News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Badge identification....

I don't know the first patch... something to do with nuclear submarines.

I believe the one in post 2 would be worn on the shoulder boards and would signify what fleet the individual was assigned to.

The one in post 3 is an officers command badge for submarines. If it were in gold instead of silver it would be for Admirals.

The ones in post 4 are Naval trade badges... something to do with torpodoes and mines I believe. I believe those wHopinould have been worn on the sleeve of the blue jumper on your last post. But only one of them at a time to signify the specialty/trade the individual was working in. I'm not sure what the difference in the color signifies.

Hoping other more knowledgeable members will pop in here and confirm if I'm correct and give more details.beer.gif

Hope this helps.

Dancheers.gif

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me anything about this badge? I`d also be very interested to know which uniform it would be worn on & were?

Many thanks in advance,

Gordon.

Gordon,

The first badge is probably an unauthorized badge produced for wear by sub crews of a specific flot. My Russian is too poor to make out which one the the curved cyrillic letters across the top refer to a specific flotilla. The second word transliterates as Flot.

The second badge is a cyrillic F for flot. These were in wear when the Soviet Union ceased to exist. They were worn on both shoulders. Before these F badges were introduced a two letter badge was worn on the shoulder which indicated the name of a specific flot. The F is no longer worn. Rank is worn on the shoulder where this cyrillic F would have been worn. And yes this badge would have been worn on the uniform you pictured. I have a shirt with these shoulder patches in plave and the cyrillic F has been removed and replaced with a single gold rank stripe. The rest is pretty much as Dan has said.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

The first badge in cyrillic is:

северный флот

карелия

атомный подводный крейсер

"Northern Fleet"

"Karelia" (the region near Finland. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karelia)

"Nuclear Submarine"

I like the submarine badge, by the way! :cheers:

Alex

Cheers Guys, thats been a great help!!!

Could I ask what is refered to when you say Flot, I assume the emblem on the badge is the letter F in Russian. Is this some sort of rank or does it show which unit (if thats the right word) the guy was in. I also assume that its pre 1991, when they were still the CCCP?

With regards to the trade badges, I assume the gold circle means a higher grade/level of trading than the one just with the red?

Whats the submarine badge about, is it like the ones the US & UK have once you`ve qualified as submariner?

bigjarofwasps,

Flot is the latin transliteration of the Russian spelling. In English it is simply Fleet. Redmaestro has translated the cyrillic to English. I "transliterated" the cyrillic into the equivalent latin characters. So yes the first character in the second word in the first line of cyrillic text below is a Latin F. It has no special meaning when placed on the shoulder patch of the sailor. It simply stands for Flot. I mentioned above that before this simple F marking came into use the sailor would have had two cyrillic characters on his shoulder patch. In this case it would have been Cф. There was no rank associated with this marking at that time.

северный флот

карелия

атомный подводный крейсер

"Northern Fleet"

"Karelia" (the region near Finland. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karelia)

"Nuclear Submarine"

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me anything about this badge? I`d also be very interested to know which uniform it would be worn on & were?

Many thanks in advance,

Gordon.

This is the patch of the K-18 Karelia Submarine (Delta-IV class).

See below :

ST. PETERSBURG, November 12 (RIA Novosti) – A Russian Delta-IV class Karelia nuclear submarine has started sea trials following lengthy modernization at the Zvezdochka shipyard in northern Russia, the company said.

The overhaul, which started in 2004, included noise reduction, improved enemy ship and submarine tracking capabilities, and enhanced survivability. The submarine has been equipped with 16 Sineva RSM-54 missiles.

K-18 Karelia could join Russia’s Northern Fleet by the end of this year, the shipyard said in a statement on Wednesday.

Similar overhaul has been done to four other Delta-IV class submarines – the K-51 Verkhoturye, the K-84 Yekaterinburg, the K-114 Tula, and the K-117 Bryansk.

The Russian Navy has seven Delta-IV class submarines in service. They are all deployed in the Northern Fleet.

« The Delta-IV class submarines are the core of the naval component of the Russian nuclear triad at present. After the modernization, the subs will be able to remain in service for another 10 years, » Zvezdochka said."

Ch.