News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

Hi,

Maybe time for me to come back...

Here is what I propose :

Who am I (give both names)?

Ivan Sanchin & Alex Ganchin

Who did I work for?

Stalin

What organization did I have to join in order to work for him?

KGB

What did I do for him?

I was his private projectionist

My story was told in two ways... what were they?

The movie "The inner circle" (1991)

And... ???

Am I too far ? :))))

Cheers.

Ch.

• Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES!!!! :jumping: :jumping: Knew someone would get it! Congrats!

I'll give you the second way it was told... by book which was by the same name. I'd highly recommend both to anyone who has not seen the film or read same. Great story!

Now, did you want to go for the bonus point or should I just tell what was in the clues? :whistle:

Dan :cheers:

Thanks Dan,

To be fair, I discovered the question tonight, and it took me only 10 minutes to find the answer.

I found the clues interesting : projections, Tom Hulce, daughter...

Maybe you want to elaborate more on this very interesting story.

And, thanks again : I have not seen yet thye movie, but will do !!! :)))

Cheers.

Ch.

PS : Do I deserve 2 points ? :)))

Well, just elaborate on the clues (not the pics so much... just the text). You say "projections" but how did I do that... as well as some other hints done in the same way.

Here's the trailer:

Articles:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Ivan_Sanchin

http://en.wikipedia....cle_(1991_film)

I will post the full film over in my Books & Films section. :D

Movie:

http://www.amazon.co...15944847&sr=8-4

Book:

http://www.amazon.co...5945097&sr=8-28

This was originally geared to American viewers but ironically it didn't do well here... although it did in other countries. I think it gives an excellent fear for the paranoia in Soviet life in those days and life there in general.

Again I highly recommend both the film and the book. :beer:

Christophe... I've thought on it and feel like what the hay... you got it in ten minutes when no one else could in days... so yeah, two points.

Re: the clues, basically I used the word "projections" several times, highlighting it each time and also saying to "read" the clues, highlighting that word and/or phrase as well. The film was also known as "The Projectionist" and even had someone not known that, it was about Stalin's private "projectionist". :whistle:

I finally even worked in the words "inner" and "circle" close to each other in the same sentence, highlighting both of the words. So in essence I gave the title hence the answer there. :P

I also gave pics, including one of Tom Hulce standing beside the real Alexander Sergeevich Ganshin.

Jim, you mentioned "film" in several of your posts... so close you were on fire. But of course not a director, etc.

I figured at the very least, especially when I posted better pics of Tom Hulce including those from two of his other big rolls in Animal House and Amadeus that someone would at least have known that was him, checked his filmography and thus found the answer.

Literally the answer was there staring everyone in the face... just had to "connect the dots" as I suggested.

Well, over to your Christophe for the next question. Congratulations on a job well done! :beer: Jim, please add two points to Christophe's score. Many thanks! :beer:

Thanks Dan. :)

To be fair again, only one point for me, please, as it is the common rule, whatever simple or complex is the question... :)

I will come back to you as soon as possible with a new challenge.

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Well done Christophe!!! One point awarded for the reply - after all it only took you 10 minutes :cheeky:

I was stumped. Clueless and did not know which direction to search. I also kept thinking Russian Cinema but do not know much about that. So I am glad Christophe came to our rescue!!!!

Christophe, you moved up by two places and the next correct reply should get you in 4th place...unless Valter scores first.

The score now stands as follows:

14 points - JimZ

12 points - Harvey

9 points - Hauptmann

3 points - Valter

3 points - Christophe

2 points - kapten_windu

2 points - Gunner 1

Question 45 belongs to Chrisophe!!!

Well done once again to both Hauptmann for the question and Christophe on the last one!

So, my turn, for Question 45...

I am a Lenin statue, the only one remaining in the city where I was erected.

I have been vandalised twice these last years, and am now under good protection.

1. Where am I located (city) ?

2. What happened to me when I was first vandalised, and when ?

3. What happened again to me for the second vandalisation, and when ?

4. Who is now assuming my protection ?

Good hunt and good luck !! :)

Cheers.

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Unless of course...its the statue of Lenin in kaliningrad......

KALININGRAD, November 6 (RIA Novosti) - A monument to Soviet leader Vladimir Lenin has been daubed with orange paint in the Russian Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad, a spokesman for the city's administration told RIA Novosti on Friday.

"It [the act of vandalism] was discovered this morning. Police are already investigating it," the official said.

He said three teams of street cleaners were immediately called to remove the paint from the monument. It took them several hours and more than 60 liters of acetone and other solvents to clean the statue.

The local administration put the cost of cleaning up the damage at 20,000 rubles ($700).

The local Communist Party branch said the statue was damaged to prevent them from holding a rally to mark the anniversary of the Bolshevik Revolution on November 7.

This is the second time this year the statue in Kaliningrad has been defaced. On May 5 the monument was splattered with black paint. The vandals, who have not been found, wrote "Remember the victims of the Red Terror" near the statue."

Jim :cheers:

1. Where am I located (city) ? - KALININGRAD

2. What happened to me when I was first vandalised, and when ? 5 May 2009 - Remember the victims of Red Terror in black paint

3. What happened again to me for the second vandalisation, and when ? 6 November 2009 - Spattered with Orange paint

4. Who is now assuming my protection ? Erm... the State?

There is of course the statue of Lenin near Finlandskaya Station in St Pete that had a hole blown right through it. However, I am unsure of other acts of vandalism against this statue and I am sure that in St Pete, there are several other effigies of Lenin for this statue to be considered the only one...which is why I went for the Kaliningrad, twice documented as being vandalised.

A pic would however help be more definitive (PM on its way).

Hi Jim,

I sent you the pic...

For any reason I can't explain (except I recently moved to IE8...) I can't post pics on the forum, and the reply options are very "poor"...

Meanwhile : about your answers : It is neither Kaliningrad nor StP...

Cheers.

Ch.

1. Where am I located (city) ? Kiev - on Taras Shevchenko Boulevard.

2. What happened to me when I was first vandalised, and when ? On or about 1 July 2009, vandals attacked me with sledgehammers and broke off my nose and my left hand.

3. What happened again to me for the second vandalisation, and when ? On 27 November 2009, I was again attacked by Ukrainian nationalists who hurled red paint at me moments after I was unveiled following my restoration from the previous attack.

4. Who is now assuming my protection ? Well, probably the police or the local communist group. But really it doesn't matter since I'm due to be torn down pretty soon.

1. Where am I located (city) ? Kiev - on Taras Shevchenko Boulevard.

2. What happened to me when I was first vandalised, and when ? On or about 1 July 2009, vandals attacked me with sledgehammers and broke off my nose and my left hand.

3. What happened again to me for the second vandalisation, and when ? On 27 November 2009, I was again attacked by Ukrainian nationalists who hurled red paint at me moments after I was unveiled following my restoration from the previous attack.

4. Who is now assuming my protection ? Well, probably the police or the local communist group. But really it doesn't matter since I'm due to be torn down pretty soon.

Harvey is the winner !!!!!

For the question #4, it is the Communist Party of Ukraine who is assuming the protection of the statue.

Well done Harvey (without the pic... :(( )

Your turn, now !!!

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Well done Harvey and the last point goes to you - You're almost on top of the chart :jumping:

14 points - JimZ

13 points - Harvey

9 points - Hauptmann

3 points - Valter

3 points - Christophe

2 points - kapten_windu

2 points - Gunner 1

Question 46 is all yours!!!

As a general rule always report these issues in the Forum Software Error and troubleshooting section so that Nick will be able to look into the issue and see if he can help out.

Christophe - I did not get any mails from you on neither of the two mails I sent you...perhaps your box just wants to be called "computer" instead of "ordinateur" ;)

Regards,

Ok here's my question:

I came to Tallinn harbor when my captain became ill.

I was boarded, had my crew interned, and much of my equipment was confiscated.

However, four days later my crew escaped, and I slipped out of the harbor on a foggy night.

My escape was used as a pretext by the Soviet Union to annex Estonia, under the guise of "defense and mutual assistance."

Who am I?

Edited by Harvey