News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bulgarian decorations

Could Todor Petrov's book "Bulgarian orders and medals" be the reference you are looking for? It appears quite often on eBay.

Does it give the order of precedence for wear? There are so many grades of each decorations but I'm not sure if a bravery order is alway ahead of all others. Did the St Alexander alway take precedence over all merit medals no matter the class?

Is the Petrov book in english?

Does it give the order of precedence for wear? There are so many grades of each decorations but I'm not sure if a bravery order is alway ahead of all others. Did the St Alexander alway take precedence over all merit medals no matter the class?

Unfortunately I cannot tell. I looked for it and I found one on eBay right now. Maybe you could ask the seller all these questions.

Is the Petrov book in english?

This is stated in the book description and appears in the photos posted by the seller.

Unfortunately I cannot tell. I looked for it and I found one on eBay right now. Maybe you could ask the seller all these questions.

This is stated in the book description and appears in the photos posted by the seller.

Looks great but it's EXPENSIVE!!!

The Bravery order is always the first one! Even if it is the simple Soldier's grade! Always the first.

After the Bravery order, it goes like this:

St Alexander 4th

Military Merit 4th

St Alexander 5th

Military Merit 5th with Crown

Military Merit 5th

For Merit

St Alexander 6th

Military Merit 6th with Crown

Military Merit 6th

And at the end are pinned various medals like Merit, Lifesaving, war commemorative and etc etc.

If there are two St Alexander orders from the same class, the one with swords is first.

If there are two Military Merit orders from the same class, the one on wartime ribbon /blue/ is first /the other one is yellow-black/.

If there are two For Merit from the same class, again the one on blue ribbon is first and then comes the one on red ribbon.

Theo, that's exactly what am looking for. I have a few orders that I want to add to my Arty tunic... I have a 4th or 5th class Meirt on war ribbon I'm about to add but I don't want to remove the medals more than once, its a pain!!!!

The Bravery order is always the first one! Even if it is the simple Soldier's grade! Always the first.

After the Bravery order, it goes like this:

St Alexander 4th

Military Merit 4th

St Alexander 5th

Military Merit 5th with Crown

Military Merit 5th

For Merit

St Alexander 6th

Military Merit 6th with Crown

Military Merit 6th

And at the end are pinned various medals like Merit, Lifesaving, war commemorative and etc etc.

If there are two St Alexander orders from the same class, the one with swords is first.

If there are two Military Merit orders from the same class, the one on wartime ribbon /blue/ is first /the other one is yellow-black/.

If there are two For Merit from the same class, again the one on blue ribbon is first and then comes the one on red ribbon.

Hi Charles,

What a beauty. I don't remember you were a fan of Bulgarian Army. I love their medals. for me all the Bulgarian medals are perfect.

Sorry to say that but can you show us a close up of the medals please. Many thanks

Christophe

You have put together a great display! Most groups I've seen display the Balkan War commemorative medal before the WW I commemorative medal. Though both medals were instituted at the same time, most awardees mounted the Balkan War medal first as those wars occured first.

D.Acovic authored a study of Bulgar awards in the 1980s that may cite a specific law or regulation on award precedence. I do not have an accessible copy at present. Petrov's and Denkov's books [among others] are expensive but well worth the money in terms of solid research, terrific photos, and the reality that running down details and translating them would cost much, much more.