News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 1 year later...

Gordon

This may be way off the mark but the shape of the gorget shown reminds me of the type used by the Quisling era forces of Norway. Particularly the distinctive pointed bottom and rounded upper sections. If you look at the photograph of the Norwegion AT Labour Service Officer on page 34 of David Littlejohns 'Foreign Legions of the Third Reich' volume one you will see a similar shaped gorget in wear albeit with Norwegion badge. (Unsure if copyright allows me to scan and post this picture?)

Not suggesting that this is the same gorget in any way but certainly similar in shape.

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Sharp eyes! Not the right shape for a WW1 Turkish "Iron Half Moon" so wonder what it can be?

Very very odd-- the uniforms are all late 1930s-ish BUT the Unteroffizier in the first photo (classic M1936 right down to the 1st pattern marksmanship lanyard) is wearing a no decals helmet-- which suggests mid-war.

Nothing :banger: to date or place these? They're older looking guys, so I wonder if some sort of static, no personnel rotation rear area or occupation troops still nicely kitted out because they hadn't had any equipment wastage?

Also nothing to indicate whether or not that is the SAME unit in the two photos-- and perhaps The One And Only bizarre gorget? :whistle::cheeky: :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

It looks to me like the Gefreiter on the far right and the well-fed NCO near the middle with the cigar are wearing M40 tunics - or else their collars are a much lighter shade of green. I wonder if this is indeed a mid-war shot.

Don

Edited by DonC