News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medals bar: Indiana Jones' Nemesis?

Guest Rick Research

Ah that is a :jumping::love::jumping::love::jumping: bar to some sort of Luftwaffe technical or administrative officer.

The "White" Spanish war crosses for war merit are MUCH rarer than the "Red" ones for valor.

I have NO idea what the last award is-- I's hazard a guess something Persian from the sun, but the other motifs appear Moroccan to my ill-educated eye.

I've never seen anything like it-- so I'll alter the title to draw attention to THAT.

Guest Rick Research

Aha. :cheers: The right title and the right person KNOWS.

EXCEPTIONALLY beautiful Order-- one I've never seen before.

This guy was probably on the Armistice Commission 1940-42 in North Africa, back and forth from Spanish to French Moroccos.

"Casablanca," anyone?

I think close-ups of the Czech Occupation medal (front & back) and Prague bar might be worthwhile, and I believe the white Spanish merit cross & crown are of the pre-1933/post-1975 design.

Edited by Scott

Terrific bar!!! An aspect perhaps worth exploring--as Ed reports in his http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14945 post, Gardino of Rome made much 2nd type Orden de la Mehdauia {Mehdi} insignia, including collars. Plaques or stars usually bear Gardino's maker plate but badges often have Italian silver fineness punch marks (and sometimes a maker punch) on the reverse suspension ball or ribbon ring. Several Spanish jewelers (including Medina?) also made this insignia. The question of whether the appearance of crescents/stars in the badge points vs. floriated designs there actually means anything appears unresolved. (Some opine it's just a jeweller choice, others a change from/in the original or 1936 or 1945-6 regulations. Most Gardino pieces have the crescents/stars.)

Maybe the best easily accessible non-net source on this Order is de la Punte's Condecoraciones Espanoles. Although what one may term a Spanish colonial order, Halifia {Caliph} Muley apparently made awards on his own say-so, not always to his Spanish protectors' liking. Order records were kept in the Diplomatic Cabinet (office) of the High Commissariat and Muley's Grand Vizir offices. Thus, records may be available in Madrid or Teutan.

Edited by 922F

The photo is of Captain Hans Langsdorff while on the staff of Admiral Bohen, 1936-1937 embarked in Graf Spee in Spanish waters.

Does anybody know the cross and ribbon at the bottom of Captain Langsdorff's funeral pillow in Buenos Aires, Dec. 1939?

John

Edited by John Robinson

In the right hand photo, the officer holding the pillow is Paul Ascher who was gunnery officer in Graf Spee. He escaped back to Germany and was assigned to Bismarck in which he was serving when that ship was sunk. John

Aha. :cheers: The right title and the right person KNOWS.

EXCEPTIONALLY beautiful Order-- one I've never seen before.

This guy was probably on the Armistice Commission 1940-42 in North Africa, back and forth from Spanish to French Moroccos.

"Casablanca," anyone?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2008/post-4281-1220520024.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2008/post-4281-1220520053.jpg

Hey Rick and lads. Thats the MEDAHUIA Order (Spanish Colonial order from the Marocco "Protectorate"

, or "Spanish Marocco")

I add the concession doc in arabian and the spanish doc.

Miguel

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2008/post-4281-1220520024.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2008/post-4281-1220520053.jpg

Hey Rick and lads. Thats the MEDAHUIA Order (Spanish Colonial order from the Marocco "Protectorate"

, or "Spanish Marocco")

I add the concession doc in arabian and the spanish doc.

Miguel

The Arabic document (though small) seems to be upside down.

Hello Hipnos,

Thank you for posting the star and documents. Is the reverse of your star marked? Besides Medina, Celjavo may have made this Order in Spain.

I can?t provide you with this information. This is a pic i keeep on my files. I heve one (knigt with ribbon) and don?t have any jewelwers mark.

Miguel

• 1 year later...

Dear Sirs

Unfortunately this group does not doubt that it is wonderful in almost everything except the white Cross of Military Merit, which includes ... that is a model that is only in force since 2003 This cross includes a crown of monarchy period (1864-1931) and since 1977, but also the central shield is the approved model for the Crosses of Merit in 2003 for existing models since 2003

For models please see www.coleccionesmilitares.com/medallas/texto/mm03.htm

In the period of the bar that should lead open crown (known as imperial, 1937-1977)

Please see www.coleccionesmilitares.com/medallas/texto/omm19361977.htm

Regarding the six-pointed cross, indeed it is rifaat category, equivalent to the knight

Please see www.coleccionesmilitares.com/medallas/texto/medhauia.htm

This is indeed the Order of the Mehdauia, one of the three orders Spanish Protectorate of Morocco, founded in 1926 and in force until 1956 former interns concessions to foreign personnel: Portugal, Germany, Italy, Mexico, etc.. (ROLF CARLS; ZYMALKOWSKI FELIX; OTTO CILIAX...)

The other two orders are the Military Order of Constance, 1946-1946 only official Khalifa Forces Moors troops

See www.coleccionesmilitares.com/medallas/texto/constanciapro.htm

and the Order of Hasania (1949-1956)

See www.coleccionesmilitares.com/medallas/texto/hasania.htm

About the Mhedauia, sure there are copies in Italy, besides those manufactured in Spain, but actually can be found growing specimens with and crescent and star, or a kind of lily

The origin of this star -also known as Solomon's seal or star-seems to come from the time of al-Andalus, although usually it is identified as a unique element of Judaism and the state of Israel-Star of David, having been used also by other cultures and states of Islamic influence. This star appears on coins, stamps and old documents from Morocco. In 1912 he added to his flag, in 1915 in the French Protectorate becomes five points but it retains six Spanish in the Protectorate.

Edited by Antonio Prieto