News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Thanks for posting this one Michel. (I don't have a Zimmermann yet !)

Michel will know the answer to this, but I wonder if anyone can spot the difference ( very slight) between the Zimmermann U-Boat Badge and the two similar ones from Mayer and Schickle shown earlier in this thread.

• Replies 71
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The eagles head is smaller and the neck is longer on the one posted by Mike

Nope, they are the same. Just the photo makes them look different. Actually, its quite difficult to see on this image, but all four arms of the swastika are cut out. Look at the Schickle and Mayer examples and the top arm of the swastika is solid. What looks like a solid arm on Michel's photo is the pin showing through from the back of the badge.

Edited by Gordon Williamson

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

This one was recently posted on WA website .... it has a mm that no one has seen before? ohmy.gif

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/sho...ead.php?t=99541

Bears no resemblance to the style that Steinhauer illustrate in their wartime catalogue. Not that this is conclusive as other makes ( namely e.g. L/18 ) come in two distinct types for the Tombak and later Zink types. Could be Steinhauer started off with this Schwerin type in Tombak and then later changed to the FO style for zink, but I have seen these FO styles before, apparently wartime, but with spurious maker marks on them.

Michel

Yes I have the reverse view. I'll edit this post to add the photo when I get home. It was presented to Otto Koehler by the crew of U-377. It was fire damaged which melted the solder attaching the pin fitting which has now disappeared. The badge was recently donated to the U-Boot Archiv by U-Boat historian Jak Mallmann Showell.

Hi Guys !

Thanks to Gordon W. I just found this Militaria Forum .

And I se a lot of name I have seen on other Forum , and that I have contact with earlier .

U-Boot Badges has always been one of my Favorit Awards , and I post pis of one of my Favortit U-Boot Awards "GWL" in zink .

Jan Arne

Hi Gordon,

Can you confirm that Frank and Reif did NOT make U boat badges, I have seen a few recently at fairs being sold as original and I must say the the quality is excellent.

Thanks,

Phil

The quality is good, but some details are wrong and never F&R has made this type of badge.

More, I have never seen or known a F&R coming in a group.

Phil,

Michel is absolutely correct. Frank & Reif did not make these badges. I believe all the original known badges from this firm (Army) are mid / late war zinkers with the makers name in relief, so that the name was reverse stamped into the die face.

I don't think this firm (which described itself as "metal stampers" as opposed to award manufacturers, only came into the badge market in the second half of the war. I don't believe they were making Tombak naval badges like this in the first half of the war.

The badge is a fairly close copy of the Schwerin type and can also be found unmarked. The unmarked ones fooled a lot of people when they first appeared and were passed off as unmarked Schwerins.

Hi Gordon,

Can you confirm that Frank and Reif did NOT make U boat badges, I have seen a few recently at fairs being sold as original and I must say the the quality is excellent.

Thanks,

Phil

Phil,

Michel is absolutely correct. Frank & Reif did not make these badges. I believe all the original known badges from this firm (Army) are mid / late war zinkers with the makers name in relief, so that the name was reverse stamped into the die face.

I don't think this firm (which described itself as "metal stampers" as opposed to award manufacturers, only came into the badge market in the second half of the war. I don't believe they were making Tombak naval badges like this in the first half of the war.

The badge is a fairly close copy of the Schwerin type and can also be found unmarked. The unmarked ones fooled a lot of people when they first appeared and were passed off as unmarked Schwerins.

Phil,

Thanks for the information, it would appear that a few dealers still think they are genuine and are selling for genuine prices. I can see how people could be fooled into thinking they are real. All the ones that I have seen have been made of brass or tombak. I haven't seen any zinc ones.

I have a ? for the U-boot Experts .

Have it in any Vets. groups or in early Collection been found U-Boot Badges made of Aluminum ?

Jan Arne

Hello Jan,

Not to my knowledge, aluminium fragility and oxydation are probably the reasons for that.

But I have one in silver 835.

Regards,

Michel

Michel ! Thanks for info .

I assumed that it not was any known U-Boot Awards made by Aluminium . But it is always nice to get confirmed .

Reason I ask was that for many Years ago , before I was able to go online on Internett . I had one U-Boot Badge in Aluminium or an other Aluminium Alloy . Other Collectors here in Norway ment it was a fake , so I sold it as a Fake . Strange is that I have never seen any of them later . Detail on front was a bit soft , and pin-setup was like on a zinc badge .

But sadly I have not any pics or scan of the award .

Jan Arne

Edited by Jan Arne S