News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Flammenwerfer! Flames, skulls and stuff

Update.

The Flammenwerfer officer skull arrived! It is a fantastic piece of history and has a much better quality than you can see in the already posted pictures. Now I have it my hands and I looked carefully at all details of the skull. I found rests of the thread, which was used to sew the skull on the sleeve. That means my presumption was correct. The skull was directly sewn in this shape on the uniform. It is possible it was made like the Rastatt skull with an field grey oval. But in this case it was cut out from the oval before it was fixed on the sleeve. Why? Different photos show us, that many officers prefered skulls without an oval. Reasons.......Perhaps to make another difference between the officer skull and the skull pattern for enlisted men??? Perhaps a "Modetrend"? Who knows....

Edited by Sergeant 08

It is a fantastic piece of history and has a much better quality than you can see in the already posted pictures. Now I have it my hands and I looked carefully at all details of the skull. I found rests of the thread, which was used to sew the skull on the sleeve. Perhaps a "Modetrend"? Who knows....

Exactly!

Just like the 'Black Skull' !! ;)

Congratulations !!!

Stefan,

How heavy is the skull, due to the metal thread? Can reducing the patch to more or less its metall part have given it a greater stability? Would otherwise have a heavy skull been "floating" on a larger cloth patch? On other badges (imperial shooting prizes, Freikorps patches...) you usually find or may find a counter-plate that gives the badge stability.

Otherwise, they may have just found it more elegant... Some enlisted men seem to have done it as well.

Gilles

Stefan,

How heavy is the skull, due to the metal thread? Can reducing the patch to more or less its metall part have given it a greater stability? Would otherwise have a heavy skull been "floating" on a larger cloth patch? On other badges (imperial shooting prizes, Freikorps patches...) you usually find or may find a counter-plate that gives the badge stability.

Otherwise, they may have just found it more elegant... Some enlisted men seem to have done it as well.

Gilles

Gilles,

your thoughts are very, very interesting. Thanks!

I think this practical problem could be the origin for wearing cut out skulls without an oval. It is correct, the metal thread gives the skull a very high weight. The skull is compareable to a metall badge. It could be uncomfortable for an uniform wearer to sew it with an oval on the uniform. Without oval officer skulls had a better stability on sleeves. No doubt.

Stefan

PS: Enlisted men did the same. Perhaps really accepted as more elegant way later. I think the most soldiers (who did the same) were NCO's with higher military ranks. I guess they used embroidered officer skulls, too.

Edited by Sergeant 08

Stefan.

Keep the faith, brother.

The black skull is one of the rarest things out there ........................

It has pride of place in this TK group. :)

Time will provide the evidence.

It always does.

Edited by Robin Lumsden