News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Should the Mongolia forum be split?

Bob

Research availability will be (or: already is) a great moment in the area of Mongolian phaleristics. The downside will unfortunately probably be that the prices of certain items will presumably skyrocket and some of us here on GMIC will inevitably have to move to the sidelines with respect to further expanding our collection :unsure:

I for one am happy with the items that I now have in my collection and if I had to choose betwee more items vs. only current items but then with research becoming a possibility soon I'd certainly choose the latter.

2007 may have generally been a "slow" year in our area of collecting compared to the literally daily ground breaking exploration done on GMIC in late 2005+2006... but I suspect 2008 will become perhaps THE year for Mongolia collecting - best to continue to keep checking up on this forum on a regular basis :cheers:

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Heeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyyy!!!!

What's going on? Whence originates this research? What's with the new "blue" Mystery Tome, entirely (strangled scream of despair) in Mongolian?

YESSSSS!!!

Who are these people, who are these people? Finding out and conjoining forces . . . .

That thing you see looming on the horizon . . . is . . . a . . . revolution?

Tip of the metaphorical iceberg, mate, tip of the iceberg! Hold on . . . tight . . . .

On the forum, not really.

I think that the researcher who will be supplying the research will include (English, Russian, or German) translations as a matter of course, at least from Cyrillic (findig someone with good enough bichig these days isn't easy. but it is hoped that these sources will be included as well).

It is unlikely that we'll see full (Soviet-style) recommendatiosn and service files, though, at least not soon.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 2 weeks later...

From practical stand - when the research becomes available - who's going to translate the paperwork?

Do we have have ANYONE on this forum who knows Mongolian?

William

Actually, I can speak, read and write in Mongolian, because I am Mongolian. But frankly speaking I don't have time to translate all 300+ pages of the book. It is possible to make translation here in Mongolia (cost is 7-10$ per page) but who will pay...

Once I get my copy of the book and review it, I'd be happy to pitch in for translation of certain sections. Probably not translation of all hero biographies at once but one by one translating certain COMPLETE sections (e.g. Title of merit presumably a short section) should help to get for certain awards an as comprehensive as possible English set of information.

Some questions of course remain: who organized this book? how did the person get the information? is this all the information there is on these awards or is more "hidden" in the "vaults"?

So many questions, so few answers :speechless:

I guess it is. To some extent I'm happy about it though - the sense of discovery (and I'm not referring to finding a new sub-type of a sub-variation of essentially the same award) is still very much alive and I think it's nice to be part of a relatively small community of true enthusiasts.

I'm just amazed that there aren't more people active in this forum - judging from items sold by key dealers there must be other MAJOR collectors out there with very, very interesting things to share. We could all learn so much more with a few more individuals participating.

It is my understanding that a lot gets sold to Russia, some to collectors with limited English, some to non-collectors (= investors). Also, even we on this sub-forum, seem to have lost a number of our 'regulars'.

I do know that things in Ulanbaatar are dry dry DRY (and I am not speaking of the winter).

Hi all!

I am one of the collectors who hunted for Mongolian Items, when the "flood" hit us a couple of years ago! Ohh thoose where the days :cheers: .

Suddenly everything was there to buy, just the wallet kept me away from buying.And then ?

There was nothing, almost as quick as it started is stopped.I have to admit that I started collect Bulgarian instead :blush: But I kept all my Mongolian of course and waited for something to happen. And now it seems like the time has come? Is there a book about numbered awards? :jumping: In Mongolian :speechless1:

What a christmas gift!

Christer

But I kept all my Mongolian of course and waited for something to happen.

Christer

Hi Christer, have you posted your (especially documented if any) stuff already? The more the merrier and more patterns to identify :cheers:

Hi Christer, have you posted your (especially documented if any) stuff already? The more the merrier and more patterns to identify :cheers:

Hi Bob, I will post the documents I have when I get home later today!

Always a pleasure to help with the growing database

Christer