News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

Rumanian ribbons changed with bewildering (well, to me anyway :rolleyes: ) frequency and were always supposed to mean something, peacetime, wartime, and so on. Not that German outfitters necesarily always had the correct or proper ribbons-- does THIS ribbon indicate a time period or purpose? I've long abandoned all hope of ever figuring them out and rely on Rumanian experts to explain such details!

I actually have a "French" style rosette for an officer class of THIS ribbon that fell off of some German ribbon bar, and never having seen it before, didn't realize it was the :love: Rumanian Order of the Crown.

Hi Rick,

There are 2 types of Order of the Crown classfied as Type 1 and Type 2. They differ in that on the Type 1 medal (1881-1932) the Kings mongram is between the arms of the cross with the crown serves as the central medallion. If the Type 1 award had swords it indicated bravery in war or military merit in times of peace. On the Type 2 (1932-1947) the monogram and crown are reversed, ie. the monogram is in the center medallion and the crown is in between the arms. In 1938 a military division was created for the Type 2 award and included the swords and crown devices between the arm.

The ribbon for the Type 2 award was blue with a central silver stripe. In times of war a yellow/gold stripe on each edge was added. If the Type 2 medal was awarded for bravery the ribbon became blue and red.

As for your rosette, officers grades for the Type 1 award were indicated with a silver and blue rosette (the ribbon on the Type 1 was blue with 2 silver stripes). A crown at the top of the award indicates Knights grade.

Confusing isnt it??!!

So I am not sure what my guy did to get this. He obviously was an officer serving in a peace time capactiy since his award is without swords. It was also prior to the war since he does not have the gold stripes on the ribbon. Naval attache??

Post below your reply is my other Third Reich bar with the Order of the crown with gold stripes and swords.

Hope this helped??!! :blush:

Gary B

Rumanian ribbons changed with bewildering (well, to me anyway :rolleyes: ) frequency and were always supposed to mean something, peacetime, wartime, and so on. Not that German outfitters necesarily always had the correct or proper ribbons-- does THIS ribbon indicate a time period or purpose? I've long abandoned all hope of ever figuring them out and rely on Rumanian experts to explain such details!

I actually have a "French" style rosette for an officer class of THIS ribbon that fell off of some German ribbon bar, and never having seen it before, didn't realize it was the :love: Rumanian Order of the Crown.

Edited by Gary B

Thanks for the comments!

I was actually lucky enough to buy this last bar from a friend who was disposing of his collection. I only have a few bars with foreign awards in them. I really like them since the enamel "brightens" up the TR bar. I will try to post more later.

I just missed out on a nice Austriam mounted (triangular) Schinkel EK2....

Gary B

A very attractive bar, Gary. Congratulations on your latest find.

Thanks for the comments!

I was actually lucky enough to buy this last bar from a friend who was disposing of his collection. I only have a few bars with foreign awards in them. I really like them since the enamel "brightens" up the TR bar. I will try to post more later.

I just missed out on a nice Austriam mounted (triangular) Schinkel EK2....

Gary B

I will look forward to seeing your upcoming posts!

Regards

Paul Reck

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Dear forumites,

I find these German WWII medal bars with foreign orders and medals (Bulgaria, Rumenia, Italy, Spain, etc.)very interesting. But you have to be very careful; shows in Germany are full of put together medal bars with impossible combinations.

I saw something interesting on Thies last auction's catalogue. I think that these bars are quite impossible to be real, given the combinations of Junior/Senior officer's orders and civilian merit orders or medals on the same bars.

Here's the pictures of the bars...

I would like to hear your comments on them!

Ciao,

Claudio

Hello,

the medal bar no 1645 is not all right. The member of legion Condor can not earn the medalla militar and the Merit militar cross.

regards from Germany

Michael

Hallo Gentlemen :beer:

I agree with Michael also why is there a Bulgarian Civil Award IIII Class in the middle as well??

With regards 1646 this is possible to a German, but I am not sure what the last award / insignia is supposed to be. Must have a quick search through my reference books.

1647 to could be possible as Luftwaffe personel got a lot of awards form the Romanians, for service with them in combat and as instructors to the Romanian Airforce, the last two decorations being Bulgarian.

No comment on the 1644 as yet :P

Kev in Deva.

Guest Rick Research

1647 is impossible: the civil ribbon Bronze Merit Medal with Crown was given to people with approximate status of an Unteroffizier--

not a serving Luftwaffe officer with a Rumanian Officer Class order who was a Hauptmann or Major.

1647 is impossible: the civil ribbon Bronze Merit Medal with Crown was given to people with approximate status of an Unteroffizier--

not a serving Luftwaffe officer with a Rumanian Officer Class order who was a Hauptmann or Major.

Hallo Rick, :beer:

thanks for pointing out the problem with bar 1647 my only reference book with Bulgarian awards is in Bulgarian, so while the pictures look great deciphering the text is difficult for a non-kyrilite :unsure:

The enameled medals are in good condition though :love:

Kev in Deva.

Guest Rick Research

Fakers are greedy. They always push things to just that... too much. And original Frankenstein parts being not readily available, they do dumb things.

That would have passed-- at least on the front, at least un-blacklighted, with FIVE and not SIX awards--

and the least valuable Cannot Be is what spoils that particular con job.

It's like the Austrian WW1/WW2 EK group... MISSING a dirt common, dirt cheap Hindenburg CrossX.

But then, the fraud makers don't NEED to be careful

there is always somebody with more money than sense to actually buy these, no matter what.

I increasingly hear people saying that the "parts are worth the price"

but the REAL price is the unseen REAL bars that are being butchered, lost and gone forever to make

what amounts to, in the end,

nothing but loose, ribbonless medals.