News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Most of the silver's off the front center, from wear or extreme polishing, but still a nice one. IF there was ever such a thing as the "standard issue" type, this is it.

Hello ccj:

It looks right to me:

It seems to have a silvered "kriegsmetal" center and an iron wreath which was painted black. Is the wreath magnetic?

Congratulations!

"SPM"

I'd need to check. should it be?

Edited by ccj

Hello ccj:

I checked the piece in my collection and it does indeed have an iron wreath which is finished with black paint. The center is silver and is marked "925" and has the "Meybauer" marking.

The intent I believe was to have this be a sort of EKI equivalent. Hence the name "Krieger-Ehrenzeichen in Eisen" (Warrior Decoration in Iron) and hence the use of iron to construct the wreath.

Undoubtedly, there were genuine period pieces which were all made of "Kriegsmetal" which was finished accordingly. So, a non-magnetic wreath does not necessarily constitute a dud.

Best regards,

"SPM"

I've never seen one made of silver before. I've only seen war metal types. That is very interesting and I do hope mine is real because it's on the way.

Here's one in my collection.

Edited by ccj

A bit of paper to go along with the hardware.

"dem Gefr. d. L. I. Mathias Be?er/ R.I.R. 118, 8. Komp./ 21. 8. 1917"

On the reverse: "Im Felde, den 31. Aug. 1917.", Unit stamp, Signature (I can't read it), and "Obstltn. u. Rgts-Kdeur."

Sorry, I had trouble getting this to show-up any larger than this.

"SPM"

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

I've never seen one made of silver before. I've only seen war metal types. That is very interesting and I do hope mine is real because it's on the way.

Here's one in my collection.

Charles:

This piece looks to possibly have a painted iron wreath and a silver center too!

It is very close to the "Meybauer" piece of mine, of course without the markings, and the pin is very slightly different.

Interesting!

"SPM"

p.s.: The more that I look at the piece that started this thread, from the obverse, it looks like the wreath and center are made from brass which was then plated/painted (it is difficult to tell thought due to colour variation with scanners/cameras).

Sorry, I see that Ferg1 already noticed this!

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

Charles:

This piece looks to possibly have a painted iron wreath and a silver center too!

It is very close to the "Meybauer" piece of mine, of course without the markings, and the pin is very slightly different.

Interesting!

"SPM"

I need to look at mine closer to see if it may be silver.

IR116

p.s.: The more that I look at the piece that started this thread, from the obverse, it looks like the wreath and center are made from brass which was then plated/painted (it is difficult to tell thought due to colour variation with scanners/cameras).

Sorry, I see that Ferg1 already noticed this!

Edited by ccj

• 2 years later...

Hello Gentlemen!

I have a question: one of the criteria of awarding by "Kriger-Ehrenzeichen in Eisen" was the earlier awarding of the military man by an Iron Cross. But was it EK-1 or EK-2?

Thanks in advance :beer: