News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here is a question I have been asking myself for ages.

It concerns the filters on my WW1 gasmasks.

Most came with a bit of rust that does not seem to stop.

Would you consider piercing them from the top (through the screw part so it would not be seen when mounted on the mask)... and emptying out the contents... then treating it to stop rust?

Optically it would change nothing.... but it would damage the filter.... and save them.....

• Replies 154
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The filters contain charcoal grains. Charcoal absorbs all types of substances, but what is causing the rust is the presence of moisture which combines with whatever degraded compounds were absorbed at one time. What can be used to reduce the pH levels to something in the near normal range is to use old fashioned baking soda/powder that bakers use, or sodium bicarbonate and rub down the metal parts. If you want to go one step further, dump some inside the filter opening and use a vaccum cleaner on the other end. That will suck it into the carbon layers.

Then keep the mask, filter, and carrying can in a dry storage area or display case of it's own.

The baking soda won't hurt the mask (I'm assuming it's the mid/late war leather type and not the earlier war "Gummimaske"), or any of the various components.

Oh yes, one last thing. Wash your hands really well after handling masks and filters. Almost all of the gas compunds have degraded in the last 90 years or so, but some of the degraded compounds can cause problems if you don't decontaminate yourself afterwards. You don't want to rub your eyes, nose, urinate/defecate without washing -FIRST-.....and esecially one other thing!

Les

Edited by Chris Boonzaier

• 9 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Hello.

Could anyone tell me how much one of these are worth now?

I bought one for about £25 ($41) a few weeks ago, the leather is in general good condition but its missing that draw-string at the front.

The tin has quite a few dents.

It mentions that the soldier was stationed in Belgium in 1918 and the filter has been written on with a yellow red paint saying "Jerry watch him" on it.

Im quite new to collecting militara and am wondering whether this was a good buy or not?

Thanks =].

Edited by Sinnorf

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a fantastic price!

Sure its a German one and not one of the Belgian ones? They are worth a pack of fags and a mars bar.

Best

Chris

Thanks for the response.

I was told by someone that it looked like a good example of a german gas mask.

Here are some photos of the tin and mask.

5848_1096870510697_1494636265_30254019_25848_1096870310692_1494636265_30254014_4

On the bottom side of the tin, there are words written in white-red paint, most of it is scratched off, so all that is really visible is the word "Belgium", and near to it is a small wierd red stamp.

There was also a circular piece of paper that was written in German inside wich what looks to me like the gass masks manual.

Does it seem to you like a Belgian mask to you or is it indeed German?<br>And what do you think is its value?<br>Thank you =].

Edited by Sinnorf

Wow, it sounds like I made a great purchase, especially finding one all the way down here in South Africa.

Also, the words on the filter make out "Jerry Watch Him".

Does anyone have an idea how this got there? I would think that the owner of the mask had been captured by a Brittish soldier, who had then took his mask and painted that on it.

• 1 year later...

A small item but poignant in it's history. This was captured in the heavy fighting of the Oise-Aisne offensive, where the US 32nd Division earned the name, "Les Terribles". Percy Totten, of F company, 126th Infantry, 32nd Division was in the vanguard of the fighting. After a heavy allied barrage on the German trenches, the 126th attacked and gained the trench line. With bullets wizzing by him, Percy rolled into the trench, as he described, "filled with German dead". During a rest in the trench, Percy took this gas mask, before F company advanced. The original owner, who got this from Percy, tells me he was always haunted by remembering this. He did not sleep remembering the dead piled in the trenches.

The mask is named. I wish I could trace his name. Unlike the helmet, which had both individuals surviving the war....this story is different. It reminds me of the cost of the items we collect. The German died, and lost his future. Percy was haunted, and dammed to no rest in his survival. This to me shows the massive cost of human conflict

• 1 year later...
    • 4 months later...

Here's the top of my early can. The rivets are for the cage inside the lid. The Gebrauchsanweisung is in the lid, rather than at the bottom. Inside, at the bottom is a sheet metal "buffer", that keeps the filter from resting on the bottom of the can. I suspect that was for air circulation to help keep the filter dry. The lid is owner marked to, "Zahlm. Sonntag, Sanitäts Komp. Nr. 566".

Chip

Edited by Chip