News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Awhile back I posted this white top officer visor. The general consensus was that it was not good, mainly based on the lack of a waffle pattern top. I took it apart, and I have to say, I personally don't know. I do know where it's been for at least the last 30 years, and the construction is complex for a 1970's fake. The top has a flap into which a corresponding tongue on the main body fits. It is then fixed with a single small snap. I didn't take it apart the first time I posted it here, so I would appreciate a reevaluation now. If it's not real, what exactly is it? Has anyone seen this construction before?

Thanks!

Ian

wht4.jpg

wht6.jpg

wht7.jpg

v1.jpg

v3.jpg

v2.jpg

v4.jpg

v5.jpg

v6.jpg

Edited by juvatwad

I do not see anything wrong with the basic cap at all. As for the eagle (the photos from the other link are not showing up on my computer), I could not tell without actually holding it in person. In the photos here, nothing says "automatically bad".

Regarding the top, I am not aware of any regulation saying that it HAD to be waffle pattern (and even if there was, that wouldn't be the end of the story). If it is a thick weave cotton (which in the photos it seems to be), then what is wrong with it?

I think officer's visors with the waffle pattern top are the type seen in period photos. Theoretically it would be easy to take an enlisted top (which this resembles) and put it on an officer body, but this top and body appear to me to have been constructed as a unit. The cloth pocket on the top and the corresponding tongue on the body are a first for me, although I haven't handled many white visors at all.

Based only on what I have seen over the years in the collections of reputable collectors, I truly believe that there are so many variations in construction of clothing items that we will never see them all. It can be a dangerous thing to stray from the path of "textbook", and I would not recommend it as regular practice, but I do believe that many good items are passed by when a collector is unwilling to do so.

P.S. In my collection, my officer and my general white tops both have waffle pattern tops, and my enlisted has plain cotton, yet I stand by what I said here.

Edited by Harrier

Hi,

I have not been collecting visor caps for few year ago but I don't see something really wrong. The top is not what we expect for an officer cap, but it looks more to an NCO's cap top. It seems to match to the cap , at least on the picture.

I would say it is OK. Could it be an officer candidate cap ?

jacques

I think Jacques raises an interesting point, but an officer candidate would not (I don't believe) be entitled to the silver piping. I'm pretty convinced it is a real officer cap.

Here is an army officer canidate in the ranf of Oberfeldwebel with silver cord on the visor.

Hardy

Soldat_1.jpg

I'm sorry if I may not have been clear. An officer candidate would certainly be entitled to the silver cap cord. I do not believe that the candidate would be entitled to the silver PIPING on the capband.

I misunderstood

Hardy