News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I got this photo recently on eBay.de. It shows an police man from "L?bau (Sa.)", ergo from Saxony. I'd say he wears besides EK I and EK II only royal Saxon awards in a tuxedo style - on his uniform. :speechless:

The awards are:

Preu?en, Eisernes Kreuz 1914 I. Klasse;

Preu?en, Eisernes Kreuz 1914 II. Klasse;

Sachsen, Friedrich August-Medaille;

Sachsen, Albrechtsorden, Ritterkreuz II. Klasse mit Schwertern;

Sachsen, Verdienstorden, Ritterkreuz II. Klasse mit Schwertern;

Sachsen, Silberne Milit?r-St. Heinrichs-Medaille;

Sachsen, Milit?r-St. Heinrichsorden, Ritterkreuz.

I guess this an rather special combination though Saxons are used to wear several more bravery awards than soldiers from other states. I cannot remember ever to have seen a Badener with more than three Baden bravery awards, so five from his own state may be the most to get in one war - and only(?) possible in Saxony. If someone gave me a nice portrait from Baden he might get this one, I actually don't collect Saxony but just had to take it ...

:rolleyes:

PS: a friend of mine claimed the last decoration rather to be a Romanian crown order, but from the ribbon and the order - it is the first award as it's from right to left - it is a MSH, is'n it? I'm actually sure ...

Edited by saschaw

I got this photo recently on eBay.de. It shows an police man from "L?bau (Sa.)", ergo from Saxony. I'd say he wears besides EK I and EK II only royal Saxon awards in a tuxedo style - on his uniform. :speechless:

The awards are:

Preu?en, Eisernes Kreuz 1914 I. Klasse;

Preu?en, Eisernes Kreuz 1914 II. Klasse;

Sachsen, Friedrich August-Medaille;

Sachsen, Albrechtsorden, Ritterkreuz II. Klasse mit Schwertern;

Sachsen, Verdienstorden, Ritterkreuz II. Klasse mit Schwertern;

Sachsen, Silberne Milit?r-St. Heinrichs-Medaille;

Sachsen, Milit?r-St. Heinrichsorden, Ritterkreuz.

I guess this an rather special combination though Saxons are used to wear several more bravery awards than soldiers from other states. I cannot remember ever to have seen a Badener with more than three Baden bravery awards, so five from his own state may be the most to get in one war - and only(?) possible in Saxony. If someone gave me a nice portrait from Baden he might get this one, I actually don't collect Saxony but just had to take it ...

:rolleyes:

PS: a friend of mine claimed the last decoration rather to be a Romanian crown order, but from the ribbon and the order - it is the first award as it's from right to left - it is a MSH, is'n it? I'm actually sure ...

I?m a rookie in all that matter about the precedence?s system of german orders, but, the "Sachsen, Milit?r-St. Heinrichsorden, Ritterkreuz. ", don?t be first that the Friedrich august medal??? and the other orders...or...not being a Bravery order is in the last post???, the albrech order is nor a superior to FA medal???, too...(Or if this is a "Tuxedo-Frac) group, can be seen in reverse order (but what about the EKII??).

It looks somewhat stange to me... :blush:

Another explication is that the last cross is a forign cross like the romanian Crown order, but...the ribbon don?t seems to correspond...??

I?ll look for more lecturing on the respect. :unsure:

Thanks

Miguel

Hello Saschaw,

I am inclined to agree that the last decoration (far right) is a St. Henry knight?s cross as opposed to a Romanian award for two reasons.

1. It is clearly on the same ribbon as the St. Henry medal and,

2. Considering that the decorations appear to be mounted in precedence from right to left, it makes sense that a St. Henry knight?s cross, and not a foreign award, would be in first place.

With regard to the EK winding up in (right to left) last place, it is not uncommon to see ?home state? bravery awards mounted ahead of the EK, especially on Saxon and Bavarian bars.

That?s how I see it -

Best wishes,

Wild Card

This bar is a common (well okay, maybe not common) sight. The bar is mounted in Saxon precedence, right to left. The award on the far right is the Saxon Military Saint Henry... no ifs, ands or buts about it...

Followed by Medal to the order of Saint Henry, Merit Order 2kl.wX, Albert Order 2kl.wX, FAM, EK2.... now what is especially significant to me is that this fellow was decorated 2X as enlisted (FAM, SHM) and then 3X more as a field-promoted officer.... outstanding man, outstanding image.

A TRUE Saxon will mount ALL awards from Saxony before anything (even an EK2) from Prussia.....

Thanks Gentlemen for clearing this - so I was right in all points whereas my friend wasn't. :P

A TRUE Saxon will mount ALL awards from Saxony before anything (even an EK2) from Prussia.....

Hehe, yeah ... I saw once a Bavarian bar with even the Landwehr service award IInd class outranking the EK II ...

:cheeky:

If someone wants the photo and has something nice from Baden, he shalt PM me ... :speechless1:

Hallo Gents, :beer:

while the last cross in the picture is very similar in looks to the Romanian Order of the Crown, it would have to be the Civil Version without Swords and the ribbon for this was a thick blue center stripe, with two thick white stripes, flanked by two thin blue stripes. It would also have to have been awarded pre-WW1 as Romania was on the Allied side 1916-1919.

As far as I know, the only version of this Romanian Order with a Crown above the cross pre WW1 is a Commanders neck award and the only other version with a crown that hangs like a chest decoration is the 1938 version.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Guest Rick Research

I wish I had talents that were more commercially lucrative. :rolleyes:

Richard Haselmann. Born Hamm, Westfalen 21.5.1879. Zivil Beruf (1914) "Ingenieur." Leutnant der Landwehr I. Bn/KS IR 106.

StH3= 10.11.15 for capturing 200 Russian prisoners near Bystriza on 18.9

StHsM= 25.4.15 as Feldwebelleutnant

SV3bX = 7.12.16

SA3bX = 28.8.15

No other match in the 18 double recipients of St Henry Knight's Cross and Silver Medals.

While that looks like the old fashioned helmet worn by "Blue Police" into the late 1930s, the dagger he is holding appears to have the flame-top pommel of the Feuerwehr. I suspect if you can find a city address directory or phone book from then, he will appear as the city's Branddirektor or something like that, rather than as a climbing-up-ladders sort of "fireman."

Any better results with the insignia on his shoulder boards?

Thanks Gentlemen for the additional information.

:speechless1:

PS: I think you may be right about him being rather Feuerwehr than police, though it's strange he doesn't wear any Feuerwehr awards. May be his "bravery awards only" set. ;)

Edited by saschaw

Guest Rick Research

Sascha: I don't think he had any Feuerwehr awards because he was not a climbing up ladders into burning buildings sort of fireman-- he was a civilian administrator in charge of fire safety, building inspections, legal regulations and so on. He would have gotten the Treudienst civil service cross in 1938, not the Feuerwehr one. He went to work in a suit--

I guess that is why he has not changed his weirdly worn civilian Frackspange here on his rarely worn formal uniform.

he was a civilian administrator in charge of fire safety, building inspections, legal regulations and so on.

Are those not the guys to get even more awards than those who risk their lives in danger? ;)