News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello to all,

My heart sank when I saw this medal bar on ebay today. What a shame. I will never be able to understand what possesses a person to do such a thing. In the old days of collecting, you didn't have to worry too much about people assembling fraudulent medal bars. Instead, you had a breed of vandal that ripped original medal bars apart to sell off the pieces separately.

Here are a few pictures of the sad medal bar and a link to the ebay page with more pictures:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140373722042&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Best regards,

Tom

Guest Rick Research

Though theoretically...

this COULD have been in this condition (unless there is a recent "before" photo) since 1914/15-- he'd have remounted then for 3 WW1 medal bar awards and didn't die until 1932.

REAL hard to imagine anyone preserving this as shown for

96 years! :speechless1:

What a pity... but it could be restored back to its original splendor. The last two ribbons without orders are definitely foreign ones (last one Norwegian order of St. Olaf), but the one before it, what could it have been??

Ciao,

Claudio

What a pity... but it could be restored back to its original splendor. The last two ribbons without orders are definitely foreign ones (last one Norwegian order of St. Olaf), but the one before it, what could it have been??

Ciao,

Claudio

Maybe the Bulgarian Order of St. Alexander?

Matt

Edited by M Hunter

Guest Rick Research

No, it was a Belgian Leopold. But I don't see any point in handing the identification out into the ether for a possibly demented seller's potential additional profit as a reward for perhaps shredding an original bar.

If somebody here ends up with this sad, pathetic remnant

which I doubt since I imagine some malevolent scum will buy it to re-use the Colonial Medal bar for Frankensteinish chicanery (one can only hope both prongs snap off and Devil take such)

then the original owner's name is no problem.

Don't do IDs for strangers. Don't put money into the pockets of ghouls. Don't reward vandals.

Though theoretically...

this COULD have been in this condition (unless there is a recent "before" photo) since 1914/15-- he'd have remounted then for 3 WW1 medal bar awards and didn't die until 1932.

REAL hard to imagine anyone preserving this as shown for 96 years! :speechless1:

Rick,

This particular scenario never crossed my mind, although it is a possibility. If the orders were removed so that the officer's new medal bar could be assembled, then this would not be a case of vandalism at all: just the remains of his old medal bar. If a new bar was indeed assembled, maybe all replacement medals were used on the new bar except, of course, for the orders. But would a replacement be available for a King George V Coronation Medal? Wouldn't that one need to be removed from the old bar and re-mounted on the new bar? Or would the King George V Coronation Medal not be allowed on a Prussian Officer's WWI Period medal bar?

Best regards,

Tom

Wouldn't that one need to be removed from the old bar and re-mounted on the new bar? Or would the King George V Coronation Medal not be allowed on a Prussian Officer's WWI Period medal bar?

Though not banned, many would not wear it anymore.

Poor bar! :unsure: