News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

FJO - knights cross

Iver

• Replies 58
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice FJO,

I read that HUW started to make FJO towards the end of the First World War, is it true?

palencia: I must say - I really don´t know, but I would like to.. I hope Josef or Elmar will write something about this cross, it´s manufacturer and about this strange hallmark (maybe imported piece??)... smile.gif

Edited by Iver

• 1 month later...

Not a stupid question at all!

A possible reason is to make the repair of centre medallions easier.

Also the Goldene Verdienstkreuze (with or without crown), when made in gold have the obverse medallion with a particular system that allow it to be opened.

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang

Thank you, Elmar! "Maintainance door" on decoratkion - sounds weird yet possible. I was thinking about something more misterious, like to put there a small piece of paper with recipients name... or a piece of hair from Franz Josephs's moustaches... :cheeky:

• 6 months later...

A quick question... how hard are these "Rothe" copies to find and about what could one expect to pay for one? I'd absolutely LOVElove.giflove.gif one of these FJO Knight's Crosses but fear originals would be well out of my price range... especially at the moment. I think these are one of the most beautiful Orders out there.jumping.gifjumping.gif

Many thanks in advance for any info.beer.gif

Dancheers.gif

• 2 months later...

Dear Elmar, Valter,

back to those interesting hinge construction of medalion on reverse. I would boubd that producers were considering possible future reparation of order; for them it might be an aditional business to sell new piece instead of damaged one.

But I was personally present on two ocasions, where we opened the reverse medalion (of hinge construction of course). One, (Commander cross in gold) which is in my collection, has a small golden ring in it, must be made for a child according to it's size. The other, ritterkreuz as well in gold, had a small culr of hair in it. Both decorations had come direct from the families, and most likely nobody put ''items'' into the crosses.

I ivestigated a little and I've heard stories that it was somehow fashionable to take a small item from your belowed (wife or children) and put it in the decoration as a kind of talisman for good luck. Now, holders of FJO orders, especially commanders, were very rarely young officers who would run across the battlefield and thus ''need a lot of luck indeed'', so this shoudl be against this theory. But as I've said, I fould items inserted in reverse medalions twice...

I'm including reverse detail of my commader's cross

Pavel

Gents,

For me this is a real puzzle, and I simply cannot find any logical explanation for the existence of those hinge construction of medallions on reverses. Some say that those things served for making easier some kind of reparation. What kind of reparation and how? I cannot imagine any repair made through that tiny hole. If there was a need for reparation one could easily give the order to a jeweller to make those reparations since there was basically peace during its existence. But, if really this was it purpose, why only on these orders and not on all made of gold?

Or, was it for hiding a tiny talisman to take it with someone to a war? I do not think so, and please, do not forget that the order was founded in 1849 and 65 years had to be passed until the Great War. To my mind it would be mistaken to make any judgement based only on the last four years of its existence. (Please, understand me correctly. I do not argue with anybody. I am just trying to say that the original purpose had to be something else, although, it was possible to hide there a pint-sized object and perhaps some did so.)

So, it is puzzle for me, but those things are there and this is a sober fact.

Regards,

cimbineus

I would say it´s there really to make the reparations of centre medaillons easier.. the year "1849" and initials "FJ" are fixed to the cross with thin "legs" (see my photo of knights cross with opened back side... if it gets broken, it´s really good to have access to the inward :beer:

Hello Gentlemen!

Can you help me to identify the maker of this FJO? I cant see the makers mark on the ioop, it's sewn.

The order is bronze, but the crown looks like gilded silver. There is no an enamel in the central medallions.

Thanks in advancebeer.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Gentlemen!

Can you help me to identify the maker of this FJO? I cant see the makers mark on the ioop, it's sewn.

The order is bronze, but the crown looks like gilded silver. There is no an enamel in the central medallions.

Thanks in advancebeer.gif

Nobody knows? :(

Actually I know the MAX show is going on right now so perhaps some of the members are there. May be other things going on. I know weekends can often be slow, especially when the weather is nice and folks are out and about doing things. Hang in there and I'm sure you'll get some replies once things pick back up this week. beer.gif

Great pics by the way! This is one of my all time favorite Orders and I pray I'll be able to acquire an example some day. rolleyes.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Hello,

I was off from home due to work and Now I've seen the pictures of Sergio's FJO cross mounted in a German Große Ordensspange.

It looks like a piece made by W. Kunz of Vienna, due to the way the monogram is made. Just my opinion looking at the pictures though.

Best wishes,

Elmar Lang