News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Scott:

What a beautiful bar (as all of yours are)! Thank you for sharing it with us.

To clarify, a "333" mark is for 333/1000 parts gold. This tranlates into 8/24 on the carat scale. Thus, the medal is approximately 8 carat gold. This is the last type that was issued.

It is amazing that W?rttemberg issued medals with gold in them right up to the end of the war!

Best regards,

"SPM"

To clarify, a "333" mark is for 333/1000 parts gold. This tranlates into 8/24 on the carat scale. Thus, the medal is approximately 8 carat gold. This is the last type that was issued.

"SPM"

Hello ! I have also one wurtemberg gold bravey medal. Are they all marked "333", or this mark is only for the last type ? (weight of the medal : 13,7g)

Mine is mark "800" on the ring ! So, a fake ? An older model ?? I will try to take a photo as soon as possible !

Thank you gentlemen's !

:cheers:

Edited by pinpon590

Hello again:

A great question. These medals were at the first part of WWI struck in 14 carat gold (585/1000). I do not recall off-hand if these were marked "585" on the ring or not. However, to the best of my recollection, they were marked thusly.

All gilded-silver medals are supposedly "copies" as they were not issued (as Rick mentioned). But "copy" in this instance means something worn by the actual recipient, and not something made last week (although undoubtedly some folks have gotten creative and started gilding silver medals to increase the "value"). To me, the "800" mark on the ring is a sign that this is an older "copy". I image that it was not uncommon for a recipient to keep his genuine gold medal at home in the case and to wear a silver-gilt medal on his mounted bar.

The gold medals were rather generously awarded (compared to the "gold class" awards of the other Kingdoms). I have seen cast copies of the "333" gold medals, so beware when looking to purchase one.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Hello ! I have also one wurtemberg gold bravey medal. Are they all marked "333", or this mark is only for the last type ? (weight of the medal : 13,7g)

Mine is mark "800" on the ring ! So, a fake ? An older model ?? I will try to take a photo as soon as possible !

Thank you gentlemen's !

:cheers:

And it is marked ?986? on the rim next to the ?se. I have always been of the impression that this is a first issue while the ?333?s? are second issue. Any ideas or comments are most welcome.

Regards,

Wild Card

hello

I have only seen 333s on them but I think you may be right as stated the earlier pieces in purer gold!

I have had two in my collection over yrs and both had 333 I think any marked 800 as a silver gilt piece is a repacement piece by a jewler for order bar or a fake!!!! seen a few of them out there ! but 1st time on this mark ! And sorry for my spelling in any of my posts !!! to many lost days in childhood dreaming of buying medal bars and not listing in spelling class!!!!! :rolleyes:

And it is marked ?986? on the rim next to the ?se. I have always been of the impression that this is a first issue while the ?333?s? are second issue. Any ideas or comments are most welcome.

Regards,

Wild Card

Is the "986" the only mark on the rim ? Are there probably one, or two other marks (a "F" between two antlers and/or a circle with a dot in the middle)?

Attached you can see what I mean.

Best Regards

Matthias

Also remember guys that there are real-gold, higher content, with NO gold/maker stamps. The only way to determine is by weight.

Scott, this is one to be very proud of, a rare gem in perfect "South-German" mounting style.

ok...I do a little ahead now, without waiting wild cards response.

The "986" and "F" (between antlers) marked medals are officially coined by the State Mint in Stuttgart with the original pre 1918 tools at the end of 1957. This very unique process was for replacement of lost pieces of the veterans (these pieces could only be issued against precise confirmation of bestowal of the golden bravery medal)...so this medal is an official ( - replacement) and a rare one.

Best regards

Matthias

Edited by kunsho

Hello Kunsho,

I apologize for this late response. This thread got away from me during some hectic times back here. :blush:

My medal has only the ?986? mark; no ?F or antlers? and no circle with a dot in the middle either. Your information regarding these medals as being post war replacement pieces is quite fascinating, especially in view of the fact that they are such high gold content. It, to me anyway, reflects the high respect that these brave men were given, even long after the war.

Thank you again and, again, I apologize for this late response.

Best wishes,

Wild Card