News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of Civil Valour & Red Banner of Labour

Vatjan

ORDER OF CIVIL VALOUR

T1V1: No star - 3 maker's marks - NO serial number (cfr Herfurth) This type is not mentionned in Dr B's book.

T1V2: No star - Mondvor mintmark - serial numbered (cfr Herfurth)

T1V3: No star - Monetnyi Dvor mintmark - serial numbered (cfr Herfurth)

Herfurth mentions these 3 variations, but shows only the obverse, I've never seen another, so this info might not be accurate.

T2V1: Big star - 3 maker's marks - NO serial number

T2V2: Small star - Mondvor mintmark - serial numbered

Will post pix later

• 1 year later...

Given the rarity of these "first-generation" awards, this may be understood.

These (type 1 and type 2) were among those offered to me in UB. But at prices even sillier than we see on Some Dealer's site.

Ed,

how much did they ask for these in UB?

More than $12K?

William

Much more, but he was

1- very much aware of Igor's site (as were most UB dealers), and used it as a benchmark, and

2- used to dealing with Russian and Chinese investors.

I guess investors are the only ones capable of shelling out $12,000 or more for a single badge.

William

Why?

I guess I meant to say "for a Mongolian badge", not just any badge.

Mongolian awards is still very limited area, not that many collectors buy Mongolian awards. Most get lower priced awards, very few venture into something really expensive as $12,000.

Now, if this would be German or Russian awards - that's totally different game.

William

I guess I meant to say "for a Mongolian badge", not just any badge.

Mongolian awards is still very limited area, not that many collectors buy Mongolian awards. Most get lower priced awards, very few venture into something really expensive as $12,000.

Now, if this would be German or Russian awards - that's totally different game.

William

Really? I have paid that much for some items (and oh how it hirt), and would not spend anywhere near that in other areas (except my core focus). I find it amazing and scandalous what some people pay for German (especially 3rd Reich) stuff. Maybe it depends on the perspective, and there isn't one common view, William. You seem to assume there is?!

Really? I have paid that much for some items (and oh how it hirt), and would not spend anywhere near that in other areas (except my core focus). I find it amazing and scandalous what some people pay for German (especially 3rd Reich) stuff. Maybe it depends on the perspective, and there isn't one common view, William. You seem to assume there is?!

Of course there isn't a single way.

But there are mainstream areas and there are some less popular fields (Mongolia is one of them). It's getting better since some literature has been published on the subject, but still is very much niche market.

I was just thinking about this from investor's point of view: if you buy something for $12,000, you would hope it would appreciate and you make nice return on your investment. But what's ones exit strategy? If there isn't large enough market - whom are you going to sell to?

Again, what do I know? There may be plenty of folks to whom paying $12K and more for an order is in the same magnitude as for me paying for a common Red Banner is.

Although I agree that 12k is a huge amount to pay for a single item, if the right item were to come around I might be tempted...

My problem is that I have yet to buy anything Mongolian as an investment, I just can't imagine parting with any of them..

I am however glad to know that my "investment" is secure... I wouldn't want the value to drop, but that isn't the purpose of collecting for me.

JC

ps. not sure if this is relevant but I thought I'd share all the same....

Of course there isn't a single way.

But there are mainstream areas and there are some less popular fields (Mongolia is one of them). It's getting better since some literature has been published on the subject, but still is very much niche market.

I was just thinking about this from investor's point of view: if you buy something for $12,000, you would hope it would appreciate and you make nice return on your investment. But what's ones exit strategy? If there isn't large enough market - whom are you going to sell to?

Again, what do I know? There may be plenty of folks to whom paying $12K and more for an order is in the same magnitude as for me paying for a common Red Banner is.

If you were an investor, wouldn't you choose a more mainstream area precisely for that reason... better liquidity?

Although I am confident Mongolian awards - the rare ones that is - will appreciate and appreciate over time... for investment purposes, the 12K ones may in fact be much worse than let's say a Soviet order of friendship.