News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A Christmas present from my daughter

Hello Everyone,

Much to my surprise one of my Christmas gifts this year from my youngest daughter and her boy friend was this 1914 EK 2 with the ring marked S-W. More amazing than the cross was the story behind the gift.

If there is one area my youngest daughter, or any of my other four children for that matter, has not interest in it's military history and even less so for the collecting of medals. It seems she figured this lack of interest on her part would make the surprise even greater, which it was. She started by contacting, by email, my good friend and fellow GMIC member, Samir, in India, for his advice on what to buy and where to purchase a medal. He coached her and suggested a dealer we both purchase from who has a shop in the Toronto area. So Lacey and Alex set out for the shop of emedals which is about an hour's drive from here. The weather would have stopped me from such a trip at this time or the year but being young and a young lady on a mission she, well "they", braved the weather and made the trip. They had checked the other Iron Crosses in my collection to make sure they got one that I didn't have before the journey. Now, the family is more than welcome in my collection room but going in the room is right up there with catching spiders, that seems to be something only for Dad.

I think the biggest suprrise was to realize that someone has been listening to me when I have been prattling on about collecting and my collector friends. You just never know who's listening.

I'll "pencil" Lacey back into the will now. :whistle:

Regards

Brian

post-1801-086397100 1293374794_thumb.jpg

Here is the reverse.

What looks like rust on the frame is actually the silver which has tarnished. I attempted to take a photo that showed this better but the camera and my photographic skills are not good enough.

I hope you like the cross, I sure do. It is one of my prised possessions, as you can well imagine.

Regards and all the best of the season.

Brian

post-1801-091500000 1293375025_thumb.jpg