News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz

• Replies 2.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, about the bravest soldier; what do you think of the information that he has been awarded this medal 4 times ?

Ch.

Due to overwhelming curiosity and demand for the information I've decided to break my silence - yawn.

There were two recipients who received SIX bravery medals for their feats in the Great Patriotic War - Starshina Marchenko, M.T. and razvedchik Breev, V.

Now go back to whatever you were doing...

"Due to overwhelming curiosity and demand for the information I've decided to break my silence - yawn.

There were two recipients who received SIX bravery medals for their feats in the Great Patriotic War - Starshina Marchenko, M.T. and razvedchik Breev, V."

Interesting, do you have a picture of them, or do you know what other medals they earn ?

regards

Andreas

"Due to overwhelming curiosity and demand for the information I've decided to break my silence - yawn.

There were two recipients who received SIX bravery medals for their feats in the Great Patriotic War - Starshina Marchenko, M.T. and razvedchik Breev, V."

Interesting, do you have a picture of them, or do you know what other medals they earn ?

regards

Andreas

No. The information is from a publication Nagradoved (p. 43) published jointly in Kiev and Moscow in 2004. The authors whom I know are reliable and spend a lot of time digging around in the archives.

(...)

There were two recipients who received SIX bravery medals for their feats in the Great Patriotic War - Starshina Marchenko, M.T. and razvedchik Breev, V. (...)

Many thanks for the answers.

Interesting, as in the Shishkov and Muzalevsky, they indicate the First Sergeant M.G.Marchenko has been awarded 4 medals For Bravery only... but maybe they have forgotten 2 ? :o

And, what is the result concerning the number of medals awartded in total ?

4.569.893 medals awarded is the figure of the Mondvor site.

Ch.

(...)

regards

Andreas

Andreas,

About Marchenko, it is said he has been awarded, in addition of the Medals For Bravery :

* Order of the Patriotic war, 2nd Class

* Order of the Red Banner of Labour

* Order of the Badge of Honour

Of course, this list is not exhaustive...

Ch.

No. The information is from a publication Nagradoved (p. 43) published jointly in Kiev and Moscow in 2004. The authors whom I know are reliable and spend a lot of time digging around in the archives.

Dudeman,

For our information, could you tell us who are the authors ?

Many thanks in advance.

Ch.

Dudeman,

For our information, could you tell us who are the authors ?

Many thanks in advance.

Ch.

That's a good question. I don't know the authors of the exact article because strangely enough one is not indicated. I know two of the authors who make up the "kollektiv" who write for Nagradoved.

If your info has him receiving the medal 4 times instead of six, it is not surprising. I have two sets with award books that show a recipient with X Bravery Medals when the research indicates 1 or even 2 additional ones granted years later for wounds or whatever reason.

Also, I don't think anyone can put the "exact" number of almost any Soviet number awarded more than a 100K times. For example, I just read an article a week ago where the Russian embassy in Uzbekistan awarded forgotten Uzbeks (some posthumous) medals for their actions during AFGHANISTAN. Granted they may have given Russian Federation awards, but they were probably handed old Soviet stocks. If they were given Soviet medals, I'm sure a Bravery Medal would have been among them. Similar awardings occurred in Russia into the early 2000s. As in the example of the recipient of six (recorded as four) Bravery Medals above, the Soviets were good at record keeping, but not perfect. Thus, the exact magic number for an award given more than 4,000,000 times can't be precise.

Dudeman,

Thanks for the precisions. An interesting round that shows that as many sources you have, as many results you get. Exhaustivity is a difficult mission to fulfill... :P

Now, who's turn is it ?

Jan, Dudeman again, others ? Any volunteer ?

Cheers, and thanks to all!! :beer:

Ch.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, let's go!!

Question in 5 parts (with easy and less obvious sub-questions) :P :

1. To whom do belong these orders and medals ?

2. This person has been awarded the Gold Star of Hero of the Soviet Union (HSU) : Why ?

3. Date of the HSU ?

4. Serial Number of the HSU ?

5. Where are today displayed these medals ?

Good hunt!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

Edited by Christophe

I'm guessing a French aviator in the Normandy-Neman Aviation Unit.

Roland de la Poype?

But is Order of the Pariotic War doesn't have a suspension. So if that's not him it must be the Marcel who has the same family name as me. :P

These medals are at the Mus?e Normandie-Ni?men.

Edited by Soviet

(...)

So if that's not him it must be the Marcel who has the same family name as me. :P

These medals are at the Mus?e Normandie-Ni?men.

Bryan,

Very good answers; you have nearly won. :jumping::jumping:

* His first name is Marcel. But, the family name? What is it?

* The medals are effectively in the Mus?e Normandie-Niemen.

To offcially declare you are the winner :P , I just need now the family name, and if you can give the date and SN of the HSU, it will be a real plus!!!!

Cheers.

Ch.

So I guess this was not Roland's medals. I will go with Marcel Lef?vre. After some research on an other forum here is what I have found. :P

Date of the HSU : 4/6/1945

Serial Number of the HSU: #10206

M?daille re?ue ? titre posthume. "Please help me with translation Christophe."

Edited by Soviet

So I guess this was not Roland's medals. I will go with Marcel Lef?vre. After some research on an other forum here is what I have found. :P

Date of the HSU : 4/6/1945

Serial Number of the HSU: #10206

M?daille re?ue ? titre posthume. "Please help me with translation Christophe."

Bravo Bryan, We have an "official" winner !! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

BTW, I really don't know where you found all these precise elements... :P

Here are the answers :

1. To whom do belong these orders and medals ?

Marcel Lef?vre

2. This person has been awarded the Gold Star of Hero of the Soviet Union (HSU) : Why ?

He was part of the Escadrille Normandie-Niemen. Let's see further...

3. Date of the HSU ?

4 June 1945

4. Serial Number of the HSU ?

SN #10206

5. Where are today displayed these medals ?

Mus?e Normandie-Niemen - Les Andelys (Normandy).

Ch.

Lieutenant Marcel Lef?vre.

Pilot Escadrille Normandie-Niemen.

Marcel Lef?vre was born on 17 March 1918 in Les Andelys (Eure), Normandy (France).

Thanks to his interest in aviation he obtains his pilot's licence in 1937.

In 1938 he enters the French Air Force and obtains his military pilot's licence the same year at the school of Angers. A flying fanatic, he got in total up to 785 hours of flight by the armistice of June 1940, in Bordeaux.

He was demobilized on 1st January 1941. He preferred to leave the army rather than to fight in Syria against the English.

On his return to France he passes the line of demarcation clandestinely, and is attached to G.C. 1/3 "Corsica" Fighter Squadron in Blida (Algeria) on 1st April 1941.

Marcel Lef?vre makes the decision to leave for Gibraltar as soon as the opportunity arises.

14 October 1941, in the company of Durand and Albert they benefit from an exercise to defect and fly with their "Dewoitine 520"s in the direction of Gibraltar. On his arrival within British territory, he asks to sign up in the F.A.F.L.

He arrives in London in December 1941 and is then attached to a English Fighter Squadron responsible for the defense of London. He takes part in many missions over the English Channel and even in occupied France

When he learns that a French fighter squadron is being formed in Russia , he goes volunteers straight away.

Marcel Lef?vre, after a long flight, lands on the 29 November 1942 in Ivanovo.

In March 1943, he is launched into his first engagements and very quickly shows the brilliance of his Pilot abilities.

5 May 1943, he shoots down his first German plane, a "Henschel 126". Up to 15 October 1943, Marcel Lef?vre scores 14 air victories including 11 approved.

On 28 May 1944, Lieutenant Marcel Lef?vre Commander of the 3rd escadrille "Cherbourg" crashes to the ground in flames in Doubrovka. He is pulled out of his burning cockpit with serious burns to his face, hands and legs. He is transported to Moscow hospital and succumbs to his wounds on 5 June 1944.

His mortal remains were handed over to the the French military authorities with extraordinary honors. He was buried in Moscow.

Marcel Lef?vre was made "Hero of the Soviet Union" posthum, by decree of the Praesidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR of the 4 June 1945.

Lieutenant Marcel Lef?vre also received the Titular Cross, Military Cross, Chevalier of the Legion of Honour. Order of the Red Banner, Order of the Patriotic War... With only 26 years of age he had totaled 1300 hours of flight and 128 combat missions.

On 18 February 1953, the Russians gave the bodies of Marcel Lef?vre and several of his comrades of "Normandy-Niemen", to the French military authorities of West Berlin so that they can be repatriated.

Marcel Lef?vre now lays in rest in Les Andelys.

(Text inspired from "Ceux de Normandie-Niemen" of Yves Donjon.

Ch.

In the Museum are displayed :

* ML's large award doc for his HSU. His HSU is the SN 10206, attributed on 4 June 1945. The HSU SN is visible on the doc.

* ML's small identification booklet for the HSU. No SN on it.

* ML's HSU star (a copy with a flat reverse, without any SN).

* ML's Order of Lenin (a copy).

* ML's Order of the Red Banner SN 96 323.

* ML's Order of the GPW 2nd Class SN 19 372.

The Museum responsible I met had no idea where could be the real HSU star and order of Lenin, as well as those of the 3 other Normandie-Niemen HSUs.

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

Edited by Christophe