veteran Italian WW2 Cavalry officer's home.

This officer , fought in Russian Campaign.

I have find in this home others important italian items.

The "russian badge ? " have an engraved number ( 2449 ) , I'm sorry but collect only italian items and not have notices of foreign items.

Forgive me for my poor english and I hope to obtain notices of this badge.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Rome.

Militalian

Russian badge

Reverse Russian Badge

Order of Bogdan Khmelnitsky.

Dear Militalian,

it's the 3rd class of the SOVIET order - a rather rare, important, high-ranking and expensive item (if it is genuine & authentic):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Bogdan_Khmelnitsky

http://www.medals.org.uk/russia/ussr/ussr011.htm

With the engraved serial number, you can have the order researched and find the (old) owner of that award + a lot of datas about his career and biography. Have a look at that section of GMIC: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showforum=106

Did the Italian cavalry officer fight on the Soviet side of the Eastern Front - or on the Nazi side (and stole that order from an Red Army soldier) :unsure: ?

Best regards :beer:

Christian

BTW: Do you have better scans of the order, to make out the type (there are 2 differnt types) :unsure: ?

Edited by Christian Zulus

(and stole that order from an Red Army soldier) unsure.gif ?

Dear Christian,

And without any evidence to prove otherwise, such a statement as above is meaningless,

I think it is well documented fact, that soldiers on all sides, in all conflicts, have managed to appropriate

each others medals, badges and insignias!! :shame:

So let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Dear Kevin,

I guess, there is a bit of misunderstanding from your side :rolleyes: .

The GMIC-member from Italiy told to us, that he knows nothing about Soviet Awards and I simply told him 2 possibilities to get Soviet Awards during the GPW at the Eastern Front - so, what's wrong :speechless: .

Christian

Dear Christian,

And without any evidence to prove otherwise, such a statement as above is meaningless,

I think it is well documented fact, that soldiers on all sides, in all conflicts, have managed to appropriate

each others medals, badges and insignias!! :shame:

So let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Dear Kevin,

I guess, there is a bit of misunderstanding from your side :rolleyes: .

The GMIC-member from Italiy told to us, that he knows nothing about Soviet Awards and I simply told him 2 possibilities to get Soviet Awards during the GPW at the Eastern Front - so, what's wrong :speechless: .

Christian

Dear Christian, :cheers:

:off topic:

sorry if you misunderstand what I was referring too in my post, the question you asked him was;

"Did the Italian cavalry officer fight on the Soviet side of the Eastern Front - or on the Nazi side (and stole that order from an Red Army soldier) unsure.gif ?

*My underline of your words.

Surely, after all these years, it does not matter how it was acquired, as I said in my previous post "I think it is well documented fact, that soldiers on all sides, in all conflicts, have managed to appropriate each others medals, badges and insignias!! I can not recall any one on any of the websites and forums ever bring the word "stole" into play.

The way you have phrased the question gives the indication only a Germans Italian, could do such a thing, and we all know that soldiers acquire "War Booty" regardless of what nation they are from.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Dear Kevin,

I only wanted to tell to GMIC-member "militalia", who told to us, that he has no knowledge about Soviet awards, that it might be also possible, that the Italian cavalry officer might have got the order from an dead or captured Red Army soldier.

The fact is, that thousends of Italian officers fought in the rows of Nazi-Germany against the Soviet Union - just remember Stalingrad 1942/43 :jumping: .

All nations in WW II collected foreign awards - no doubt about that fact :D .

Coming back to our Italian GMIC-member's question:

According to the serial number, the Bogdan Khmelnitsky 3rd class should be a type 1 version, with 3 parts of the order.

Concerning the today's market value of a Bogdan Khmelnitsky 3rd class, type 1, it should be well above EUR 3.000,-, I guess. If the Italian cavalry officer got that order for himself, for fighting against the Nazis, the value of the order will be higher - no doubt, if the research will proof that fact.

Christian

Dear Christian, :cheers:

:off topic:

sorry if you misunderstand what I was referring too in my post, the question you asked him was;

*My underline of your words.

Surely, after all these years, it does not matter how it was acquired, as I said in my previous post "I think it is well documented fact, that soldiers on all sides, in all conflicts, have managed to appropriate each others medals, badges and insignias!! I can not recall any one on any of the websites and forums ever bring the word "stole" into play.

The way you have phrased the question gives the indication only a Germans could do such a thing, and we all know that soldiers acquire "War Booty" regardless of what nation they are from.

Sorry Christian :cheers: I must apologize, here I used the word "German" by mistake for Italian, I will correct it in my posts,

my point is I do not see why you needed to raise the concern that the item was "stolen" as there are a few possibilities to how

an Italian / German, etc.. etc.. could obtain it,

A, taken from a Russian Soldier,

B,found amongst abandoned equipment,

C,Found in a enemy position,

D,Given to him by a German or Russian.

Dear Kevin,

many thanks for your understanding and for giving further explainations :cheers: .

Let's wait for our Italian GMIC-member, what he tells us about the history of the order and maybe he will provide better scans :D .

It might be a very intersting story ... :love:

Christian

BTW: I guess, that there are not so many Italian officers, who got a Bogdan Khmelnitsky 3rd class :jumping: .

Sorry Christian :cheers: I must apologize, here I used the word "German" by mistake for Italian, I will correct it in my posts,

my point is I do not see why you needed to raise the concern that the item was "stolen" as there are a few possibilities to how

an Italian / German, etc.. etc.. could obtain it,

A, taken from a Russian Soldier,

B,found amongst abandoned equipment,

C,Found in a enemy position,

D,Given to him by a German or Russian.

Guest Rick Research

:banger:

Somebody kindly tell the poor fellow whether the Order is REAL or not. If it is real, it can be researched and a full archival research will reveal what happened to the Soviet recipient. And THAT will resolve extraneous issues.

The Soviet officer's personnel file will reveal whether he was captured, killed in action, or was reported missing.

:banger:

Somebody kindly tell the poor fellow whether the Order is REAL or not. If it is real, it can be researched and a full archival research will reveal what happened to the Soviet recipient. And THAT will resolve extraneous issues.

The Soviet officer's personnel file will reveal whether he was captured, killed in action, or was reported missing.

This would be the first instance I have heard of an Italian bringing back a Soviet War prize! :jumping::jumping:

Dear Collector Friends ,

the item come from an italian "Savoia " Cavalry Regiment officer's home .

I've find also other items , please see the links .

Thanks.

Militalian

Detail badge

Large badge scan

Russ. sabre

Sabre detail

Dagger detail

If you like we are other russian blades , Forgive me for my poor english .

Edited by militalian

Hello Friends,

the total weight is 31/32 grams .

Do you want see other russian sabres scans ?

Take care and greetings from Rome.

Militalian

Dear Militalian,

the weight of your order is perfect :D .

Igor offers now s/n. 4790 for USD 5.700,- : http://www.collectrussia.com/DISPITEM.HTM?ITEM=17931

Christian