• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And here's Bernhard Reddemann in the background, the big guy with a notebook and pencil, his overcoat on his shoulder. The flamethrower is the Kleif M.1914. Notice that he doesn't have a Totenkopf sle

IR92 tankard lid............

Brunswick HR17 flask...............(with Prussian skull !!)

Posted Images

• 8 months later...

Freikorps Caspari carried the Iron Division flag.............

post-153-091734200 1290027874_thumb.jpg

I noticed this photo in an old post from 2010 (#719) wrongly identifying this group as Freikorps Caspari. Freikorps Caspari had nothing to do with the Iron Division or the Baltic. Nor, did they have a veteran's organization of former members as all Freikorps Caspari members either went into Reichswehr Brigade 10 or the Bremen Security Police in June 1919.

This photo is in fact of veterans of the Baltic Landwehr/Deutsche Legion/Iron Division which fell under the umbrella of the Verein Ehemaliger Baltikumkämpfer founded in 1922, which became the Reichsverband Baltikumkämpfer in 1933. The black sword on a white shield was originally the insignia of the Baltic Landwehr and was adopted later by the Deutsche Division and Iron Division during the Riga campaign.

Here is an example of the sleeve badge seen in the photo.

5ad02fe975c8e_BalticLandwehrarmbadgesm.thumb.jpg.c8a341afb48ec72d648af2248bd23660.jpg

Edited by bolewts58
  • 9 months later...
On 09/06/2009 at 18:50, Robin Lumsden said:

I found this at the Bundesarchiv site................caption says it's a (British?) tank, destroyed by German flamethrower action.

(1. Weltkrieg 1914-1918, Westfront, durch deutsche Panzerabwehr mit Flammenwerfer vernichteter (britischer?) Tank; die Besatzung ist erstickt und verbrannt.)

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146_1994_085_37__Westfront__verbrannte_Besatzung_eines_Tanks.jpg

The caption says also that the crew of the tank was suffocated and burned by the flamethrower action

• 3 months later...

Very informative info Brian - thank you !   I wasn't on the forum for a while … or a bit longer ..    If we are talking about Freikorps Caspari , I have few pieces from one of his former officers ( I bought them from his son ! )  - they are from WW I and WW II era , nothing from his Freikorps time … I was told he was participating in this particular Freikorps .  His name is Rudolf Sies and he was very interesting man - after his Second World War he was President of the organization of German porcelain makers and one of the highest managers at Huetschenreuther Manufactur .. I'm sorry it's bit off topic .. here you have his few belongings  .. I also have somewhere packed his WW I  officer's shoulder board.

best 

Kornel 

27aa - 28bb.JPG

29aa - Sies - lot - 27aa - 28aa.JPG

• 1 month later...

blog.operationwardiary.org/2015/02/13/the-german-army-during-the-first-world-war/

'King Wilhelm II of Württemberg examining a flamethrower on the Western Front, April 1917.'

Not sure if the man on the far left is standing in the ideal position.

1.jpg.cd2a722be55a49b8cb075ad76ca497e7.jpg

• 9 months later...