News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Marc,

Now you?ve got me going. As I said above, that 1914 Reuss cross has always been one of my favorites. One of the things that intrigues me about them is the many different ways in which they are constructed, especially when you consider that only 366 were awarded. I would point to the fact that Nimmergut illustrates yet two more variants.

Following are pictures of my piece, which, unlike yours is flat. The manner in which the wreaths are attached is similar, if not identical; but you will notice that the ?19/14? devices on mine are also attached with pins or rivets. Also, mine is marked ?925? on the reverse.

Question - does anyone have any information or theories regarding the many variations of this decoration? Thank you in advance.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Flak88 and Wild Card,

Nice to see these rare pieces. The first one posted is high quality and no doubt original, But the second is a real stunner in the way it is made. Reminds me of my Godet Turk War Medal with all of the pieces individualy riveted. Sweet!

Dan Murphy

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Wonderful stuff, especially the Reuss crosses!

Question - does anyone have any information or theories regarding the many variations of this decoration? Thank you in advance.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Considering the size of the Principality and the very low number of potential recipients, I feel it would be reasonable to assume that only small quantities of this cross were made as required.

The court jeweller probably wasn't geared up to manufacturing large quantities of awards to meet the relatively low demand and when crosses were made, this was probably done in small batches or even to individual fill orders, which would explain the variety of production styles.

Gentlemen,

David, I think that your theory makes a lot of sense. Since this award was founded in May of 1915, those 366 awards were stretched out over a considerable period of time. Typically, there were probably a considerable number of awards at the very beginning and then there was, as you put it, a ?relatively low demand...?.

Stogieman, I do not think that all of the components were made in an initial run because if you check the several examples available, you will notice considerable variations. Unfortunately, I can not post it, but I took the picture of my piece and blew it up to match Marc?s and found the following differences.

First, and most obvious, the body of Marc?s piece is slightly vaulted whereas mine is flat. The leaves on Marc?s piece are comparatively more rounded. The upper arm on the ?H?s? in the center medallions are different - Marc?s is straight across, top and bottom while mine is curved like a knife blade. The ?bows? at six o?clock show differences; and so on. Add in Nimmergut?s examples and you find more of the same.

Dan, thank you for the compliment.

Marc, message received, I agree, see you then.

Wild Card

Marshall - WOW! Nicely done. It is just such a quality piece. If your rifle is out of action you could surely break a skull by throwing this at someone! Wild Card - your reverse is amazing! I would love to see that one up close. And when you go through the ribbons - hint - look for a FA one for me... :D

Hi Heiko! The "slippery slope" is the act of actually collecting Imperial Awards! Starting to collect Imperial is like taking a big step onto the icy side of a mountain..... once on the ice, it's a long slide down forever!

You buy that first Imperial piece........ next thing you know, you need another, and another, and another...... kind of like Heroin and Tattoos, without as much social stigmatism ;>)

Sorry gentlemen for a off topic question but I am always reading your "slippery slope" and I think I know what you mean but please can someone explain it exactly to me...?!

Thank you

Heiko

(Endlich) von der dunklen Seite wegkommen und ins Kaiserreich abgleiten. Guten Rutsch!