News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

THE SOVIET QUIZ - 2011 - QUIZ CLOSED

• Replies 1.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol Windu....I doubt they were still using chariots till the 1950s. Soviet technology may have been primitive at times, with reliance being placed on numerical advantage rather then than technological superiority. But to actually suggest chariots!!!! :cheeky:

Jim :cheers:

Windu, its pointless posting links as general as google.com or Hermiatge Museum..... don't forgot you need to give a definite answer on the thread, and the use the link to supplement the reply ;)

google.com would otherwise be the reply to ALL questions!!

The only thing I can think of are horse drawn ambulances or horse transportation of troops and supplies....running dry at this point.... mebbe windu has a better idea.....

YES!!!!!!!!!! Jim, you finally find it - tachanka, sometimes translated as "assault cart" or "machine-gun cart" was a fusion of ancient (chariot or cart) and modern (machine gun) and served in cavalry units, most notably during Civil war. Many believe it was invented by Makhno, although it was in use in tzar's army already. This was the only way heavy and bulky machine guns could follow swift moves of cavalry units.

It became legendary in and after Civil war, starring in many movies (i.e. Chapayev, Esli zavtra voyna and many others), songs, literature (i.e. Isaak Babel's short story "Learning about tachanka"). It was still used in WW2, although quite obsolete, and was retired only in 1950's when Soviet army disbanded cavalry units. Her bigger, younger cousins are tanks and other combat vehicles, who took both the role of cavalry and cavalry's fire support - tachanka. More aqbout the name issue etc. in wikipedia. On russian wiki page, you have more pictures, including recently restored tachanka that was found in some woods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachanka

http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A2%D0%B0%D1%87%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BA%D0%B0

here's the song, one of my all-time, all-world favorite songs; the cartoon is called Songs of firey years.

the monument in Kahkovka, nowdays Ukraine

http://www.photoukraine.com/english/photos/region/27/581

This was tough for me Valter as I was not really familiar with the Tachanka..... had heard some of the songs like "Esli Zavtra Vojna" but did not know that the Tachanka starred in it.... I learnt something really new with this question!! Thanks!!!

The score is presently as follows:

5 points - JimZ

3 points - Hauptmann (Dan)

3 points - Harvey

2 points - Valter

1 point - kapten_windu

Question 15 is next.....

Windu, we were really racing for the last answer so I'd like to pass on the honour of the next question to you.... do you accept this honour???

OK, thank you Jim.. :)

We are 13 BIG Soviet sisters,

Nikita 'aborted' 17 of our other sisters before they were born,

One of us was 'adopted' by Indonesia and changed her name in 60's..

1. What's our name?

2. What's the new name of our sister that being adopted by Indonesia?

I'll add some clues later if it's necessary.. :)

That's the 1) Sverdlov Class Cruiser.... of which there were 13...of which 2) the Ordzhonikidze was sold to Indonesia and renamed the Kri Irian...

What link :whistle:

But you can find them through a wiki search.....

Some questions are easier than others and are general knowledge and require little or no search.....others like the tachanka had me lost and searching and coming up with a horses rear end.....!!!! :cheeky:

The score is presently as follows:

6 points - JimZ

3 points - Hauptmann (Dan)

3 points - Harvey

2 points - Valter

1 point - kapten_windu

Question 16 is next.....

Question 16

OK.... this question is a tougher challenge as its a multipart question. Being question 16, here are 16 of our top soviet military men below.....

For each of them I would like the number of the picture and corresponding rank/title and name.

eg:

1) General Kapten Windu

2) Marshal Hauptmann

3) Marshal Valter......

16) General JimZ :)

Some are easy, others are easier....

The person to answer first giving all 16 answers will win..... so its up to you to decide on your posting strategy... you can either post the ones you know and help the next person along or I would prefer it if you hold back until you have a full answer.

However do lets us know many you have identified so far - if nobody can identify them all, the point will be awarded to the person with the highest number of correct guesses.

Upon receiving the first correct reply, I will post the original article from which this scan is taken with the name of each of man and an interesting short description of each.

Good luck with this treasure hunt.

As a note... these are top notch people so although there are 16 of them, they come from a very restricted pool of names. The topic is not as vast as you may initially think... Keep the info flowing so that I'll help out with some global hints if you need....

Again, many are instantly recognisable through their looks, insigna, or awards.......

Ok, here's my foray into the latest quest:

1. Marshal of Soviet Union Kirill MERETSOV

2. Marshal of Soviet Union Leonid GOVOROV

3. Marshal of Soviet Union Ivan BAGRAMAYAN

4. General Ivan CHERNYAKOVSKY

5. Marshal of Soviet Union Ivan KONIEV

6. Chief Marshal of Tank Troops Pavel ROTMISTROV

7. Chief Marshal of Artillery Nikolai VORONOV

8. Chief Marshal of Aviation Alexander NOVIKOV

9. Marshal of Soviet Union Alexander VASILEVSKY

10. Marshal of Soviet Union Boris SHAPOSHNIKOV

11. Marshal of Tank Troops Yakov FEDERENKO

12. Chief Marshal of Aviation Alexander GOLOVANOV

13. Marshal of Artillery Nikolai YAKOVLEV

14. Marshal of Engineering Troops Mikhail VOROBIEV

15. Marshal of Soviet Union Semyon BUDENNYI

16. Marshal of Soviet Union Semyon TIMOSHENKO

Edited by Harvey

Well done on the reply Harvey.... You have managed to answer them all.

I think the Marshals of the Soviet Union were the easiest - instantly recognisable from their faces, epaulettes and even orders (such as the order of victory in one case). The other Marshals/generals may have been a touch harder, but the epaulettes indicated their branch and the marshals star indicated their rank.

I hope it was more trouble than it seemed for all.

For the record, Dan messaged me to tell me he had found twelve of these so he also deserves a pat on the back. However, as Harvey got the full list first, he gets the point.

Well done indeed Harvey!!!!

Edited by JimZ